UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139407 times)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Being a complete fanboi it’s hard to say, but it seemed like everything that needed explaining was done, but without masses of exposition that some of these sort of films have in.

As with 2049 I think it would be entirely enjoyable purely as a visual and auditory experience.

crzylgs

• stalker
Re Dune, do you need to be a fan of the book to enjoy this?

As other's have mentioned I'll chime in with agreement that I don't believe you need to have read the books, or be a fan of them to enjoy the film.

having played a 90s PC game adaptation which was a bit crap.

However, this kind of heretic talk might be an issue! Dune (the PC game) was the forerunner of Command and Conquer and thus essentially all the RTS games for the next ~20 years... I get back in the geeky corner of my man cave now  ;D

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

However, this kind of heretic talk might be an issue! Dune (the PC game) was the forerunner of Command and Conquer and thus essentially all the RTS games for the next ~20 years... I get back in the geeky corner of my man cave now  ;D

Interesting to know, but it still wasn't terribly good though was it? Although it might have just not been my thing, I always preferred stuff like half life or tomb raider, as well as the skating games.
I'd argue that seminal pieces of culture aren't necessarily intrinsically good, important and interesting though they might be.

TobyD

• forum hero
Thanks for the Dune beta everyone I'll probably try to see it at some point.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Yes I've been wondering about the opinion of someone not familiar with the Dune text.

My initial impression within the first ten or fifteen minutes was that the script does a lot of exposition heavy lifting early on; excellent structure for the uninitiated.

As an expectant fanboy I had deliberately avoided all media, trailers, info of any kind; I didn't know it was to be two films. Even when the Part One aston appears at he beginning I still wasn't sure. Because all Tarantino movies have five parts anyway etc. Later I was wondering about time elapsed and the choice to include some scenes that surprised me; for the positive because its actually more faithful than i expected. Scenes that are pivotal to character development have been included for the better.

When it ended I was slightly disappointed; I'm very much looking forward to the double billings that will hopefully appear in late '23.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Sign me up for the double billing with a beer and snack interlude!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
The Guilty
Enjoyed this on Netflix at the weekend, one of those 'pretty much all happens in one room' stories, mostly with one bloke. Always find Jake G watchable. The Danish original is apparently on All4 now, which promises to be almost word for word, but more Danish.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Guilty
Enjoyed this on Netflix at the weekend, one of those 'pretty much all happens in one room' stories, mostly with one bloke. Always find Jake G watchable. The Danish original is apparently on All4 now, which promises to be almost word for word, but more Danish.

I saw the original at the cinema when it came out about two or three years ago, it was brilliant I thought, really intense at the cinema which might be a bit lost on a smaller screen but probably still good. Reviews I've seen say that the remake isn't a patch on the original, but then critics always say that.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I had been wondering about whether you would need to have read the book to enjoy Dune to the fullest and even wrote a post out asking this very question a few weeks ago. I deleted it when I read it back and it read like jibberish. I don't need another Earl Crag connies in-joke on my hands.

I have been aware that there was a big book called Dune for a number of years. Spice, sand, politics, war. It sounded like the kind of thing I'd like but never got round to reading it.

Went to see the film tonight. It was:
Absolutely
Fucking
Incredible.

The sound, the cinematics, the story, the everything. Just wow!

I enjoy a lot of films but I can almost always think of something that needed fixing. In this case I can't think of a single thing. 10/10.

I saw Bond a few weeks ago and, whilst enjoyable, didn't think it was worth the rave reviews. It was all very neat and tidy (though I saw where it was going towards the end and found it a total cliché from which point it lost me a bit) - a complete Bond film. But it didn't have anything special that excited me. I left Dune completely buzzing.

Obviously I have no idea what I might have missed plot-wise, but there was nothing I felt I didn't understand, and none of the world building felt laboured, dull, or cryptic.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Anything in Dune that would bother a 12 year old, or would he just be left confused and best to leave him at home?

Loves Star Wars, Marvel, anything like Pacific Rim, so not overly sensitive.

Wellsy

• forum hero
I don't think he'd be confused. It's not that graphic either. But it's hard to say with kids.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
Anything in Dune that would bother a 12 year old.

Took my 11 year old daughter and she loved it. She was probably buzzing more than me when we came out. I think she’s now slightly obsessed with the worm though.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I think she’s now slightly obsessed with the worm though.

Bless the Maker and His water.
Bless the coming and going of Him.
May His passage cleanse the world.
May He keep the world for His people.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've got Waiting for the Worms by Pink Floyd in my head now, I think I've been earwormed.

Bradders

• forum hero
Just to break up the Dune love in (since I can't really get to the cinema atm!).

Bird Box

Been meaning to watch this for a while. Surprisingly good! Very much in the mold of A Quiet Place, and perhaps the superior film. Plenty of genuinely tense segments, not to mention a good amount of actual horror. Sandra Bullock is great and tbh as a new parent I found some of it towards the end particularly affecting. Well worth...seeing  ;)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures

Bird Box
Been meaning to watch this for a while. Surprisingly good! Very much in the mold of A Quiet Place, and perhaps the superior film...

To complete the set you should have a look at The Silence, bet it was a right race to get those 3 released! This one does have a monster, but the real monster turns out to be 'Other People'.

Bradders

• forum hero

Bird Box
Been meaning to watch this for a while. Surprisingly good! Very much in the mold of A Quiet Place, and perhaps the superior film...

To complete the set you should have a look at The Silence, bet it was a right race to get those 3 released! This one does have a monster, but the real monster turns out to be 'Other People'.

Ha yes the synopsis does sound familiar! On the list.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Quiet Place 2 is a very good sequel.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The all-seeing, all-consuming bumhole.
Hi, yes, what was I summoned for??

P.S. I read the Bird Box book, it was decent. Trailer looks like it captures it well.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Anything in Dune that would bother a 12 year old, or would he just be left confused and best to leave him at home?

Loves Star Wars, Marvel, anything like Pacific Rim, so not overly sensitive.

My slightly oversensitive 10 yr old didn't fully appreciate everything in the film, but he enjoyed it a lot and we had some good conversations afterwards

Yossarian

• forum hero
I took my 10 year old daughter to see it last night and she loved it.

I thought it was magnificent. A total visual feast from start to finish. The detail blew me away, but I want to watch it again soon because I’m sure there were things I missed.

I noticed the Harkonnens who went in the room post tooth / gas were in suits referencing the Sardaukar in the Lynch film, and I wonder if there are some more hidden treats like that.

Can’t wait for a double bill with part 2.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Maybe mentioned already. Watched The Alpinist this morning which was brilliant. Documentary on Marc-Andre Leclerc with some amazing footage and insight into a really talented climber.

Bradders

• forum hero
Quiet Place 2 is a very good sequel.

Watched this the other day; brilliant. Just as good as part 1 and makes for a great double feature.

The concept itself still does lots of the heavy lifting in terms of creating tension etc. but that's not a bad thing. Tbh I really didn't want it to end, feels like it would suit a full TV series to do the world justice.

That said, it makes me very excited for The Last of Us TV show, since, as anyone who's played the games will know, the Clickers in that world are basically the exact same as the monsters in A Quiet Place (albeit less omnipotent). Fingers crossed the TV show does it justice!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 09:32:30 am by Bradders »

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Extended period of meh illness has meant I've watched a few random things

Along Came A Spider (Netflix) - terrible kidnap "thriller" thing with ludicrous plot holes, excessive exposition and a completely predicable twist in the third act. It's got Morgan Freeman in it though and he's quite good.

Molly's Game (Netflix) - liked it in that it's a smart-talking, wish fulfilment kinda story and it's about poker. You'll need to get past a(nother) dodgy Idris Elba American accent though.

Let The Right One In (BBC) - one of a good lot of horror films on iPlayer, but only for a short while. It's the original Swedish version. I'm only about 30 mins in but it's creepy AF.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal