UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138068 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Perfect Days

Yakusho is in his 60s but still handsome, his clothes are supposed to be poor and basic but he looks like he’s modelling for Margaret Howell.

Having just come back from a couple of weeks in Japan, that seems entirely plausible - a huge proportion of the people I saw there were strikingly stylish.  Nothing fancy, just simple, classy, well-fitted clothes - it was like everyone was auditioning for a part in a classic Hollywood film opposite Cary Grant.  I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror).  It was a bit of culture shock when I transferred in Singapore to a flight back to Manchester...

Yossarian

• forum hero

American Fiction

Deservedly Oscar nominated. I'm still not entirely sure whether, as a fully paid up member of the white middle class, I'm actually the butt of the central joke but it had me fully engaged throughout and laughing out loud a lot. Jeffrey Wright is absolutely brilliant, loads of wonderful little moments of pure exasperation which he often communicates without saying a word.

Started this last night and it's absolutely wonderful...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Past Lives is on Netflix. Quiet, moving, great understated performances with sometimes fairly limited dialogue.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Perfect Days

Yakusho is in his 60s but still handsome, his clothes are supposed to be poor and basic but he looks like he’s modelling for Margaret Howell.

Having just come back from a couple of weeks in Japan, that seems entirely plausible - a huge proportion of the people I saw there were strikingly stylish.  Nothing fancy, just simple, classy, well-fitted clothes - it was like everyone was auditioning for a part in a classic Hollywood film opposite Cary Grant.  I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror).  It was a bit of culture shock when I transferred in Singapore to a flight back to Manchester...

* I think I saw two slovenly Japanese people in two weeks (except obviously when I looked in a mirror)

For the avoidance of doubt (and so as not to bewilder anyone who has met me), I am not Japanese!

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
That ryhmes with my experiences from fifteen years ago. I always felt a bit shabby for two years. After I left Japan, I stopped over in Stockholm and got a reverse culture chock when I thought that every Swedish man dressed like an unusually down-on-their luck homeless person.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

American Fiction

Deservedly Oscar nominated. I'm still not entirely sure whether, as a fully paid up member of the white middle class, I'm actually the butt of the central joke but it had me fully engaged throughout and laughing out loud a lot. Jeffrey Wright is absolutely brilliant, loads of wonderful little moments of pure exasperation which he often communicates without saying a word.

Started this last night and it's absolutely wonderful...

We watched it last weekend and loved it. Proper clever, very funny and tender too. Brilliant film.

We also watched BlackBerry (or whatever it’s called) about the the rise and fall of Research In Motion (RIM) and the device. Funny and a great story of perseverance and ultimately hubris and greed. Worthwhile.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I really enjoyed it but I'm the kind of person who enjoys a Japanese-German art-house movie.

Added to the list Duncan  :popcorn:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The Accountant is on netflix at the moment. I saw this in the cinema when it was released but have really enjoyed rewatching it a few years later. Slick and with plenty of action and a bit of humour.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
The Accountant is on netflix at the moment. I saw this in the cinema when it was released but have really enjoyed rewatching it a few years later. Slick and with plenty of action and a bit of humour.

Just seen this. It's like Ben Affleck was conflicted about making either Rainman or a Jason Statham film and then decided "why not both!?". Proper Friday night entertainment. Good recommendation, Toby!

I am still processing Oppenheimer (saw it last weekend) -  currently seeing it as an ungainly cut-and-shut.

andy popp

• forum hero
Watched two great films last weekend: Anatomy of a Fall, which has already been mentioned I think. On the surface a courtroom drama (and it is a really good courtroom drama) and whodunnit, it is at its heart a drama of adult human relations. Second, Society of the Snow, a dramatisation of the well-known 1972 Andes air crash survival story (previously filmed as Alive), a really superb piece of filmmaking/storytelling. I remember Alive being good too but I saw it years ago and couldn't compare the two films now.

seankenny

• forum hero
We also watched Anatomy of a Fall last night. A very good study of how other people’s marriages are ultimately unknowable.

Also - the French court system WTAF? Can’t imagine an easier way for bias and prejudice to enter the legal system than that mess. I was very much reminded of Camus’ The Outsider.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
We also watched Anatomy of a Fall last night. A very good study of how other people’s marriages are ultimately unknowable.

Also - the French court system WTAF? Can’t imagine an easier way for bias and prejudice to enter the legal system than that mess. I was very much reminded of Camus’ The Outsider.

I really enjoyed Anatomy of a Fall 'in the moment'. Well acted and the family dynamic stuff felt true. But, I've since felt that either the French legal system is utterly insane or the courtroom scenes are complete nonsense and let the film down badly. Expert witnesses being allowed to throw out entirely speculative scenarios and then effectively say "go on, prove that didn't happen" to a defendant is not how legal systems (should) work. I have acted as an expert witness in UK law, and in Court you can only provide brief answers to highly specific questions from barristers .  And you have to make it very clear in your reports what the evidence is for your views e.g. first hand scene investigation, first-hand witness evidence, or second hand / hearsay accounts. Anyone with experience in France know if flights of the imagination are allowed in Court!?

Teaboy

• forum hero
Mississippi Burning is on Amazon. Has stood the test of time.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Mississippi Burning is on Amazon. Has stood the test of time.

One of my favourite films ever. So good.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground

https://www.actu-juridique.fr/justice/anatomie-dune-chute-ou-la-justice-fantasmee/

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Thoroughly enjoyed The Accountant last night.  Thanks for the recommendations.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I proper fancy seeing Monkey Man

Wellsy

• forum hero
Spaceman - on Netflix. Adam Sandler and Carey Mulligan. Not what I expected but enjoyed a little indie sci fi. Doesn't matter to the story, but I enjoyed that they left the Czech/Korea from the book rather than the obvious switch to America/Russia/China etc
[/quote

I enjoyed the book as well, worth a read

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Society of the Snow, a dramatisation of the well-known 1972 Andes air crash survival story (previously filmed as Alive), a really superb piece of filmmaking/storytelling. I remember Alive being good too but I saw it years ago and couldn't compare the two films now.

Second this, really good,although a tough watch at times. Not recommended if you're about to get on a flight! Reminded me of yet another simpsons joke that had gone straight over my head until now!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Another vote for The Outfit, absolute cracker. It was so well done, great acting, script etc. Best film I've seen in a while

Thanks for the recommendation

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Civil War.
Kirsten Duntz is really good.
Watched it with the family this evening in an empty cinema.
Unanimous opinion: fucking absorbing, feel guilty for enjoying it. Never want to watch it again.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Saw Civil War yesterday too, thought it was amazing. Starts off slow and really cranks up. I thought what Kermode said in his review about the trailer making it look like a Marvel film, but it isn’t was true; it’s more character driven than action.

I’m not sure discussing the politics of the film is a bit spoilery or not but I’ll leave it just in case!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
Saw Civil War yesterday too, thought it was amazing. Starts off slow and really cranks up. I thought what Kermode said in his review about the trailer making it look like a Marvel film, but it isn’t was true; it’s more character driven than action.

I’m not sure discussing the politics of the film is a bit spoilery or not but I’ll leave it just in case!
I was impressed by how little politics there was, under the circumstances.
Apparently the screenplay was written quite some time before Jan 6th and was almost unaltered in production.
Still, easy to ascribe roles to very real players…

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I recently tried to watch The Stranger on Netflix; a warning rather than a recommendation: I couldn't get through more than half an hour of the plodding tedium, before I gave up on it. The cinematography looked pretty good but in my opinion let down by a total lack of any narrative drive, characters or entertainment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Late to the party, but son and I both blown away by Dune 2. Just excellent. Catch it on big screen before it goes.

He's now counting down days 'til Deadpool & Wolverine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal