UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139447 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
We watched Armando Iannucci's "The Personal History of David Copperfield" last week - tremendous fun.

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup. I’ve been looking at non stick cook wear quite differently since viewing it...

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Persistent Organic Pollutants are pretty terrifying.

Bradders

• forum hero
It's a strange thing isn't it, because on the face of it it should be just as much in the public consciousness as Covid-19, has the potential to actually cause a similar amount of illness / premature death, and yet because those illnesses are less immediate, generally accepted as things that happen anyway, and not directly transmissible, and because the potential cure / fix is so hard to imagine, it'll probably never get properly dealt with. Which is my pessimistic take on it.

Paul B

• forum hero
The lawyer in Dark Waters (forgotten his name) had an op Ed in yesterday’s Guardian.

Dark Waters was really good.

I'm not quite sure how but Drive had passed me by until last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I really liked Drive.  It reminded me of a couple of old favourites, Melville's Le Samourai and Point Blank; similar near-silent "heroes" with no back-story but a "code", and eerie, cold cinematography (Lee Marvin in PB gets the winning vote for services to wearing tight suits).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Watched Backkklansman last night. Really enjoyed it, funny but with a very serious point. Some thinly veiled digs at Trump.

Blatant digs at the end, no punches pulled. Good film though.

tomtom

• forum hero
The Midnight Sky.

Précis: Netflix new feature film starring Clooney. Sci fi where the 2049 world is being overcome by a radiation cloud (source unknown - but self inflicted) and Clooney is a dying physicist stationed in the Arctic circle. Everyone else is evacuated but he stays as he’s only got weeks left to live.

Meanwhile - space craft returning from exploring an inhabitable (recently discovered - conveniently) moon of Jupiter is unaware of earths peril and having just come out of some sort of radio black spot can’t figure out wtf is going on.

Clooney makes it his final act to try and warn them not to try and land on earth and to turn back to their newly discovered inhabitable world.

Review: slow. But nicely shot. Liked the sci fi ideas (spacecraft and features were cool). Not the best set of performances in the world - and some were awkward and wooden. Bits of it felt as tense and as well shot/cgi’d as Gravity - but then it would stop and be a bit err meh. Also some nice scenes on earth as George makes a crazy dash to a different base (but really should die of hypo). It probably gets 3/5 stars. But it’s an alright watch - not full of holes, just not as good as it could have been with some better characterisation. Perfect Xmas fodder if you’ve seen all the usual films.

Bradders

• forum hero
There Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Really brilliant film. Very Coen brothers esq, so if you're a fan of their style you'll enjoy this. Given the starting subject matter I thought it was going to be quite a harrowing watch, so had put it off for a long time. Instead it's a darkly comic and strangely warm and uplifting film, full of memorable moments and great dialogue. Frances McDormand is her usual brilliant self but there are loads of other good performances. Solid 8 or 9/10 for me.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
The Midnight Sky.

Précis: Netflix new feature film starring Clooney. Sci fi where the 2049 world is being overcome by a radiation cloud (source unknown - but self inflicted) and Clooney is a dying physicist stationed in the Arctic circle. Everyone else is evacuated but he stays as he’s only got weeks left to live.

Meanwhile - space craft returning from exploring an inhabitable (recently discovered - conveniently) moon of Jupiter is unaware of earths peril and having just come out of some sort of radio black spot can’t figure out wtf is going on.

Clooney makes it his final act to try and warn them not to try and land on earth and to turn back to their newly discovered inhabitable world.

Review: slow. But nicely shot. Liked the sci fi ideas (spacecraft and features were cool). Not the best set of performances in the world - and some were awkward and wooden. Bits of it felt as tense and as well shot/cgi’d as Gravity - but then it would stop and be a bit err meh. Also some nice scenes on earth as George makes a crazy dash to a different base (but really should die of hypo). It probably gets 3/5 stars. But it’s an alright watch - not full of holes, just not as good as it could have been with some better characterisation. Perfect Xmas fodder if you’ve seen all the usual films.

What? This was absolutely dreadful. Summed up as Clooney tries to mash two films into one (the Road and Gravity/ The Martian) with no beginning or ending and a drawn out middle, the sole purpose of which was to get a nice visual effects scene during a space walk.

We all grudgingly finished it. We then watched White Chicks on Netflix which was far, far superior.

T_B

• forum hero
The Midnight Sky.

What? This was absolutely dreadful. Summed up as Clooney tries to mash two films into one (the Road and Gravity/ The Martian) with no beginning or ending and a drawn out middle, the sole purpose of which was to get a nice visual effects scene during a space walk.

We all grudgingly finished it.

Worst film I’ve seen in a long time. Just dreadful. The bit where he swims under the ice, soaked through in an arctic storm and simply zips his parka back up  :lol:. Presumably I fell asleep when they actually explained why earth was fuct? Clooney should stick to advertising disposable coffee pods.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sorry for wasting your two hours :(

I did say it wasn’t brilliant.. but guess it fitted my lowish expectations. there is no explanation of why the earth was ferked. In the film or book apparently.

For context - I saw the usual suspects at the cinema when it first came out abs thought it was really bad - and predictable. It went on to be a raved about success... :D

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
When I saw it was a 12 I suggested to the family that we watch it rather than Home Alone 2.  Guess how popular I was.

tomtom

• forum hero
Big question in my head now is whether it’s better or worse than Home alone 2.

It’s a low bar...

Paul B

• forum hero
I was subjected to the remake of Mulan the other night. Disney have excelled themselves by making something considerably worse than the animated original. I'm told I have to look forward to the same for Aladdin and the Jungle Book (mercifully they both seem to score much higher on IMDB type websites).

:tumble:

The upside being that the Disney+ subscription allows me to now watch the Mandalorian.

Bradders

• forum hero
Jungle Book isn't quite as bad as Mulan to be fair. Good voice acting at least.

Have you started with the Mandalorian Paul? I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Paul B

• forum hero
5ep or so, yes.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
There Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

Really brilliant film. Very Coen brothers esq, so if you're a fan of their style you'll enjoy this. Given the starting subject matter I thought it was going to be quite a harrowing watch, so had put it off for a long time. Instead it's a darkly comic and strangely warm and uplifting film, full of memorable moments and great dialogue. Frances McDormand is her usual brilliant self but there are loads of other good performances. Solid 8 or 9/10 for me.

Solid banger and funny as fuck, hopefully most people have checked this out!

Duma

• forum hero

Worst film I’ve seen in a long time. Just dreadful. The bit where he swims under the ice, soaked through in an arctic storm and simply zips his parka back up  :lol:. Presumably I fell asleep when they actually explained why earth was fuct? Clooney should stick to advertising disposable coffee pods.

This is laughably harsh, complaining about how realistic it was? Really?? And who cares how the earth became uninhabitable, its not relevant.

TT is on the money: looks nice, some interesting ideas, plot a bit thin, as is the acting, bit slow. I enjoyed it but like this sort of thing.
5 or 6 out of 10 is fair.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We watched Outside the City last week.  A lovely documentary film about an order of Cistercian monks based just outside Leicester who decided to become the first Trappist brewery in the UK. As much about ageing and a glimpse into the monastic life as it is about beer. It’s on all the streaming platforms.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Guardians of the Galaxy is on iPlayer for a few more days, about the only marvel movie I love, funny stupid and uplifting. Perfect at the moment!

tomtom

• forum hero
Lots of great films on IPlayer at the moment.

Inc Godfather, Untouchables, North by northwest, Citizen Kane, and given my penchant for Submarine films, Ice station Zebra got a watch yesterday :)

Paul B

• forum hero
Finally watched the Godfather. I was really impressed with how well it held up (being from 1972 and my attention span being poor).

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Dredd.
The 2012 dark version, not Sly Stallone's cheesy effort.
Really good sci fi dystopian violence feast, nicely concise and pleasantly escapist.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal