UKBouldering.com

Is this a scam or would it work? (Read 5750 times)

Tubbs 15

• regular
Is this a scam or would it work?
August 29, 2006, 11:59:27 pm
I was on a site that had some information on training for climbing and there was a link at the bottom to this   http://www.howtoclimbthreegradesharder.com/   
I'm always sceptical of this sort of thing, and i looks like a scam because of all the massive headings and buzz words, look at the amount of writing! Alot of these types of things tend to come in bits or on a set of DVDs that you either pay loads for over a period of time or where you pay a smaller lump sum, but this is only £11. Anyone tried it or has any opinions on whether you think its a scam or not, seems like a pretty genuine bloke, what could possibly go wrong?  :whistle:

Tubbs  ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 12:37:56 am
The more you post the more I think you're just trolling  :-\

You've got to be kidding haven't you?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#2 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:33:59 am
stop trolling and get out climbing. thats how you will climb 3 grades harder

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#3 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:37:46 am
I'll teach you how to climb 3 grades harder in 90 minutes for 60 quid. 

No refunds.    It could work.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:45:29 am
I'll do it for £59.50 and throw in a 15% refund if I don't succeed (unlikely IMO)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:50:21 am
40 quid & a Toffee Crisp!  Still no refunds!

Tubbs 15

• regular
#6 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 12:58:24 pm
i climb everyday wherever i can so don't make assumptions that i spend all my time on the internet. This isn't a very nice forum because the other forums i use (Parkour and Mountain biking) are very nice and helpful and give you friendly advice whereas on this forum the only thing I've received is everyone ignoring my posts and when they do post they are either insults or telling me to go practice more and stuff like that, i thought experienced people were supposed to help out the n00bs and teach them so that they one day match up to the standard and skill level of the experienced people, and I'm the one getting bad karma points, wheres the logic in that?

Tubbs  ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 01:02:56 pm

Nobody has insulted you as far as I can see.

No book is going to make you climb 3 grades harder, and that website is so bad I wouldn't buy anything from it anyway - if the guy can't produce a half readable website, what's his book going to be like?

There's plenty of good training info on the web already.

tubbs

• regular
#8 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 01:12:32 pm
The guy who wrote the "book" is called Mick Ward and he's genuine.

I've got a copy, and everything he says makes sense. I don't have the free time to implement his action plans, but if I did I would certainly be climbing harder. I could equally argue, however, that if I had more free time I'd be climbing harder anyway!!!

Tubbs (the original one!)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#9 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 01:20:08 pm
1 negative karma point.  Meh!  I had 22 before Bubba reset it.  Andy_E had close to a trillion.  He don't care!

...go practice more...

That there above Tubbs, your complaint, is almost certainly the most pertinent, salient,soundest advice you will ever receive about climbing.  Practice really does make perfect. Why you winge so?

Tubbs 15

• regular
#10 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 01:23:22 pm
I've had the nickname 'Tubbs' for about 4 years if you have had it longer i will agree that you are the original tubbs but until then this means war! No I'm only joking, i don't like fighting.

Tubbs  ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 01:47:27 pm
i i thought experienced people were supposed to help out the n00bs and teach them so that they one day match up to the standard and skill level of the experienced people,

I must have not been informed of this rule.

I'm suspecting you are a troll.

Paz

• junky
#12 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 02:01:57 pm
He's talking about route grades, it wouldn't work for boulder grades.  Basically you take your typical trad bumbly who to their credit onsights their way up many routes but endures lots of faff, say on gritstone VD cracks.  Then you introduce them to sport climbing and possibly get half a grade out of convenience. They've gone on to do one of portlands few 4s say.  Then you tell them to redpoint and get the standard two (french) grades increase from your onsight grade - they've done a 6a after top roping.  Then you tell them to train a bit and work a project that suits them into the ground over a month, and they might achieve one route three grades harder, but which ever one of the many limestone 6a+s in the world they've found they can do is probably a long way from the grit cracks they started on. 

If you don't know much about the above process then the book will indeed explain it to you, albeit in much the same patronising mangement jargon self help speak that is a little bit improved from the website.  You have to pay for this, the same advice that everyone else gives you for free, or the placebo effect won't work. 

But basically, -I've been reading a lot lately - the only worthwhile books about climbing are guide books and ones with plenty of big pictures in.

Tubbs 15

• regular
#13 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:35:51 pm
What do you mean by a 'troll' I've heard it used before apart from in the obvious fairy tale. Whats this i see, another bad karma point just because i said something that goes against what you think or we have a little tiff.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#14 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 06:47:05 pm
If you're really keen to see some literature despite some sound advice you'll find on here by searching through previous threads, try obtaining Training for Climbing by Eric Horst. You'll find it on Amazon and be sorted. It's as close to a manual you seem to be looking for as you'll get.

Tubbs 15

• regular
#15 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 07:32:40 pm
I wasn't asking for a manual i just wanted to know peoples views on this book and if it was genuine then i was going to consider buying it, i always buy magazines and books on things i enjoy because i like to know more about it so i can improve, thanks alot for the suggestion monolith I'll take a look at it now.

Tubbs  ;D

dave

#16 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 30, 2006, 11:07:33 pm
If you don't know much about the above process then the book will indeed explain it to you, albeit in much the same patronising mangement jargon self help speak that is a little bit improved from the website.  You have to pay for this, the same advice that everyone else gives you for free, or the placebo effect won't work.

where do we get these placebos?  :o

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 07:53:33 am
Ask your GP for a prescription.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#18 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 07:58:14 am
Pssst!  I know where you can ged it, if you wan it?

(50 Dinari's?!  Fuck off!)

erm, sam

• forum hero
#19 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 10:17:43 am
The only climbing book worth buying, or, one of the best climbing books worth buying, and the only one to really move climbing training forward since "Performance Rock Climbing" is "The Self Coached Climber" by Dan Hague.
It has all the ususal stuff about endurance and power training, but it really goes into how  to train movement to optomise effeciency and increase skill levels. It is a very obvious, but so far overlooked aspect of climbing that is KEY to getting better.....

a dense loner

• forum hero
#20 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 11:19:46 am
good to see paz is back with his one line answers ;)

training and climbing, training and climbing

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#21 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 11:30:51 am
Tubbs15:  There's a guy on this site that does one-on-one training: www.johnnydawes.com  Check it out. I don't know what he charges, but he's great with beginners.

tubbs

• regular
#22 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 01:20:31 pm
I've had the nickname 'Tubbs' for about 4 years if you have had it longer i will agree that you are the original tubbs but until then this means war! No I'm only joking, i don't like fighting.

Tubbs  ;D

Been called "tubbs" since before you were born..... really

bugger - that makes me feel old!

:beer2:

lego

#23 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 01:48:09 pm
I found this pretty good (although still can't do a one arm lock off...), but in the end it's just techniques to take with you outside. Just get climbing...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0934641773/002-3232302-8084033?v=glance&n=283155

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
August 31, 2006, 08:54:49 pm
Alright don't laugh but I bought this a year ago, I did have a beer in me at the time though. Anyway basically it is just as has been said, if you have never tried really hard at something you will improve if you put more effort in... But the rest of it is the guy saying how he lost a tonne of weight until he was about 50 odd kilo I think. So I would definitely NOT reccomend it. Unless you want it as a present for someone who you don't have the balls to tell they are fat?

Richard

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#25 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
September 01, 2006, 10:28:39 am
The author of that book once tried tried impress/woo my wife by playing her a song on his guitar as the sun set at a crag.....unfortunately the crag was horseshoe and the effect was so cringe worthy that my wife to be totally ignored him

Paz

• junky
#26 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
September 01, 2006, 04:27:36 pm
I've been trying to monologue into my thesis instead of on here Dense

With all that movement efficiency thing - does any one else think that that's bollocks?  OK egyptianing and all that is all very well when you're 5c jug hauling.  At your limit you do whatever the rock demands.  Even on redpoints it's just about having a good sequence and getting the easy stuff dialled.  And what's all this about it being important to concentrate on breathing? Eh?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#27 Re: Is this a scam or would it work?
September 01, 2006, 04:47:12 pm
The author of that book once tried tried impress/woo my wife by playing her a song on his guitar as the sun set at a crag.....unfortunately the crag was horseshoe and the effect was so cringe worthy that my wife to be totally ignored him

:lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal