UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139411 times)

mark20

• junky
Also enjoyed the new Chicken Run. When the original came out, my cousin aged 10ish at the time, was totally traumatised by the axe wielding chicken murderer and has been veggie ever since!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Our kids watched the first one quite a few times, along with Early Man when they were little, but now have no recollection of either whatsoever.
However, they watched the Ninjago Movie loads at around the same time (it's ace btw, some really funny scenes) and can recall that practically line for line. So we might have to track down first one for a rewatch, before the second. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
I watched Home Alones 1 and 2 with them over the last couple of weekends. Old but gold. I've never seen them laugh so hard, it was almost physically too much for them.

Be warned, quality drops off a cliff with no 3, not the same without 3 main characters.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
The new Chicken Run is really very good indeed. Far surpassed my expectations of a pointless reboot.

Got this lined up for the Christmas break with the kids. Looking forward to it.

I watched Home Alones 1 and 2 with them over the last couple of weekends. Old but gold. I've never seen them laugh so hard, it was almost physically too much for them.

How old are your kids Will? I am considering letting my oldest watch Home Alone age 5 (nearly 6 he would probably like me to emphasise). I do remember it being quite violent in a slapstick/pratfall way and there are some words I'd prefer he didn't start saying back to me ("butthead") but thought he could probably handle it.

galpinos

• forum hero
Depends on the child, my eldest, at 10, really hates the idea of being left and still refuses to watch it, the youngest very much enjoys physical harm to "baddies".

Wonka is very good though, we all enjoyed it, especially after the awful Johnny Depp effort. Great songs (Neil Hannon), cast and writers aka Paddington with a sprinkling of horrible histories (Simon Farnaby).

galpinos

• forum hero
The new Chicken Run is really very good indeed. Far surpassed my expectations of a pointless reboot.

No Julia Sawalha though!

SA Chris

• forum hero
How old are your kids Will? I am considering letting my oldest watch Home Alone age 5 (nearly 6 he would probably like me to emphasise). I do remember it being quite violent in a slapstick/pratfall way and there are some words I'd prefer he didn't start saying back to me ("butthead") but thought he could probably handle it.

My son has always loved it, but my daughter used to hate seeing anyone get hurt, and wouldn't watch it at that age. She loves it now though.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Got this lined up for the Christmas break with the kids. Looking forward to it.

This is where I look like a terrible parent! The elder is 6 and a half, the younger has just turned 4...
I saw it was on Disney and rated 6+ on there. I wouldn't put it on and leave them to watch it on their own but I think it was OK with parental supervision. There's definitely some dialogue in there which is PG but it's fairly fleeting and is not the focus - they didn't pick up on it.
The violence is all incredibly slapstick and silly.

Going by how my kid's behaviour is negatively affected after watching, I'd give Bluey a higher age rating.

Bradders

• forum hero

No Julia Sawalha though!

Or Mel Gibson... Honestly, I thought missing both of them would bother me but after about 2 minutes I realised I didn't care. The bloke playing Rocky is nowhere near as good but it's easy to overlook.

My wife can often be even more cynical about these things than I can, and early on she said "it's already not as good is it". I said to just give it a chance, and in a few minutes she was laughing away and said after how good it was (insert joke about how she says the same about....etc.)

That said, I read somewhere that the director had claimed not casting Sawalha was because it was a "reboot" more than a sequel. This is pure bullshit. It's a sequel in every way, shape and form. I presume the reboot claim was to try to excuse not casting her because doing so might have been weird without Mel Gibson (I forget why he's now cancelled).

galpinos

• forum hero
No Julia Sawalha though!

Or Mel Gibson... Honestly, I thought missing both of them would bother me but after about 2 minutes I realised I didn't care. The bloke playing Rocky is nowhere near as good but it's easy to overlook......

That said, I read somewhere that the director had claimed not casting Sawalha was because it was a "reboot" more than a sequel. This is pure bullshit. It's a sequel in every way, shape and form. I presume the reboot claim was to try to excuse not casting her because doing so might have been weird without Mel Gibson (I forget why he's now cancelled).

Julia Sawalha lost out because she's too old/wasn't the right/big enough "name" for the re-boot. Gibson lost out due to the domestic violence, antisemitism, racism and sexism.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I thought Cold Pursuit (Netflix) was considerably better than I was expecting. It's pretty funny in a cartoon violence kind of way. Liam Neeson does a fine job of keeping a straight face as almost everyone else in the film gets shot or a variety of other interesting methods of meeting their demise. It's a really silly self parody, but carried off quite well.

We enjoyed it too.  It’s also a remake of the 2014 Norwegian film In Order of Disappearance which is well worth watching.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Recommending again - "Rare Exports - A  Christmas Tale". Just about as unChristmas movie as you can get - gets pretty grim and weird in places. These Fins are a bit nuts. On Freevee.

stone

• forum abuser
We've just seen and really enjoyed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riders_of_Justice

It's quirky and, though in principle it's violent, it feels more like a heartwarming Xmas tale about friendship, family and the random nature of life.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yeah it’s great Stone. Top reccomendation 👍🏼

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Not many days left to watch Our Ladies on C4.
Fabulous little coming of age tale based on Alan Warner's novel The Sopranos.
Scenery & soundtrack look wonderful.
Breaks my heart every time I watch it.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 03:48:18 pm by duncan »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Dumb Money - About the GameStop share price saga. Great fun and enjoyable.

Equalizer 3 - I’ll watch anything with Denzil in it and this one doesn’t disappoint. Predictable but still ace. Dakota Fanning has a leading role as a CIA agent which warmed my heart ‘cos Man on Fire (with her as a child and Denzil as her bodyguard) is one of my all-time favourite films.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Had to stop watching rebel moon last night when the shirtless oiled principled convict was asked to tame the space gryphon in exchange for his freedom which could of happened at any time before the events of the film rolled into his life.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Had to stop watching rebel moon last night when the shirtless oiled principled convict was asked to tame the space gryphon in exchange for his freedom which could of happened at any time before the events of the film rolled into his life.

A truly terrible film, the fact that people keep giving Snyder vast sums of money to make movies is totally bewildering to me. I know new IP sci fi is hard, but this is Jupiter Ascending bad.

Paul B

• forum hero
I had to endure the newest Indiana Jones film "Dial of Destiny" last night (because "family" etc.). I thought it was truly dreadful but not quite as dreadful as its predecessor.

seankenny

• forum hero
Leave the World Behind - a "start of the apocalypse" film on Netflix with Mahershala Ali and Julia Roberts. A solid three star movie that is perfectly acceptable for that quiet time between Christmas and New Year.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Creator - Wow! We both loved it and wish we’d gone to the cinema when it was out. It’s absolutely brilliant.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
The Creator - Wow! We both loved it and wish we’d gone to the cinema when it was out. It’s absolutely brilliant.

Interesting. Both that and Indiana Jones were playing on the ferry (we skipped both in the end). They get similar review scores!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Leave the World Behind - a "start of the apocalypse" film on Netflix with Mahershala Ali and Julia Roberts. A solid three star movie that is perfectly acceptable for that quiet time between Christmas and New Year.

Thanks Sean.  Did the job last night for us both. Enjoyable Christmas Day end-of-the-world drama.

SA Chris

• forum hero

I wish I had too, fully intended, then completely forgot.

Mike Highbury

• addict
Anatomy of a fall - is really good.

Usual disclaimer bc no one gets shot in the face but I've got Jew-Twitter for that, fortunately.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal