UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139659 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
It sounds like it;s based on a C64 game I loved when I was around 10 y.o; Pacific Rim with added nostalgia: cannot resist!

adam w

There doesn't seem to be much out of interest right now which I haven't seen; anyone seen Ready Player One?

Saw this on Friday with my sons, 9 and 10. Eldest had read the book and really enjoyed the film but said it wasn't as good as the book. Youngest loved it as well. I spent most of the time feeling slighty dizzy due to the 3d effects. Loads of pop references for those of us born in the seventies.

mark20

• junky
Similar to Adam W, I found some of the scenes really fast and flashy, made me feel a bit dizzy. The whole thing felt quite rushed, even though I'm told it misses out a load of stuff from the book. I still quite enjoyed it though

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I'm late to the party but I saw The Revenant on Netflix. I admire the pluck to film in some obviously challenging locations (how did the get all the kit and lighting to that melting river without disturbing the snow; is that a CGI avalanche or did they trigger it?) and of DiC to take a role with so little else except gritting teeth, groaning and grimacing. However, ultimately it looks to me like a lesson in how important good dialogue and interactions between characters is to driving a plot forward. I think it started really strongly but really tailed off towards the end. A film where so much could have been improved by leaving a heap of film on the cutting room floor.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Savage film. It's an experience watching, isn't it? I can't say I enjoyed it but that's not to say I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

I thought this was a decent watch. (currently on Netflix). It is not, as you might assume from the title a dull piece of sub Masterchef food pr0n, but a strange, moody portrait of one of the most driven human beings you are ever likely to see. It's almost like a portrait of an elite athlete in his unceasing dedication to his craft. Jiro's relationship with his family is particularly fascinating / horrifying / unique depending on your view of his utter singlemindedness.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Jiro dreams of Sushi is really great for the reasons you mention. Alas it is not possible to book a table at his restaurant unless you have a Japanese address.

TobyD

• forum hero
Just seen A Ciambre

Initially found the shaky Steadicam a bit frustrating but got really into it. Definitely worth watching.

TobyD

• forum hero
Oblivion on Netflix at the moment. Ok because it's on Netflix... It looks cool, but hasn't got a lot to it really. Great piece of cheesy dialogue at the end:
Giant robot triangle: I am your God, I created you Jack.
Cruise (Jack) to giant robot triangle: Fuck you Sally.

Not exactly Shakespeare is it, but it made me chuckle! 

5.5/10 gets plus points for the cool killer drones which are a rip off of ed209 in RoboCop, the HKs in Terminator... And any number of other movies

andy popp

• forum hero
I don't think Hulu is the UK but maybe there'll be some other form of distribution for this great documentary, nominally about skating but really about so much more:

Review article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/08/minding-the-gap-is-an-extraordinary-feat-of-filmmaking/567790/

TobyD

• forum hero
Blindspotting

Most powerful piece of cinema I've seen in ages. Manages to be funny, tense, violent and human. That will hopefully make sense when you've seen it...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Just a quick one....

Do not go and see Venom!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Never would have guessed that  ::) :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Solo - A Star Wars Movie - worth saving for a decent size screen, or crap enough that watching a plane won't detract anything from it.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Solo was brilliant. I really enjoyed it.

The Last Jedi on the other hand.....  :shit:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Solo - A Star Wars Movie - worth saving for a decent size screen, or crap enough that watching a plane won't detract anything from it.

Is this a question or a cryptic review, I can't tell?

The fact that there was a Star Wars movie out totally passed me by, but I loved Rogue One. Do I need to see this?

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Yes Will, you should definitely watch it. I thought Rouge One was also brilliant, the Last Jedi is utter tripe though.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Goldstone. Was on BBC 4 over the weekend and now on iplayer. Absolutely brilliant. Australian outback drama/thriller. Get it watched.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
The other half and I just bought a year pass for our local independent cinema, GFT. With it came a year's membership to MUBI - if you like independent, low budget, interesting (if not always 5*) films, you know, the types that do the rounds of of film festivals never to be seen again, certainly not on Netflix....well, now's your chance!

It's a curated, time limited service. Films only stay on for 30 days. Each film tells you how many days left you have to see it.

We just watched Dans La Maison, a humorous french film about a young lad interested in writing and voyeurism. Not perfect, some stand out character glitches but funny, thought provoking and eminently watchable,

SA Chris

• forum hero
Plane watches;

Deadpool 2 - more of the goods from the first, possibly not quite as funny, but still low maintenance fun and definitely worth watching.

American Animals interesting mix of talking heads and story about college students pulling off a robbery. Really enjoyed this, recommended.

Isle of Dogs just brilliant. Typical Wes Anderson quirkiness, great story and brilliant animation (like that of the recent fantastic Mr Fox) Highly recommend it.

Blockers low maintence story about parents trying to stop kids having sex on prom night. Funny bits, lots of crap bits, not really worth it unless on a transatlantic flight with nothing else.

Tag another mindless film about men who have been mates since childhood who still play tag one month a year. See above.

TobyD

• forum hero
Plane watches;

Deadpool 2 - more of the goods from the first, possibly not quite as funny, but still low maintenance fun and definitely worth watching.

Isle of Dogs just brilliant. Typical Wes Anderson quirkiness, great story and brilliant animation (like that of the recent fantastic Mr Fox) Highly recommend it.

Iod is great isn't it. I rewatched Deadpool one recently, im looking forward to seeing 2 at some point. That movie definitely hits my sense of humour...

On a different topic, did anyone else see blindspotting? It is really the best thing I think I've seen this year.....

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Goldstone. Was on BBC 4 over the weekend and now on iplayer. Absolutely brilliant. Australian outback drama/thriller. Get it watched.
Mrs S and me watched this last night, loved it, thanks for the heads up!

SA Chris

• forum hero

I rewatched Deadpool one recently, im looking forward to seeing 2 at some point. That movie definitely hits my sense of humour...

I like that loads of parents ignored age rating, thought it was just another superhero movie and took young kids to see it....

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Watched this the same week as Wind River, also worth a look. They share a lot of common ground - outsider cop, indigenous people, The Company, big empty landscapes. Understated, ponderous Nick Cave soundtrack to Wind River.

TobyD

• forum hero
The Guilty

I went to see this as I was intrigued how a movie which features a man talking on a phone in one room for an hour and a half could get such resoundingly positive reviews.
It is worth every one of them, brilliant. The simple yet extremely effective shots, and incredible performance from the actor.

It's in cinemas now, and it is something you would need to see in a cinema I think. The intensity would not work at home on a TV.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal