UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139487 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Is The Green Knight filmed on location on the Cheshire/ Staffordshire border?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Green Chapel certainly isn’t Ludchurch and I couldn’t place any of the scenery so I’m guessing most if not all was shot in Ireland.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
No wonder you struggled then, can scratch that off the list!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
News of the World
Finally got round to watching this,  I thought it was really good despite being mildly prejudiced against Tom Hanks for some reason.  It is dressed up like a Western, and although it includes many elements of the genre, in many ways it has more in common with a feelgood roadtrip movie. Given that description I'd probably run a mile,  but liked it nevertheless,  its beautifully shot and the central characters are well acted.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Girl on the Train

Watched this last night; it's great if you want a convincing performance of a person falling into extreme alcoholism. Emily Blunt is convincing but for me it wasn't terribly enjoyable, the narrative doesn't really drive it forward and it becomes mainly a harrowing endurance test.
Worthy but not fun.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
No time to die….absolutely superb.

Makes up for the poor predecessor Spectre…and puts itself up there as one of the great Bond films  :)

TobyD

• forum hero
No time to die….absolutely superb.

Makes up for the poor predecessor Spectre…and puts itself up there as one of the great Bond films  :)

Sounds great,  I've heard several people say it's the best Bond movie.  I like them all in one way or another though. Really looking forward to this one. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Free Guy

On Disney + - Good Family fun, I probably laughed more than the kids. 9 yo struggled with some of the concepts though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Forgive me if this is a repost as I don't follow this thread, but....

...was quite enjoyable. Requires some suspension of disbelief in many places, but is well done and has some good twists and thought-provoking moments.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Tenet. Just watched it en route to Turkey (now now in Ukraine).

Pretty good sci-fi, or, more futuristic heisty geopolitical action film. Sometimes a little hard to follow but generally enjoyable aviation fodder.

Kind of inception meets black Bourne, ish, with more acting and less explosions. Maybe.

TobyD

• forum hero
baby driver
Can't believe I haven't seen this until now. Really stylish funny well directed Edgar Wright movie, Kevin Spacey is also very entertaining. He is a brilliant actor, whatever else he might have done or not done in his life. Anyway, the film's light-hearted, highly entertaining and there are good car chases.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Another possible repost....

A good alien film, kinda like an inferior but quite respectable spiritual successor to Alien itself.

Duncan campbell

• junky
baby driver
Can't believe I haven't seen this until now. Really stylish funny well directed Edgar Wright movie, Kevin Spacey is also very entertaining. He is a brilliant actor, whatever else he might have done or not done in his life. Anyway, the film's light-hearted, highly entertaining and there are good car chases.

Good innit and it has lily James in it  :wub:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
I saw Ad Astra recently, which managed to do a similar thing, only not as well, and with far more money and a better cast. Sam Neill is pretty scary in event horizon, when TJ Jones turns up in Ad Astra, it all gets silly, and it had gone on too long by then.
BRad Astra more like  ::)

Another "Fiend desperately tries to distract himself from the slothful tedium of golfer's elbow" tick. It was okay overall. The main character and human story were pretty good (commentary included), and some of the tension and atmosphere in the middle was good, as was the soundtrack. However for a tightly focused story with a distinctly down-to-earth very-near-future low-tech setting, some of the inconsistencies were more jarring than they would have been in a more grandiose and flamboyant film....

Why was the moon base fucking massive and full of kids if it takes a whole rocket to get 6-8 people up there?
Why were they still using basic exposed lunar rovers if they were capable of building such a massive moon base?
Moon pirates really? How did that slip through security?
Talking of security why were they so useless at actually tracking / dealing with moon pirates?
The mayday call ship / space station, what was that all about?
(both these bits seem to have been shoehorned in to add length, and whilst tense in their own way, hardly supported the main plot)
Where were the signs and designs indicating that the moon-mars ship was capable of life support for a 160 day round trip after it was repurposed?
Why did the crew asphyxiate in a matter of seconds?
Why could his dad fight back if he's been rotting away in a zero-g base for 16 years?
The chances of getting through the rings without being deflected miles off course hmmmmm?

FWIW I fucking hate plot-hole-pickers and sciencier-than-thou spoilsports in sci-fi films, but this stuff really stood out in the context / film style I initially mentioned. It was okay but could have less getting in the way of the atmosphere and tension, and more supporting that.

Paul B

• forum hero
I really enjoyed The Colony (which is now on Prime). I'd started it previously but got distracted but this time I didn't have any such issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colony-Emma-Watson/dp/B07C4HHHD7

TobyD

• forum hero
blood diamond
On Netflix. Watchable but unremarkable action filled movie with a decent performance from DiCaprio as an unsympathetic diamond smuggler.
However, in a scene where radicalised children are given ak47s and saying their new war names such as "baby killer" or "killing machine", I'm sure I heard one of them say straight to the camera from behind his weapon "I am Donald Trump". Wierd, given that it was made in 2005/6.
Worth watching but not amazing.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Saw Dune this evening

Fucking incredible. Just astounding. I cannot recommend it enough.

crzylgs

• stalker
Saw Dune this evening

Fucking incredible. Just astounding. I cannot recommend it enough.

Same. Just back from an IMAX screening. Very much worthy of viewing on the largest, loudest screen you can manage. I'm sure any fans of epic (as in vast) sci-fi will love it.

Edit: Also fans of the book have nothing to worry about. It's one of my all time faves with numerous re-reads. Denis Villeneuve has done it justice. Shame we'll be waiting a year or more for the security nd part!

Wellsy

• forum hero
I'm a massive fan of the book and I thought they adapted it perfectly. I also went with two people who haven't read it, and they loved it. Fair to say they've nailed this one.

Duma

• forum hero
I'm going in an hour, (got to get it in before a weekend of night shifts and then half term) can't wait!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
The Platform. Pretty sure this wasn't mentioned before. An uplifting class-system morality tale for our times, or something:

If the trailer appeals, you'll definitely like the film. I did, pretty gripping stuff.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Just to add my voice to the Dune praise, holy shit what a triumph. Also second finding the biggest cinema you can, always feel fortunate to have the Bradford IMAX local for these sort of films.

TobyD

• forum hero
Re Dune, do you need to be a fan of the book to enjoy this? I have no idea about what it involves really apart from having played a 90s PC game adaptation which was a bit crap.  So all I am vaguely aware of is that it involves a planet with lots of sand, some big worms, and spice. On these criteria it sounds promising,  in a district 9 kind of way. I loved district 9, will I love this?

Wellsy

• forum hero
It's very different from District 9 but I went with a group of people, two of which had no idea what it was about, and they loved it.

remus

• forum hero
I went to see it with a big group including everyone from proper fanboys (looking at you dan m) to people who'd not heard of it before. Everyone enjoyed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal