UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139582 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
La Novia (the bride)

Excellent film adaptation of Federico Garcia Lorca’s play Bodas De Sangre (Blood Wedding).

Lust, passion, shame, betrayal and revenge in rural 30s Spain. Based on a true story where the bride ran away with her real love - on her wedding night.

Poetic, beautifully shot and gripping.

Free screening on Weds night, 6-8pm at the Instituto Cervantes, opposite the Hilton on Deansgate, Manchester.

https://cultura.cervantes.es/manchester/en/la-novia/120639

Edit- in Spanish

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bohemian Rhapsody? Yay or nay?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

TobyD

• forum hero
Shoplifters

A great movie though I didn't like it quite as much as many of the critics, that said the cinematography is beautiful and the story touching. I felt as though quite a lot was lost in translation but nevertheless, excellent. 4.5/5 *

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
The Beat That My Heart Skipped

Saw this French film from 2005 on dvd last week and it was really really good. Gangsterish film crossed with classical piano! It really worked though.

tomtom

• forum hero
Widows

Saw this last week with MrsTT. Bear in mind I go to the cinema once a year now we have child....

Really really good - Steve McQueen directed. Great performances. Sort of loosely based on the ideas of the Lynda LePlante series (widows of bank robbers do their own thang) it was really really good. Great characters and character development. Really good plot with no obvious signposting and some neat twists. No background music (that I remember) that is something I increasingly like to see in films. Well worth a view.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Shoplifters

A great movie though I didn't like it quite as much as many of the critics, that said the cinematography is beautiful and the story touching. I felt as though quite a lot was lost in translation but nevertheless, excellent. 4.5/5 *

Managed to get rid of the lad for the night (irony!) and saw this with the other half. Really enjoyed it but I do like this sort of thing. The Japanese title is literally "shoplifting family" and it's mostly about what a family is. Don't expect Guy Richie!  At a few points it helped to have some familiarity with Japanese culture and news. There were a couple of points which felt slightly implausible but my Japanese other half though entirely realistic when we talked about it after. Hard to be specific without giving the plot away but, as an example, there have been a few stories of children dying in hot cars after being left whilst their parents play Pachinko.

4.5 stars is about right, I note Peter Bradshaw gave it 4 first time he saw it and 5 the second time and I can see it rewarding another viewing.

TobyD

• forum hero
Widows

Saw this last week with MrsTT. Bear in mind I go to the cinema once a year now we have child....

Really really good  ... Well worth a view.

I've been to the cinema twice this weekend.... Saw this this afternoon after a works session, I totally agree with you TT, very entertaining.

Great to hear you enjoyed Shoplifters as well Duncan.

bubbles

Bohemian Rhapsody? Yay or nay?

I saw this the other day. Great if you like Queen and want an excuse to watch a few Queen songs get belted out. I suspect the truth has received a pretty liberal airbrushing. Enjoyable nonetheless.

TobyD

• forum hero
mortal engines

Saw this this weekend. Like a cross between star wars, lord of the rings and Mad Max. I absolutely loved it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Read the review on the weekend, sounds good. suitable for 9 year old son as well? 

SamT

• forum hero
My lads (11 and 12) have read all the books and loved them. Really looking forward to going to see the movie now!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Might try and persuade him, although he has his mind set on Bumblebee movie first.

TobyD

• forum hero
Read the review on the weekend, sounds good. suitable for 9 year old son as well?

I would have thought so. The terminator a like character could be a little scary, it's quite violent in a very cartoony way. If he's okay with Indiana Jones / Star Wars type stuff he'd be happy

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
mortal engines

Saw this this weekend. Like a cross between star wars, lord of the rings and Mad Max. I absolutely loved it.

Didn't even know this was being made into a film. I loved the books as a kid.

TobyD

• forum hero
mortal engines

Didn't even know this was being made into a film. I loved the books as a kid.

I've not read the books, but thought it was great, really worth seeing on a big screen. I'm sure they'll film the rest of them unless it's a total box office flop, which it doesn't deserve to be

crzylgs

• stalker
I watched 'Assassination Nation' was slightly losing me in the second act but the third won me over.

Maybe not for everyone and I'm not entirely sure how to describe it without sounding like a pretentious film tosser so here goes... Some people would call it a horror but that isn't right, it's a bloodbath for sure but in the rather over the top cartoonish way. Not a lousy jump scare. More than anything it's a commentary on modern social media trends, especially the tendency for hysterical 'mass outrage' from people vastly detached from the facts and how the mob mentality jumps from scandal to scandal. Words that people will throw around while talking about it: Hyper stylised, vivid colour palette and imagery, 'avenging Angels', satirical black-comedy.

I'd encourage people to check it out and interested to hear opinions back.

TobyD

• forum hero
the mule
Extremely entertaining, supremely unchallenging. Like the bastard love child of last of the summer wine and breaking bad. ( I partly stole this comparison from a review, but thought it extremely apt)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The Favourite

Queen Ann’s reign rewritten as a lesbian love triangle. May be a bit of historical licence but I found it  funny, tense and though a biit odd at moments the twisting plot was very entertaining.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Might try and persuade him, although he has his mind set on Bumblebee movie first.

Which was actually quite good low maintenance fun. Robots beating the crap out of each other pleased my son (9) the sentimental bits pleased my daughter (6) and I enjoyed both, plus the 80s soundtrack.

TobyD

• forum hero
Vice

Entertaining but often confused film making. Some brilliant performances / impressions. Gets too caught up in its own stylistic devices and doesn't pay enough attention to a strong narrative drive. Worth seeing though, for all that.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
We watched A Quiet Place t'other night.

I'd recommend watching it with the lights off and surround sound cranked up a bit. Was a good film.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Favourite
Queen Ann’s reign rewritten as a lesbian love triangle. May be a bit of historical licence but I found it  funny, tense and though a biit odd at moments the twisting plot was very entertaining.

I really didn't like this. I thought it had funny moments but that the writing was awful, most of the acting very stilted and forced, and whatever sort of curved / fish-eye type lens they used throughout it  was really annoying.
The ducks were funny though.

TobyD

• forum hero
All is True

Went to see this yesterday. Enjoyable thespian fluff. The acting is good. Moderately amusing in parts. Nothing special but very likeable.

TobyD

• forum hero
A Private War

10/10.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal