UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1138270 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

We watched Bladerunner as W had never seen it

Theatrical, director's or final cut?

reminds me I always meant to read the book, but never have, need to add to list.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
... and then 2049 which we both thought was absolutely brilliant.

I love Bladerunner, saw it at the Showroom in Sheffield one Saturday morning as one of their random "flashback" things years ago and the difference from the TV screen to the big screen was sizeable.

Watched 2049 at the Bradford IMAX and glad I did, gave it a real sense of scale.

I've actually read Dune recently in anticipation of the new one - found the book quite heavy going but glad I've read it before watching the film.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Chris - I think it was the Directors cut. They don’t drive away at the end and it didn’t have Deckard’s voiceover monologues.

TTT & Cowboyhat I would have liked to see it in the cinema.  I guess living in London I’ll get to do that at some point.

Looking forward to Dune.  The trailers look mint.

SA Chris

• forum hero

I've actually read Dune recently in anticipation of the new one - found the book quite heavy going but glad I've read it before watching the film.

Might need to reread, I remember consuming all he Herbert books in the local library one after the other, so they all kind of blend into one.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I loved Dune but got more annoyed as I read the sequels, until I gave up - I vaguely recall a "fuck sandtrout" moment and a ceremonious flinging of a book into a waste bin.

Duma

• forum hero
I love Bladerunner, and the book, and 2049, though still think it could be 15min shorter.

I am outrageously psyched for Dune, think Timothee Chalamet is a great choice, love him in The King (which I also think is great, once you get over it's non-relationship to actual history/shakespeare)

daddy long legs

• player
Yep, Dune is badass. Hope Sting makes a cameo in the new one  :punk:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I can't review or recommend this as I haven't seen it yet, but thought it might be worth flagging for those on this thread. There are only a couple of performances left to see. It's free (donation recommended) or there's a £10 version which you can interact with.

https://dream.online/home/

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
A good bit of SciFi schlock on Netflix is “Space Sweepers”.
I say schlock, but quite high production values, not a bad script and funny enough, often enough, to be quite good.
Definite schlock! Quite fun tho, with some entertaining characters and decent background / world-building (no pun!) - which I'd have liked to be explored further, maybe instead of some of the more cliched bits.

If you liked that...

Doomsday.

On Netflix.

Scotland has been walled off and the sea around it mined, after an outbreak of an incurable virus. 25 years later, rumour of a cure in the abandoned nation surfaces along with a new outbreak in London.

Mad Max with UK accents.
Better production standards than I expected.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
A few months ago I watched a film called High Ground and enjoyed it. Jim then recommended The Nightingale. I put it on my Netflix list and tonight we watched it.

Jim had described the film as "a little confronting at times".

After 2+ hours of the most gruelling snuff, I can honestly say that I would not wish this film on my worst enemy. During the second (and not the last) rape scene, in which we also see a baby killed by being slammed against a wall, my wife walked out of the room and I skipped forward a couple of minutes. Unfortunately we had lots more executions, beheadings, and other "confronting" events still to go.

Jim is a psychopath.

36chambers

• forum hero
After 2+ hours of the most gruelling snuff, I can honestly say that I would not wish this film on my worst enemy. During the second (and not the last) rape scene, in which we also see a baby killed by being slammed against a wall, my wife walked out of the room and I skipped forward a couple of minutes. Unfortunately we had lots more executions, beheadings, and other "confronting" events still to go.

Thanks for the spoilers...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Anything that reduces the chances of somebody watching this horrible film is a boon.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I thought it was a good film.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Has Intouchables/Untouchables been mentioned? Thought it was great

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento

Anything that reduces the chances of somebody watching this horrible film is a boon.

I've become a lot "softer" in my tastes as I've aged. I used to be all about a cold hearted dedication to  ideas and mise-an-scene. These days, I'm looking for a laugh and vaguely sympathetic characters.

I've not seen Nightingale but the response reminds me of Mark Kemode's review of Process. This  led to my brother tracking down the Director, being willingly scammed, possibly being the last person to properly speak with him,  and now being accused as part of a(nother) faked death scam!

Process is an artsy Anglo-French endurance test. Child death, cancer, fatuous Holocaust references — it’s all here in 29 fun-packed, dialogue-free single takes from director CS Leigh, who admits: “Not a day goes by I don’t visualise myself taking my own life.’’ Béatrice Dalle stars as ‘the actress’ who swallows broken glass and engages in rough sex before wrapping a bag round her head and expiring. Miserabilist muso John Cale goes plinky-tinky-plunk-bong on the soundtrack, and then it all ends with the Jam’s ‘That’s Entertainment!’ Ha bloody ha.

Mark Kermode. 17 July 2005, the Observer.[/it]

Plattsy

• forum hero
The Nightingale - first user review on IMDB. "Not for everyone" sums it up quite nicely.

Persian Lessons - very good film.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
86‰ on Rotten Tomatoes, can't be only me that rated it! I thought it was a really good evocation of the infamous brutality of colonial Tasmania, a bit like a film version of a Richard Flanagan novel.

I watched it with my girlfriend and she rated it as well. I don't see it as any different to a Tarantino, who everyone raves about.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Cherry - bit mediocre.
Sound of Metal - undecided. Either very good or brilliant.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Watched Oat Studios Vol 1 on Prime last night, a strange "showcase" collection of short films from Neill Blomkamp (District 9 etc).

The main ones are pretty dark to say the least, but the special effects are brilliant through out, although not all the stories are conclusive. I skipped through the cooking show ones after the first one, "comedy" is definitely not his strong point.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I feel a bit bad about posting this one, as yesterday was the last day it was available on Mubi - it might be a bit of a struggle to find it anywhere.

Beautiful animation about the pre-war occupation of Catalonia through the eyes of Josep Bartoli - a Catalan artist confined to a concentration camp in south France.

Plattsy

• forum hero
What's it called?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Ha!

If started this on my phone but it froze up, so typed it out on the laptop instead. Forgot the name in the process!

Josep: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10534996/

Plattsy

• forum hero
Thanks. Sounds good. It's on the list.

Plattsy

• forum hero
The Mauritanian, Moxie and Violation are all worth a watch.

remus

• forum hero
Saw ' Brawl at cell block 99' last night.

Dodgy title, amazing film. Grindhouse neo-noir with an utterly superb Vince Vaughn (didn't realise he did other roles than comedy).
One those films that builds and builds, and you never want it to finish.

Great recommendation, just watched this and really enjoyed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal