UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139887 times)

stone

• forum abuser
Anatomy of a fall - is really good.

Usual disclaimer bc no one gets shot in the face but I've got Jew-Twitter for that, fortunately.

I googled Anatomy of a fall and it does sound good -thanks.

I also googled your second sentence to try and understand because that sentence went totally over my head. I failed even with google. I guess it would be tedious for you to explain, but I'm intrigued.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Anatomy of a fall - is really good.

Usual disclaimer bc no one gets shot in the face but I've got Jew-Twitter for that, fortunately.

I googled Anatomy of a fall and it does sound good -thanks.

I also googled your second sentence to try and understand because that sentence went totally over my head. I failed even with google. I guess it would be tedious for you to explain, but I'm intrigued.
Yeah, I'm sort of lost too  :shrug:

Teaboy

• forum hero
Saltburn on Amazon Prime is getting a lot of hype, probably undeserved. Drags a little and then rushes an ending.

Mike Highbury

• addict
Anatomy of a fall - is really good. Usual disclaimer bc no one gets shot in the face but I've got Jew-Twitter for that, fortunately.

That they talk a lot in the film.

Followed by a dose self-satire so that you don't mistake me for the kind of person that likes that sort of thing.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

Bradders

• forum hero
Anatomy of a fall - is really good. Usual disclaimer bc no one gets shot in the face but I've got Jew-Twitter for that, fortunately.

That they talk a lot in the film.

Followed by a dose self-satire so that you don't mistake me for the kind of person that likes that sort of thing.

What on earth are you on about?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Running this through ukb's translate function gives me:

It's not the kind of violent movie that some of you seem to like. I'm currently seeing plenty of violent imagery posted by the Jewish people I follow on Twitter.

I've just seen the latest Studio Ghibli: The Boy and the Heron.

It starts with what feels like a scene from Grave of the Fireflies and the death of the central character's mother. The rest of the film is a physical and psychological search for her. The first act is almost naturalistic, the second and third a quest (or buddy movie) through increasingly psychedelic worlds. Or is it an extended dream sequence after a bang on the head?

It's got many of Miyazaki's favourite themes: an adolescent as central character, world war two, flying, natural disasters, the sea, pantheism, man-made structures reclaimed by nature, and - most of all - a supernatural world hidden in plain sight. It's also got a Fascistic parrot, nods to Sleeping Beauty and Alice in Wonderland, a supreme being that looks like Friedrich Nietzsche whose power derives from a floating rock straight out of Magritte. It's a bit chaotic with too many ideas but also a glorious feast of the imagination and frequently visually stunning. Middle rank Ghibli which still makes it better than 95% of animation.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

I've just seen the latest Studio Ghibli: The Boy and the Heron.

I'm so glad you posted this, so that I don't have to try to explain what the hell it was about! Much if it went right over my head, it was pretty mental.

I think the only message I actually got was: "trying to maintain an unrealistic perfection is fallacy, embrace the real world, warts and all" or something like that....

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I recently watched venom on Netflix; despite the fact that I generally dislike marvel films, this one is a bit more like Deadpool than the ones I find unbearable.
Basically, plenty of cartoon violence and puerile humour with some nicely choreographed action and absolutely no intellect. If you're in the mood for something like that, it's great. If you're after something more cerebral or engaging, it's not this.

andy popp

• forum hero
We watched “Maestro” last night, the Bradley Cooper (co-writer, director, star) film about Leonard Bernstein. Biopics are normally pretty much one of my least favourite genres but I really enjoyed this. I would say it’s more of a character study than a biopic, even if it’s largely chronological. Hugely energetic, some bravura directing and set pieces, great performances from Cooper and Carey Mulligan, and doesn’t shy away from confronting the complexities of its central subject.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yeah we loved it too. Carey Mulligan is outstanding in it. Great movie.

We also did Tár a few days ago.  Duncan’s already done a great write-up. It’s brilliant and Cate Blanchett is extraordinarily good.

The Night of the 12th is another good one.  French film, set in the Briançon valley. A girl is murdered and the police don’t really know what to do.

I bought a copy of the new print of Dersu Uzula on Blu-Ray and had a quiet afternoon by myself thoroughly immersed in this magnificent, quiet classic.

The Railway Children (on iPlayer) was a big hit with W on Christmas Day.

Lopez

• stalker

It's got many of Miyazaki's favourite themes: an adolescent as central character, world war two, flying, natural disasters, the sea, pantheism, man-made structures reclaimed by nature, and - most of all - a supernatural world hidden in plain sight. It's also got a Fascistic parrot, nods to Sleeping Beauty and Alice in Wonderland, a supreme being that looks like Friedrich Nietzsche whose power derives from a floating rock straight out of Magritte. It's a bit chaotic with too many ideas but also a glorious feast of the imagination and frequently visually stunning.

I think the only message I actually got was: "trying to maintain an unrealistic perfection is fallacy, embrace the real world, warts and all" or something like that....

Watching a trailer of the movie on youtube after seeing it mentioned here led me to a biography/documentary on Miyazaki which i found very compelling, so much so that instead of the usual "watch 2 minutes, skip, skip, close tab" SOP i follow with anything over 3 minutes long on youtube i ended up watching the whole 1 hour and 20 minutes glued to the screen.

While it probably doesn't help understand the film itself, it gives a very good understanding on how the film came to be, its themes, Miyazaki's train of thoughts, and maybe its message (haven't watched the film yet)

Defnitely worth a watch for anyone with any interest in his films

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The Killer  Really good,  I thought,  and not just good for a Netflix movie either.  It develops nicely and was a nice angle on the revenge drama genre. It is quite violent,  but not gratuitously so. Plenty of the director's trademark bleak, lonely cinematography.  (David Fincher)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Sounds good Toby.

I watched Sisu on Friday night. Superb schlocky grindcore with several laugh out loud moments. Well worth the ninety minutes.

On the other hand, Boondock Saints is absolutely awful. I stuck with it for over an hour until switching off. Complete crap.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
The Killer  Really good,  I thought,  and not just good for a Netflix movie either.  It develops nicely and was a nice angle on the revenge drama genre. It is quite violent,  but not gratuitously so. Plenty of the director's trademark bleak, lonely cinematography.  (David Fincher)
Watched this twice in two days, obviously thought it was excellent!

seankenny

• forum hero
The Fabelmans - a drama about a boy growing up in 1950s and 60s America, who discovers his passion for movie making whilst his family slowly falls apart. The Fabelmans are really the Spielbergs, barely fictionalised, so this is as lovely and as schmaltzy as you’d expect from that director. I really enjoyed it, but I’m a sucker for mid-century America as a setting and when he’s good Spielberg makes such pleasurable movies.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
 Finally got round to watching Oppenheimer. I thought it was good but not the the "film of the decade" it was touted to be. It seemed to me to be a good solid film that suffered through a combination of that awful American "rat a tat tat" style dialogue where everyone delivers one line responses to everything with extreme rapidity, along with an overly rushed first 40 minutes, which may have set the scene but basically felt to me like they just tried to fit too much in. Ultimately I think they were slightly hamstrung as the aftermath of the war, various hearings etc is simply too dry to be made into a series so film is the best medium and that entails limited time. The test detonation sequence was really excellent, bet that was good in a cinema. Anyway, good film, well acted by everyone throughout, but I'd have stood no chance without subtitles in terms of following the dialogue.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Boondock Saints is absolutely awful. I stuck with it for over an hour until switching off. Complete crap.

I thought it was quite good fun when I watched it about 20 years ago. I think it was a time when that sort of thing was quite popular, but I don't think I am target audience anymore and would probably get annoyed by it now.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Ondra

Ondra (2023) is a musical fantasy film which tells the origin story of Adam Ondra (Timothée Chalamet), featuring his early days as a sport climber.

Plot

The young Adam Ondra arrives in Catalunya on a determined mission to repeat hard routes and put up some new ones of his own. With meagre savings and little in the way of sponsorship, he is forced to belay for money and degrade himself by providing coaching to visiting groups from British climbing walls, including the Westway and the Castle. As a result, he faces mockery from three rival sport climbers - Alex Megos (Jack Gleeson), Chris Sharma (Jake Gyllenhaal), and Daniel Woods (Austin Butler) - all of whom have generous sponsorship deals which allow them to climb full-time.

Unable to afford the exorbitant prices at the grocery shop in Margalef, Adam reluctantly agrees to coach a group from Mile End for the next fortnight. As he coaxes the visiting Londoners up mid 6s at Can Torxa, Adam finds his competitive frustrations begin to melt away, partly aided by the provisions of Hackney-based organic weed entrepreneur and Fr6b onsighter Joshi (Benedict Cumberbatch).

Galvanised by the profound effects of his spiritual awakening, and with the help of Joshi and Dalstonian baker Sienna (Ophelia Lovibond), Adam knocks up a prodigious batch of edibles and delivers them to the house in Bisbal where his three rivals are staying. The show him in, and introduce him to guests Dave Graham (Andrew Garfield) and Alex Honnold (Finn Wolfhard). Adam shares out the delicious-looking brownies.

Things do not go to plan. Alex Megos has a massive whitey, is sick in the bath, and leaves in a taxi for the airport. Dave Graham’s dog bites Honnold before chasing him most of the way to Lleida, with Dave in hot pursuit. Daniel Woods goes all-out, uncorking a bottle of psilocybin-infused Sonoma County zinfandel he’d smuggled out to Spain which he ploughs through determinedly along with a bowl of cargols a la llauna and esqueixada de bacallà.

Whilst Daniel staggers around the house muttering about the curse of the spiders’ eyes, Adam and Chris reconcile their differences and agree to combine forces. In between bouts of uncontrollable giggling, they pack rucksacks, then hitch a ride on the back of an olive farmer’s tractor to Oliana. Chris shows Adam a line he’d bolted back in 2009, and offers him a belay on what will one day become La Dura Dura.

Duma

• forum hero
this has made my day

webbo

• forum hero
 Yoss did you write that Si O’Conner spoof back in the day when he claiming all those V14’s.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Alas no. Intricate Gaelic punctuation isn't really my forte...

webbo

• forum hero
I wonder if it still exists on here?

andy popp

• forum hero
Just back from seeing Barbie, a solid 5/5, haven’t laughed so much in ages. Lots of jokes that will go right over the kids’ heads but had me in stitches. Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie are excellent and the soundtrack is spot on.

Yup. Very funny.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Ondra

Ondra (2023) is a musical fantasy film which tells the origin story of Adam Ondra (Timothée Chalamet), featuring his early days as a sport climber.

Plot

The young Adam Ondra arrives in Catalunya on a determined mission to repeat hard routes and put up some new ones of his own. With meagre savings and little in the way of sponsorship, he is forced to belay for money and degrade himself by providing coaching to visiting groups from British climbing walls, including the Westway and the Castle. As a result, he faces mockery from three rival sport climbers - Alex Megos (Jack Gleeson), Chris Sharma (Jake Gyllenhaal), and Daniel Woods (Austin Butler) - all of whom have generous sponsorship deals which allow them to climb full-time.

Unable to afford the exorbitant prices at the grocery shop in Margalef, Adam reluctantly agrees to coach a group from Mile End for the next fortnight. As he coaxes the visiting Londoners up mid 6s at Can Torxa, Adam finds his competitive frustrations begin to melt away, partly aided by the provisions of Hackney-based organic weed entrepreneur and Fr6b onsighter Joshi (Benedict Cumberbatch).

Galvanised by the profound effects of his spiritual awakening, and with the help of Joshi and Dalstonian baker Sienna (Ophelia Lovibond), Adam knocks up a prodigious batch of edibles and delivers them to the house in Bisbal where his three rivals are staying. The show him in, and introduce him to guests Dave Graham (Andrew Garfield) and Alex Honnold (Finn Wolfhard). Adam shares out the delicious-looking brownies.

Things do not go to plan. Alex Megos has a massive whitey, is sick in the bath, and leaves in a taxi for the airport. Dave Graham’s dog bites Honnold before chasing him most of the way to Lleida, with Dave in hot pursuit. Daniel Woods goes all-out, uncorking a bottle of psilocybin-infused Sonoma County zinfandel he’d smuggled out to Spain which he ploughs through determinedly along with a bowl of cargols a la llauna and esqueixada de bacallà.

Whilst Daniel staggers around the house muttering about the curse of the spiders’ eyes, Adam and Chris reconcile their differences and agree to combine forces. In between bouts of uncontrollable giggling, they pack rucksacks, then hitch a ride on the back of an olive farmer’s tractor to Oliana. Chris shows Adam a line he’d bolted back in 2009, and offers him a belay on what will one day become La Dura Dura.

:lol: I think I just broke a rib.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal