UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139470 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Good list of prison films. Papillon is excellent. What about 'Scum' with a young Ray Winstone? My memory of it was that it was a very good film albeit super depressing. Good riot scene.

Was going to say this one, remember it being an excellent film for making you never never want to go to prison, without the glorification that there is in some prison films.

crzylgs

• stalker
Paddington 2

Or that Stallone one where they fix a car and play American football in the mud

Paddington 2 - amazing call - such a great section of that film!  :clap2:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I’d say Zero Dark Thirty is substantially better than the other two JC films mentioned, which are both good, but ZDT is just amazing. Won’t miss a chance to shout out Hurt Locker, also directed by Bigelow

I'd say that The Hurt Locker is one of the best war movies ever made.

My inherent anti-US-military-industrial-complex-propoganda bais just makes it impossible to watch any of those films without ending up with an over-riding internal fury and disgust at the over-hyped brahuha of it all.

I did, however, quite enjoy 1917 in the war genre. Basically it was all about human emotion and the madness and sheer disorganisation of war.

Other things I enjoyed recently - The King, not all great but good enough to keep me going.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Good chat.

I forgot about Chopper!

Escape from New York is a good call, a love that movie. Haven't watched Shawshank through for years but young lad is interested in why it sits a top the pile of reviews so going to watch it soon.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

I did, however, quite enjoy 1917 in the war genre. Basically it was all about human emotion and the madness and sheer disorganisation of war.

I enjoyed it, but thought everywhere was too tidy and clean (especially if compared to Peter Jackson's They Shall Not Grown Old).

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Escape from New York !!!! Yes, incredible film I’ll have to have a rewatch this weekend.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
A few more favourite war films to add to the lists - some are maybe not "great" but they are all movies I would gladly watch again (there's a reason I have Die Hard and Aliens Quadrilogy on DVD, but have no wish to ever watch Requiem For a Dream or Nil By Mouth again!):

- Dr Strangelove... you might argue that this is not an actual war film but there's no arguing with lines like "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" or "I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence."

- Dirty Dozen - 'nuff said (trivia nugget, it was during the filming of this that Jim Brown, the consensus greatest NFL running back ever (possibly the greatest player in any position), resigned from the game - he's the one who puts the grenades down the ventilation shafts during the finale).

- Kelly's Heroes - Tiger!

- Paths of Glory - early Kubrick - part war film, part courtroom drama - all great.

- Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - Bowie and Beat Takeshi and a great theme tune.

- Stalag 17 - Billy Wilder - really cynical, darkly funny POW film.

- Inglourious Basterds - I was unimpressed the first time I saw this but now I really like it.  It's more a series of scenes than a film, but what scenes! Waltz sniffing out the Jews hiding beneath the floorboards, the tavern scene, the "Bear Jew" baseball bat executions, the finale in the theatre!

- The Beast of War - Soviet tank lost in Afghanistan in the 80s - claustrophobic and with an interesting subplot where one of the Russians "goes native".

- Das Boot... [sound of distant depth charge] "Deeper!" [dial quivers to 180m] [Ominous creaking].

- Battle of the Bulge and Operation Crossbow - possibly the war films I have seen the most.  Neither are good but for years they were on TV frequently during weekend afternoons, and in those pre-TV-on-demand days and before the internet what else was I going to do?!   [Healthy exercise, self-improving hobbies?! Ha!].

SA Chris

• forum hero
Fury has some of the most stress inducing scenes I have ever seen, as does 84 Charlie MOPIC and Kajaki.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Fury has some of the most stress inducing scenes I have ever seen, as does 84 Charlie MOPIC and Kajaki.

Cannot say I enjoyed Fury, but I did come out somewhat shell shocked! I guess if that was the point it was a success, but I wasn't really grabbed by the narrative or cinematography.

True that a lot of 1917 was sparse and clean, but in an artistic way I quite liked the dialled down imagery and sense of sparseness - it focused the mind on the human element.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
A few more favourite war films to add to the lists - some are maybe not "great" but they are all movies I would gladly watch again (there's a reason I have Die Hard and Aliens Quadrilogy on DVD, but have no wish to ever watch Requiem For a Dream or Nil By Mouth again!):

- Dr Strangelove... you might argue that this is not an actual war film but there's no arguing with lines like "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" or "I do not avoid women, Mandrake. But I do deny them my essence."

- Dirty Dozen - 'nuff said (trivia nugget, it was during the filming of this that Jim Brown, the consensus greatest NFL running back ever (possibly the greatest player in any position), resigned from the game - he's the one who puts the grenades down the ventilation shafts during the finale).

- Kelly's Heroes - Tiger!

- Paths of Glory - early Kubrick - part war film, part courtroom drama - all great.

- Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - Bowie and Beat Takeshi and a great theme tune.

- Stalag 17 - Billy Wilder - really cynical, darkly funny POW film.

- Inglourious Basterds - I was unimpressed the first time I saw this but now I really like it.  It's more a series of scenes than a film, but what scenes! Waltz sniffing out the Jews hiding beneath the floorboards, the tavern scene, the "Bear Jew" baseball bat executions, the finale in the theatre!

- The Beast of War - Soviet tank lost in Afghanistan in the 80s - claustrophobic and with an interesting subplot where one of the Russians "goes native".

- Das Boot... [sound of distant depth charge] "Deeper!" [dial quivers to 180m] [Ominous creaking].

- Battle of the Bulge and Operation Crossbow - possibly the war films I have seen the most.  Neither are good but for years they were on TV frequently during weekend afternoons, and in those pre-TV-on-demand days and before the internet what else was I going to do?!   [Healthy exercise, self-improving hobbies?! Ha!].

Inglorious Bastards was great, I liked it. The dirty dozen movies were brilliant although I am not sure if I've seen any of them since they were on seemingly every weekend when I was a kid.

I'd add Where Eagles Dare to your list. Classic.

Hydraulic Man

• player
Have you seen Come and See? Eastern Front grimness.....

TobyD

• forum hero
Incidentally, Moose, I too have seen Requiem for a Dream, and thought it an astounding, brilliant mediation on the nature and torture of addiction, perhaps one of the better movies I've ever seen, but nothing would persuade me to watch it again, even if I had a 24 hour supply of Pixar and Wallace and Grommitt movies to watch afterwards to cheer up.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Incidentally, Moose, I too have seen Requiem for a Dream, and thought it an astounding, brilliant mediation on the nature and torture of addiction, perhaps one of the better movies I've ever seen, but nothing would persuade me to watch it again, even if I had a 24 hour supply of Pixar and Wallace and Grommitt movies to watch afterwards to cheer up.

Those are my feelings - entirely beautifully made and admirable in many ways... but definitely not rewatchable.   

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!

Those are my feelings - entirely beautifully made and admirable in many ways... but definitely not rewatchable.

Completely agree with this! Harrowing watch.

For prison escapes I think Face Off is an interesting one, it's utterly ridiculous but I remember being completely mystified as to how he would get out. One of Nicholas Cage's best films?

On war films I think we're missing the classic Vietnam ones:
- Platoon
- Full Metal Jacket
- Hamburger Hill
- Apocalypse Now (never quite sure what I think about this, maybe great scenes bad film is a good description)

Also WWII
- A Bridge Too Far (best cast ever? Good film but loooooong. Should be used in a route name on euro lime if not done already)

Wellsy

• forum hero
My favourite "classic" war movie is the Guns of Navarone, which I watched with my Dad as a kid, a fine bonding experience

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Prescient timing.

Noticed the other day that Escape From Alcatraz has appeared on Netflix. One of my favourite prison films.

And yes - Moose and Toby, I watched Requiem For A Dream recently as it was on Prime and I had a vague recollection of it being "critically acclaimed", and while I can see how, I never want to watch it again!

SA Chris

• forum hero
- Platoon
- Full Metal Jacket
- Hamburger Hill
- Apocalypse Now (never quite sure what I think about this, maybe great scenes bad film is a good description)

Have you ever seen 84 Charlie MOPIC, as mentioned above? One of the first films I saw to use the "found footage" concept. It got some incredibly tense and claustrophobic scenes. May not have aged well mind.

TobyD

• forum hero
For prison escapes I think Face Off is an interesting one, it's utterly ridiculous but I remember being completely mystified as to how he would get out. One of Nicholas Cage's best films?

- Platoon
- Full Metal Jacket
- Hamburger Hill

Face Off was highly entertaining, I thought actually quite good despite also being a bit silly. Cage is in some pretty decent movies, in my opinion. Lord of War is really good (it's on Netflix), Con Air has a certain appeal, but he's in some more credible things as well the names of which I can't currently bring to mind.

I can't comment on Hamburger Hill, but all the others are excellent. Apocalypse now as well, as long as it's the shorter version not the silly long cuts with the playboy bunnies and the French plantation scenes.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Son of Rambow on Netflix is a fun watch.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

Completely agree with this! Harrowing watch.

- Platoon
- Full Metal Jacket
- Hamburger Hill

Also WWII
- A Bridge Too Far (best cast ever? Good film but loooooong. Should be used in a route name on euro lime if not done already)

Agree with everything apart from Hamburger Hill.

Good list...But-

Escape
The Count de Monte Cristo
the Colditz story
The Great Escape

War movies and War series
The Deer Hunter
The Cruel Sea
Ice Cold in Alex
Lawrence of Arabia
The Good the Bad and the Ugly{American Civil War}
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Outpost
Saving Private Ryan
Zulu
Black Hawk Down
etc etc

TobyD

• forum hero

The Deer Hunter
The Cruel Sea
Ice Cold in Alex
Lawrence of Arabia
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Outpost
Saving Private Ryan
Zulu
Black Hawk Down
etc etc

Saving Private Ryan was, in my opinion awful.  Sentimental and ultimately trivial.  The opening scene is classic Spielberg,  but I thought Dunkirk was miles better. 

scragrock

• obsessive maniac

The Deer Hunter
The Cruel Sea
Ice Cold in Alex
Lawrence of Arabia
Das Boot
Band of Brothers
The Outpost
Saving Private Ryan
Zulu
Black Hawk Down
etc etc

Saving Private Ryan was, in my opinion awful.  Sentimental and ultimately trivial.  The opening scene is classic Spielberg,  but I thought Dunkirk was miles better.

I think awful is a bit strong but i appreciate your points, i put it in for the first 20 mins of the film which were pretty ground-breaking.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Holy crap, the Deer Hunter. Amazing film, especially with the Tony Hart soundtrack ;).

crzylgs

• stalker
I haven't watched The Deer Hunter for a very long time. Vaguely recall enjoying it but having learned more about Michael Cimino in the passing years I don't think I could bring myself to watch it or enjoy it again. Usually I can separate the artist from the art but he seems to be a pretty rotten individual, who wove himself a rather prickly nest of lies trying to insist that the film is autobiographical based on real personal events.

That said I do need to watch Heaven's Gate - another of his films which was an epic production (cost $40+mil in 1980) and equally epic box office bomb (earned ~$4mil) but seems to have been re-evaluated in more recent years.

andy popp

• forum hero
I haven't watched The Deer Hunter for a very long time. Vaguely recall enjoying it but having learned more about Michael Cimino in the passing years I don't think I could bring myself to watch it or enjoy it again.

I don't know anything about Cimino. I watched the film again quite recently, whilst living in Pennsylvania, where it's set. I still think the hometown scenes - the steel mills, bars, and wedding etc. - are brilliant. The Vietnam sections have never hung together so well, in my view, but I still think its a great film.

Watching it again though the hunting scenes are funny. Hunting is huge in PA. All public schools close on the first day of the season ... but there are no rocky peaks or glaciers within probably a thousand or more miles of PA. I've no idea why the film maker would have made that choice. The hometown scenes look exactly like a PA steel town but are actually filmed in MIngo Junction, Ohio. I only happened to find this out because I'm currently writing an essay set in Mingo Junction

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal