UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139623 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 - more of the same as 1 & 2, but story gets in a bit of a mess at times, could easily chop 20 minutes out. Still good fun though. Great songs as always.

Paul B

• forum hero
Agreed.

Although I thought Air was ok, I wasn't convinced by Chris Tucker's performance.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yeah, overdid it a bit, felt like he was channeling Bernie Mac in Oceans 11.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
Watched No Country for Old Men the other night. No words, incredible film. A brilliant nihilistic view into the chaotic and violent descent of society. So many jarring moments which fully subverted my expectations. Excited to read the book too, I’ve heard the movie sticks very close to the reference material.

warmonke

Watched No Country for Old Men the other night. No words, incredible film. A brilliant nihilistic view into the chaotic and violent descent of society. So many jarring moments which fully subverted my expectations. Excited to read the book too, I’ve heard the movie sticks very close to the reference material.
Absolutely amazing film and I can confirm the book is also really good, I'd say it's one of those rare occurrences where the film is as good as (or maybe even better than) the book, mainly because of Javier Bardem's performance.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Absolutely amazing film and I can confirm the book is also really good, I'd say it's one of those rare occurrences where the film is as good as (or maybe even better than) the book, mainly because of Javier Bardem's performance.

Cohen brothers movies are mostly pretty much as good as this in general, I've found.

seankenny

• forum hero
“You know - for kids!”

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

Cohen brothers movies are mostly pretty much as good as this in general, I've found.

Yeah, well, you know, that just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Just re-watched Aliens for the first time in a while with my franchise-ignorant ex-gf (we did Alien last week). Bloody hell it is still good. Maybe better than I remember, I remember all the stand-out quotes and scenes but there's a lot of little bits that add up. Scarcely any dialogue or expressions are wasted.

TobyD

• forum hero
Just re-watched Aliens for the first time in a while with my franchise-ignorant ex-gf (we did Alien last week). Bloody hell it is still good. Maybe better than I remember, I remember all the stand-out quotes and scenes but there's a lot of little bits that add up. Scarcely any dialogue or expressions are wasted.

If you ever get a chance to see Alien on a cinema screen, definitely do it, as good as it is anyway, it's miles better and properly scary on a big screen.

Godzilla Vs Kong
If you can ignore the fact that it's a rubbish plot etc, the giant beasts are amazing. Very good scores on RT but I thought it was basically awful but visually incredible; perhaps better seen as a really good music video with the sound turned off and rage against the machine playing at high volume instead.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought that Deepwater Horizon (Netflix) was worth watching and a reasonable disaster movie.

Always wondered how they were happy to make a dramatisation of Macondo, but one has never been made about Piper Alpha (I know there's a docu). There were a lot more deaths on PA, but still, out of respect for those who died in Macondo, should it have been made? Or made so soon?

TobyD

• forum hero
Children of Men on iPlayer at the moment, I was watching it for the second or third time, although I haven't seen it for years. It's now (post pandemic and Trump etc) an awful lot more terrifying. I wonder if some of the Conservative Party are getting their asylum policy from it now.
I really rate this as excellent dystopian drama and as a very well adapted novel.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Good shout - I need to re-watch that.

Noticed iPlayer has Dunkirk which I also re-watched recently and I think improves with a second viewing. Not that I disliked it first time round, just you spot the interweaving of the stories better.

Watched Max Max: Fury Road on Prime the other day, didn't know what to expect but it was excellent - properly mad, OTT action stuff. Made the mistake of watching it on my phone though, think it would have benefitted more from the big TV.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I love children of men, the extended one shot scenes are excellent.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Watched Max Max: Fury Road on Prime the other day, didn't know what to expect but it was excellent - properly mad, OTT action stuff. Made the mistake of watching it on my phone though, think it would have benefitted more from the big TV.

I watched in on a plane, thought the same, not the best way to see it. Good on Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult for doing something a bit different, must have been fun roles. Tom Hardy is always good value too.

seankenny

• forum hero
Children of Men on iPlayer at the moment, I was watching it for the second or third time, although I haven't seen it for years. It's now (post pandemic and Trump etc) an awful lot more terrifying. I wonder if some of the Conservative Party are getting their asylum policy from it now.

Yeah it definitely felt a bit closer to home. The decayed London sets are brilliant.

SA Chris

• forum hero
And Clive Owen's best role IMO. Perfect for the part.

TobyD

• forum hero
Godzilla (2014) A much better movie than the Kong mash up mentioned above, there is more suspense and a less stupid plot. It also has Bryan Cranston in it; but, the main attraction is in watching huge monsters smash up cities and each other, it's hardly the Godfather, but it is an enjoyable couple of hours.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We watched that on Saturday too. Great fun.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Is it just a remake of the 1998 one, or does it follow on in any way? I know there have been numerous iterations before that.

TobyD

• forum hero
Is it just a remake of the 1998 one, or does it follow on in any way? I know there have been numerous iterations before that.

No, it bears little resemblance to that one; although they both have their merits. The 2014 Godzilla is probably more Japanese and a bit darker than the 1998 one. Jean Reno is always entertaining but the 1998 one is perhaps a bit camp and human interest focused; the 2014 one is more about the big nasty monsters.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Reason I asked is my son loved the 1998 version about 3 years ago. By the sound of it I expect he's ready for this version. Thanks.

Anyone excited by The Creator? Worth a rare cinema trip by the look of it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
The Covenant.

It may surprise some, but I don’t really go in for “War movies”.
The blurb caught my eye, as the Afghan translator is the “hero” throughout the first half. Then I saw it was a Guy Ritchie flick, so I put it on.
Closest thing to “Apocalypse now” for the 21st century, I think.
On Prime.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Still pondering feelings on El Conde, enjoyed but dragged a bit. Hope for more gags, more of ‘What we do in the shadows’ and less ‘The lighthouse’, two possible parents. There’s an amusing slow reveal on one of the main characters, but overall the analogy felt a bit heavy handed.

Re: Children of men. Excellent, must rewatch. Re: Jean Reno, actually paid money to watch this again recently on daughter’s urging. Good stuff.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Godzilla (2014) A much better movie than the Kong mash up mentioned above, there is more suspense and a less stupid plot. It also has Bryan Cranston in it; but, the main attraction is in watching huge monsters smash up cities and each other, it's hardly the Godfather, but it is an enjoyable couple of hours.
Well after watching the trailer, I gave it a watch this evening and I agree, it's a good fun monster movie and done with a fair bit more seriousness and panache - at least in the earlier parts - than many. Could have been a bit more consistent towards the end and maybe there was a bit too much Not Godzilla and not enough Godzilla but definitely still good for what it is.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:15:40 pm by Fiend »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal