UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139418 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
pain and glory
I'd not seen any of Almodavar's films before this, it is truly brilliant.  There is a lot of drug use,  but it doesn't feel gratuitous.  I almost went to see some mindless action film but was very glad I didn't; its serious and thoughtful,  yet entertaining throughout. 

cowboyhat

• forum hero
pain and glory
I'd not seen any of Almodavar's films before this, it is truly brilliant.  There is a lot of drug use,  but it doesn't feel gratuitous.  I almost went to see some mindless action film but was very glad I didn't; its serious and thoughtful,  yet entertaining throughout.

the synopsis makes it sound pure otto e mezzo

In which note, the other side of the wind. the story of how this was made is almost as interesting as the film itself.

And while I'm on directors looking inwards, just re-watched All That Jazz. There is a series about Fosse on at the moment which made me think of it. (I haven't seen the series). Upon release in 1979, director Stanley Kubrick reportedly called it "[the] best film I think I have ever seen".

But take it from me, etczz...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Finally got round to watching Annihilation at last (I know, I know), on a fairly giant TV. Wow. As great and gripping as it (and the source book) promised it to be. Stylistic blend of beauty and beast, good soundtrack too. Pushed the 15 rating in places, I thought. Pity it didn't make the cinema over here, but really glad it got made.

TobyD

• forum hero
Ad Astra

In my opinion not the brilliant space opera it was lauded as by some critics, it's certainly entertaining and looks beautiful, but slightly too full of its own self importance to really hit the spot. Perhaps my expectations were too high having seen it billed as 2001 meets Apocalypse Now. The internal monologue and descent into hell narrative certainly reference the latter, but nowhere near as effectively.
Having said all that, it's actually fairly decent, I was just a bit disappointed that it wasn't amazing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
having seen it billed as 2001 meets Apocalypse Now.

That was Event Horizon, wasn't it?

crzylgs

• stalker
Ad Astra

In my opinion not the brilliant space opera it was lauded as by some critics, it's certainly entertaining and looks beautiful, but slightly too full of its own self importance to really hit the spot. Perhaps my expectations were too high having seen it billed as 2001 meets Apocalypse Now. The internal monologue and descent into hell narrative certainly reference the latter, but nowhere near as effectively.
Having said all that, it's actually fairly decent, I was just a bit disappointed that it wasn't amazing.

This time of year super mediocre movies get HYPED to oblivion as 'Oscar contenders' by a predominantly American over zealous advertising PR factory, which i think some (likely paid off / endorsed) critics and review sites get carried away with, ESPECIALLY if they star some kind of older (making a comeback, or formerly disgraced) movie star. Same thing happened with J-Lo in Hustle. This one is 'Sci-Fi Epic + Brad Pitt'. I think they'd be better off spending far less on the PR budget (probably doesn't suit the 'Hollywood accounting' though...) hyping less, leaving people more likely to be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. Agree that it is OK. But definitely no masterpiece. The monologue/narration was terrible and can only imagine it's aimed at the most ignorant, dumb, movie going audience... But ruins it for anyone with half a brain.

crzylgs

• stalker
having seen it billed as 2001 meets Apocalypse Now.

That was Event Horizon, wasn't it?

Event Horizon is absolutely fantastic, especially if you're at all familiar with the Warhammer 40k universe? Then watch it as an 'origin story' for that universe!  :devil-smiley:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
As someone "slightly" familiar with Warhammer 40k, it scared the wits out of me in the cinema as a youth!

SA Chris

• forum hero
A-Lister + Sci Fi + Hype generally means disappointment; Solaris, Gravity....

largeruk

• player
A review of this movie contained this zinger: "A character that struggles to display human emotions. The part Pitt was born to play."

TobyD

• forum hero
Having reviewed ad astra slightly negatively, im going to stick up for it. I don't think it's 'super mediocre' it has brilliant cinematography, an excellent score and does feature some tense scenes. I quite liked TLJ as Kurtz in space. Granted it is derivative, Brad Pitt pretty much does what he always does, and it is a little pretentious but it's not awful! 3*/5*

Pain and Glory, on the other hand is absolutely brilliant. 5*/5*

TobyD

• forum hero
the farewell

An affecting, funny film. Not really what I expected, although I'm not entirely sure what my expectations were thinking about it. Suffice to say, it's different and interesting, and well worth watching.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

Gravity was good. Especially at Imax

Also: The Martian, Inception, Minority Report, Looper, Edge Of Tomorrow, Oblivion, The Matrix, Passengers, Contagion, The Adjustment Bureau, Interstellar etc etc. P.S. I know fuck all about A-listers and hype but these sprang to mind for a start.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Also: The Martian, Inception, Minority Report, Looper, Edge Of Tomorrow, Oblivion, The Matrix, Passengers, Contagion, The Adjustment Bureau, Interstellar etc etc.

Is this meant to be a list of good films or bad films!?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Fiend - thanks for the reminder to watch Annihilation. I thought it was great apart from the sequence inside the lighthouse which kind of let the rest of the excellent film down.  A good adaptation nevertheless and Natalie Portman was fantastic.

The Levelling is on iPlayer and really good.  A dark, brooding family drama set in the Somerset levels. 

Watched John Wick 3 last night.  It picks up immediately as the last left off which John Wick excommunicated and with a bounty hanging over his head.  Cue two hours of cartoonish choreographed fighting and capers.  It's very tongue in cheek and funny. 

Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Herzog.  I've wanted to watch this for ages but it's not available online anywhere (to my knowledge) so I got a 2nd hand DVD.  It's absolutely brilliant.  An exploration of the Chauvet cave in the Ardeche which was discovered in '94 and contains these remarkable cave paintings dating back over thirty thousand years.  Mind-blowing.

Once upon a time in Queens After serving 25 years in prison, an elderly mafiosi boss returns to Queens and comes to terms with his ageing and that things ain't they way they were.  Good.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Herzog.  I've wanted to watch this for ages but it's not available online anywhere (to my knowledge) so I got a 2nd hand DVD.  It's absolutely brilliant.  An exploration of the Chauvet cave in the Ardeche which was discovered in '94 and contains these remarkable cave paintings dating back over thirty thousand years.  Mind-blowing.

footage of the inside of the Chauvet cave?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
just ordered a 2nd hand DVD of it

we went in the replica this summer, which was a worthwhile tour

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Yeah it’s footage from inside the cave.  He was granted a week to film - some of it is with the scientists and archaeologists and the rest was just done with the crew. 

I got a 2nd hand DVD too.  It was a blu-Ray and came in 2D and 3D version - I don’t know anyone with a 3D tele but if I find someone who has one I’d love to watch it.

Hope you enjoy it Lagers - I certainly did.  I’ve been thinking about it all week.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Welcome to a shot on our telly FD, got the specs and all.

Ended up watching 12 Strong the other night. American Special Forces in Afghanistan. A bit gung ho, but some good action sequences, and based on actual events, apparently. Entertaining but a bit mindless.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Thanks Chris - I'll bring it with me next time I'm up in Aberdeen (it may be a while!)

tomtom

• forum hero
Unexpectedly- I found myself watching - continuing to watch and enjoying the recent rehash of a Baywatch movie.

Starring the Rock (is he really the largest salary actor??) it was funny - and heavily took the piss out of itself which I liked. I mean it’s crap but enjoyable crap.

I can’t believe I just posted that 😂

largeruk

• player
Films I've watched recently.

Transit
Refugees running away from persecution, hiding from the dangers of deportation, waiting for the visas that can save lives, boarding the ship that navigates to the promised shore of salvation. The film is adapted from a novel set during the second world war but set in a modern day version of Vichy France. Slow, 'art house' style of film making with an underlying tension which builds during the course of the film - def. not to everyone's taste. By no means a flawless film, but it stayed with me.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Either it's a film that's way too artsy where just about everything has to be inferred and interpreted rather than made obvious - a bit like watching a movie version of abstract art. Or it's a beautiful, moving portrait of friendship, loss, masculinity, racial stereotypes and gentrification which does what some films do: make us see things differently. Took me a while to get into but ultimately was glad I persevered.

Embrace of The Serpent
Aguirre the Wrath of God meets Apocalypse Now. The story of two explorers, 30 years apart, trying to find a mysterious healing plant in the Amazon jungle guided by a shaman who is the last of his tribe. Beautifully shot in black and white. Minimal and stark. Contemplative and terrifying. Meditative and mesmerising. I can however easily see that it could be seen as just another slow, hackneyed, preachy tome masquerading as profound.

All of these, I'd say, are non-mainstream 'Marmite' films. Personally I got something out of each one.

tomtom

• forum hero
El Camino

The Netflix film follow on from Breaking Bad. Really enjoyed it - great production and cinematography - and a couple of nice plot touches. Felt a tad Tarantino like (his good work) in places - though petered out a bit until the end.

TobyD

• forum hero
El Camino

The Netflix film follow on from Breaking Bad. Really enjoyed it - great production and cinematography - and a couple of nice plot touches. Felt a tad Tarantino like (his good work) in places - though petered out a bit until the end.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that. Jesse was such a brilliant character in Breaking Bad I'd watch it to see how they developed him.

Saw Official Secrets this evening. Brilliant film about GCHQ whistleblower before the second Iraq war. Some knowing lines about PMs not being allowed to make up their own facts... I don't think the screenwriter was only thinking of the subject matter there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal