UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139407 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I was going to post this in one of the Trump / political threads but that isn't really my scene and although it's a fantastic quote and as relevant as ever, it is probably more fun here:

'People want leadership Mr President and in the absence of genuine leadership they will listen to anyone who steps up to the microphone. They want leadership, they are so thirsty for it they will crawl through the desert to a mirage and when they discover there is no water they will drink the sand.'

Guess the film? No Google-cheating. Bonus points for the actor delivering speech and writer of film in question.

Had to look it up, I haven't seen it.

I have seen the, "they aren't looking at me, theyre looking at you" bit before though. Great cast, writer, director. Will def give it a go when Fanny & Alexander feels too heavy.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Leeds Film Festival is online this year so there's some good looking films to stream. Somewhat annoyingly they seem to have had a rights issue which means you can't play the films through Chrome - so no Chromecasting to the telly.

Watched High Ground last night. 4/5.

Pope B

• regular
Looks good, will give it a watch!

From the Leeds film festival we watched "The Whaler Boy" (), which was really good, though not sure I agree with it's description of it as a comedy, it does however have its funny moments.

"Black Milk" was also really good () -- sorry couldn't find an english trailer, on the LIFF website they had it with English subtitles.

Looking forward to seeing a few more

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Turns out I was an imbecile and you can Chromecast stuff from the Leeds Film Festival if you're on an Android phone.

Just finished Dune Drifter which was pretty intense. Fighter pilot and her gunner crash land on a desolate planet.

Kind of like what the Martian might have been like if there was an Opposing Force and Hollywood didn't keep you feeling optimistic all the way through.

Very worthwhile.

Yossarian

• forum hero

Possessor - Fairly full-on sci-fi horror from Brandon (son of David) Cronenberg. Not my usual cup of tea, but very stylish and clever. The Guardian suggested it was > Inception which got me interested. General idea is a future organisation are able to perform assassinations by connecting the killer to the mind of a zombie / stooge close to the target via a hardcore VR system. Unfortunately the killer (Andrea Riseborough) is experiencing various mental / personality defects triggered by previous missions which are exacerbated by aspects of the new one, which involve killing a gigantic tech-arsehole (Sean Bean). Things get very nasty, then extremely weird, followed by a magnificent twist at the end. Highly recommended.

(I followed this with his earlier 2012 film Antiviral, which was interesting but less convincing.)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Ohhh I've been looking for that - has it been released on streaming service(s)?

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yep - it’s on Amazon Prime / YouTube, etc.

tomtom

• forum hero
I really enjoyed Dark Waters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film) (on Netflix)

Quite a cast list with Mark Ruffalo as an unassuming civil environmental lawyer who takes on Dupont over how Teflon poisoned thousands of people. Its a gently paced legal drama - that keeps on going right until the end. True story etc.. with Cameo's from some of the actual protagonists (watch the end credits for where).

EDIT: Not many films that lead to a 10% drop in the stock price (of who the film is about) upon release!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:45:32 am by tomtom »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I really enjoyed Dark Waters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film) (on Netflix)

Quite a cast list with Mark Ruffalo as an unassuming civil environmental lawyer who takes on Dupont over how Teflon poisoned thousands of people. Its a gently paced legal drama - that keeps on going right until the end. True story etc.. with Cameo's from some of the actual protagonists (watch the end credits for where).

EDIT: Not many films that lead to a 10% drop in the stock price (of who the film is about) upon release!

Good shout. This is the last thing I saw in a cinema, and I agree it's excellent. Hopefully 2021 will be better for cinemas.

Recently (on Netflix) watched Jack Reacher. I'm sure people who have read the novels think it's awful because Cruise is too short etc etc; but I thought it was distinctly enjoyable uncomplicated silly action movie stuff. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. It's hardly memorable cinematic brilliance, but it doesn't pretend to be either.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:59:03 am by TobyD »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Just finished Dune Drifter which was pretty intense. Fighter pilot and her gunner crash land on a desolate planet.

Kind of like what the Martian might have been like if there was an Opposing Force and Hollywood didn't keep you feeling optimistic all the way through.
Sold!

Possessor - Fairly full-on sci-fi horror from Brandon (son of David) Cronenberg. Not my usual cup of tea, but very stylish and clever. The Guardian suggested it was > Inception which got me interested. General idea is a future organisation are able to perform assassinations by connecting the killer to the mind of a zombie / stooge close to the target via a hardcore VR system. Unfortunately the killer (Andrea Riseborough) is experiencing various mental / personality defects triggered by previous missions which are exacerbated by aspects of the new one, which involve killing a gigantic tech-arsehole (Sean Bean). Things get very nasty, then extremely weird, followed by a magnificent twist at the end. Highly recommended.
And that!

Cheers guys.

Steve R

• forum abuser
Watched Possessor last night.  Christ, probably the most graphic up close ultraviolence I've ever seen.  Style and concepts great.  Found the plot and, I guess as a result, some of the scenes and acting a bit sluggish.  Subtle and extremely dark but not particularly ambitious in terms of storytelling?  I guess that's the idea though... Where were the good guys? I guess that's not the idea...
Some of the scenes illustrating a 'transition' into a host thought were incredibly well done.  Ditto the conflicting consciousnesses within the same host body bits. 
Tuppence Middleton reliably  :wub:
Inevitable comparison with Inception - yes this is way better.  Always thought that movie was crap, best thing to come out of it was the Rick & Morty episode it inspired.     

Dune Drifter Tonight.

Thanks for the recs.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Watched Possessor last night.  Christ, probably the most graphic up close ultraviolence I've ever seen.
Useful to know. I'm a sensitive wee soul and whilst I don't mind OTT horror and gore, I struggle with gritty human-on-human violence. Might just watch Inception again, one of my favourite films ;)

Paul B

• forum hero

It's also on Prime I believe.

Red Sparrow was on C4 a few weeks ago after maintaining a very high rental cost on other services previously. We both thought it was excellent.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Something that I didn't mention before is that Dune Drifter was made on a tiny budget, so do factor that in as you watch. It seems to have become the victim of a downvoting pile on on IMDB so its score is somewhere around 3 now. Some reasonable criticisms levelled at it there but it's certainly not worth 1/10! I thought it was enjoyable for what it was. I'd be interested to know what UKBers think if they watch it.

Steve R

• forum abuser
You got that defense in just in time!  1/10 generous, absolute shite.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
 :lol:

Did it not at least add something that the baddies seem to have been modelled on Fiend?

Steve R

• forum abuser
I'm sure that would've helped but I didn't make it as far as the bits with baddies in.  Sacked pretty early on with the realisation this was time better spent just watching star wars (including the new ones), possibly even Inception  :lol:

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Sacked pretty early on with the realisation this was time better spent just watching star wars (including the new ones),

That’s a seriously low bar to fall under!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Downgrading before completing is frowned upon in these parts.
 :spank:

tomtom

• forum hero
Red Sparrow was on C4 a few weeks ago after maintaining a very high rental cost on other services previously. We both thought it was excellent.

Me and MrsTT watched about 40 min of this and thought it just a bit crap. The whole spy school of seduction/sex school part was - well just weird and didnt seem to add up to me either portraying it as weird/traumatic or otherwise... I wondered if these bits were supposed to titilate (I struggled for a better word!) with some gratuitous naked scenes that didnt really seem to add anything to it... Oh well! Maybe it got better :)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero

This is absolutely brilliant. Great shout.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Watched Backkklansman last night. Really enjoyed it, funny but with a very serious point. Some thinly veiled digs at Trump.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
The Shape of Water was on TV recently so might still be available on 4od. We watched it last night and both really enjoyed it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Another shout for Dark Waters. Thought it was very good.

Lucky Logan - A very good and funny crime caper with a good cast. Really enjoyed it.

The Gentlemen - Daft as a brush but made me laugh out loud a few times. Hugh Grant camping it up and Colin Farrow are great in it. It’s a Guy Richie movie so y’know.

Crock of Gold - A biopic of Shane McGowan by Julian Temple. Pretty bleak seeing him in the state he’s on but a good movie nevertheless. Thankfully avoids the usual rock-star-talking-heads thing that plague music documentaries.

tomtom

• forum hero
The lawyer in Dark Waters (forgotten his name) had an op Ed in yesterday’s Guardian.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal