UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139354 times)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

Molly's Game (Netflix) - liked it in that it's a smart-talking, wish fulfilment kinda story and it's about poker. You'll need to get past a(nother) dodgy Idris Elba American accent though.

I turned this off in disgust, thought it was absolute tripe! Idris Elba wasn't even the worst part  :lol:

Bradders

• forum hero
How massively overrated is Idris Elba? I can't remember seeing him in anything where I thought he was any good. Hope he isn't the next James Bond.

dunnyg

• forum hero
The wire.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
What Dunny said. Check yourself Bradders!

Bradders

• forum hero
Ah not seen that. In that case has he just been trading on that for the last decade? He was terrible in Luther, Prometheus, The Dark Tower, and okay in Pacific Rim. Voice work was good in The Jungle Book I guess. Just seems far too highly rated to me.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
I enjoyed Luther! But yes, otherwise fair to say hes been trading on the Wire I think, which tbf he is incredible in.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Ah not seen that.

You're gonna tell me you've never watched The Sopranos next.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Beats of No Nation?

Its a fair point though, he's up for review. He's in a lot of very average stuff so; were the good things he was in good, because he was good? Or was he a bystander? The other side of that, can he elevate shit? have you come out of the cinema and said, 'pretty average movie but Idris was great in it...'?

This applies to all actors.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I took my 10 year old daughter to see it last night and she loved it.

I thought it was magnificent. A total visual feast from start to finish. The detail blew me away, but I want to watch it again soon because I’m sure there were things I missed.

I noticed the Harkonnens who went in the room post tooth / gas were in suits referencing the Sardaukar in the Lynch film, and I wonder if there are some more hidden treats like that.

Can’t wait for a double bill with part 2.

We both loved it but I needed to explain about the religion his mother belonged to afterwards.

He also asked at one point early on, are they on Jakku? :)

Would have liked to see a newer version of Guild Navigators, do they appear later on in the story?

Long time since I was in the cinema, great to be back. 

Yossarian

• forum hero

Would have liked to see a newer version of Guild Navigators, do they appear later on in the story?

I think they did appear, but they weren't obvious or announced. When the Emperor's delegation arrived on Caladan there were some figures with large globular helmets with what looked like spice floating around inside. I will have a better look when (if) I make it back for another watch.

crzylgs

• stalker

I think they did appear, but they weren't obvious or announced. When the Emperor's delegation arrived on Caladan there were some figures with large globular helmets with what looked like spice floating around inside. I will have a better look when (if) I make it back for another watch.

Pretty sure you're correct here.

Leto also asks his Mentat advisor Thufir Hawat something along the lines of 'how much would have this cost... 3 guild navigators etc' and I think there were 3 of the fish bowl helmeted characters :D

Bradders

• forum hero
Ah not seen that.

You're gonna tell me you've never watched The Sopranos next.

Ha, only recently finished it!

Beats of No Nation?

Its a fair point though, he's up for review. He's in a lot of very average stuff so; were the good things he was in good, because he was good? Or was he a bystander? The other side of that, can he elevate shit? have you come out of the cinema and said, 'pretty average movie but Idris was great in it...'?

This applies to all actors.

Well quite. I'm not saying he's shit (necessarily), just overrated. He's like a very poor man's Will Smith.

steveyo

Dune; I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Paul Atreides is Dave Graham's Doppelganger!  I can't just be me!? (Or I've missed it)

Felt weird(and good) to watch a film and not be constantly turning the volume up and down too!  Brilliant

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Pretty sure you're correct here.

Leto also asks his Mentat advisor Thufir Hawat something along the lines of 'how much would have this cost... 3 guild navigators etc' and I think there were 3 of the fish bowl helmeted characters :D

I thought they were described as ambassadors of the guild rather than navigators, but I also look forward to geeking out further on the rewatch. There's generally a pretty big deal in the book when a navigator leaves their ship, and with everything else being so faithful I'm expecting some big tank action.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
the sum of all fears

On Netflix: uncomplicated, silly action movie with an impressive cast (Affleck, Morgan Freeman etc).
Not ambitious or intelligent, but pretty enjoyable despite its overblown nature. The fact that it's based on a Tom Clancy novel explains a lot. Ultimately, I quite liked it, doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.

SA Chris

• forum hero

OK, somewhat understated compared to the ones in the Lynch version

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Dune @Imax

Very cool. Very big. Girthy.

Not much to add to comments above except that during the trailers and fucking adverts I thought the Imax screen would be far too big, hectic, and impossible to take in, BUT the in the Dune film itself a lot of the spectacle is quite open and sparse and austere and that worked really well on the massive screen.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Mortal Engines

Really quite good fun for what it is, more so than I expected. Some of the cornier moments had me reaching for my anti-nausea tablets (the end of the floating city bit especially had me cringing) and it's obviously cliche upon cliche overall. But there's actually a bit of plot intrigue, the spectacle is indeed spectacular, and it's quite nice to have something with a very distinct backdrop / world mythology (and the smaller cities remind me a lot of Ork battlewagons).

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'll admit that the Matrix Resurrections trailer with Jefferson Airplane soundtrack makes it look very cool and has got me quite keen..

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
I'll admit that the Matrix Resurrections trailer with Jefferson Airplane soundtrack makes it look very cool and has got me quite keen..

+1. Saw the original again on a plane the other day. It still stands up. No Laurence Fishburn in the new launch sadly though, but the trailer does look like a return to the quality of the first episode.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:55:33 pm by lorentz »

Bradders

• forum hero
Start of the trailer makes it look rather like a re-run of the original. Presume that's intentional but hopefully it isn't just a glorified remake!

Teaboy

• forum hero
No Time to Die
Thought it was brilliant and despite what the reviewers say I thought it was very true to the Bond films of my childhood. Most significantly we went to the cinema to watch and discovered Everyman cinema with sofas and food, absolutely brilliant and good value

The Report
Slow burn but very good if you have any interest in American politics. Amazon Prime

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Lets just remind ourselves that as good as The Matrix is, era defining, setting the tone of pop culture for years to come etc;

the following two films should be flushed down the toilet.

Bradders

• forum hero
Lets just remind ourselves that as good as The Matrix is, era defining, setting the tone of pop culture for years to come etc;

Bit harsh, I've always enjoyed them, particularly Revolutions. The defense of Zion scene is brilliant. Not as good as the original of course, but what is?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

I've always thought the Matrix is a bit overrated to be honest, certainly entertaining and the use of bullet time in the fights was groundbreaking, but it's also full of cod philosophy and wooden acting. I still enjoyed watching it, but it's kind of got ideas above its station. Sometimes that's absolutely all I want from a film, but I'm not sure it has any great deep meaning to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal