UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139630 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Just went to see Murder on the Orient Express, good fun, forgettable and a bit silly but I enjoyed it. Branagh is highly entertaining. Some nice camera work as well.

TobyD

• forum hero
the death of Stalin : absolutely unmissable. Hilarious. See it.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Has The Lobster been mentioned? Watched it earlier as I've not seen anything by Yorgos Lanthimos before and I'd heard good things about the new one - The Killing of a Sacred Dear.

Quite amazing, bizarre and unsettling. Ended up in quite a unusual state of mind at the end. Powerful, funny and very weird.

Also, and weird too but in a different way, Theatre of Blood. Made in 73, and on YouTube (not great quality). Some brilliant old school British character actors, crazy plot, outlandish deaths. Highly recommended.

Plattsy

• forum hero
The Killing of a Sacred Dear.

Quite amazing, bizarre and unsettling.

TKoaSD also quite amazing, bizarre and unsettling with the same style of delivery. One that definitely stays with you for a while.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Deer surely. Unless it's someone close to you..

Yossarian

• forum hero
Sorry - a slip of the thumb...

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I can’t be the only Marvel geek on here, Shirley.

The trailer for the next Avengers film, Infinity War, has me very excited. And I’m very much looking forward to seeing Black Panther too when it comes out, February I think.

TobyD

• forum hero
Thor Ragnorok

Saw this yesterday. Standard Marvel high camp, spaceships, silly gags and medieval weaponry. Excellent entertainment if you are in the mood for that sort of thing, which I was.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I thought the use of The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin for the fight on the bridge was a stroke of genius. Thor is one of the best movies this year.

TobyD

• forum hero
I thought the use of The Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin for the fight on the bridge was a stroke of genius. Thor is one of the best movies this year.

Yeah thought it was really funny, and quite liked the soundtrack. The cast list is amazing, Anthony Hopkins, Jeff Goldblum, Cate Blanchett... Wierd combination. Not quite as 'grown up' as death of Stalin and obviously very different, but just as entertaining in a different way.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Jim and Andy - story behind the scenes of Jim Carey going deep into character while playing Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon. Netflix. Very interesting to see another, thoughtful, side to Jim.

TobyD

• forum hero
Not a new one, but just watched The Hurt Locker this weekend. Incredible movie, tense and involving. See it if you haven't.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Since the lad is a huge fan of Sherlock, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch playing his own great-great-great-great (etc) uncle in Richard III might be a good bet for introducing him to Shakespeare. Which it was.

Now he says he want to see Hamlet. So, ukb Kultured Krew, what is the best teenager-accessible film version?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:31:28 pm by Muenchener »

TobyD

• forum hero
Kenneth Branagh's one filmed in Blenheim palace is pretty good. I liked it anyway, and I've seen it more than  3 times on stage. If you can take him to a really good production that's even better.

TobyD

• forum hero
Just went to see star wars this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Best light saber fights in any of them,it has some pretty funny bits, and Mark Hamill is even pretty decent.

kelvin

• forum hero
I gotta say, I've never left the cinema feeling so underwhelmed - Stars Wars for me was too long, poor character development and I ended up not caring if anybody survived. Apart from Skywalker, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the part was acted. It was all a big too cheesy for me and the joke scenes felt a little forced.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I was perhaps overexcited about this, especially because of some of the early reviews and comments from people who’d seen it in previews. I was totally underwhelmed too. Creaky 70s sitcom humour, hardly any questions answered, good characters wasted, weak characters overplayed. Agree that Mark Hamill was good, and Carrie Fisher (for the few seconds she was on screen) but the rest were pretty average. And the island natives were the most ridiculous pastiches of Mr Toad as the Washerwoman. I thought that was rather crass.

Samira Ahmed (of Radio 4 Front Row) wrote a piece about it which I read the day after seeing it, and I pretty much agree with all of it. Contains spoilers, natch. http://www.samiraahmed.co.uk/i-sense-a-disturbance-everything-thats-missing-from-the-last-jedi-some-spoilers-so-see-it-first/

SamT

• forum hero

I wouldn't stop anyone going to see it, but yer, bits of it were lacking. The attempts at slapstick humour really missed the mark for me to the point of spoiling some of the good/tense action scenes.  Some quite major plot lines seemed to just wither and die, to the extent that they could have just been left out completely leaving the film at a more normal length.

Perhaps I'm turning into a grumpy old fart, but by christ I wish cinemas would just knock the sound down from 11 down to say 8.  Kids are meant to have better hearing than adults and it was waaayyy too loud to the point of spoiling the experience.  [/humbug]

TobyD

• forum hero
The Adjustment Bureau

Watched this last night, knew nothing about it beforehand, other than that it's based on a Phillip K Dick short story. I thought it was a really tightly edited, nicely concise movie. A touch cheesy in parts, but in a way that I liked. Damon is good in the lead role. Recommended.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Just went to see star wars this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Best light saber fights in any of them,it has some pretty funny bits, and Mark Hamill is even pretty decent.

I agree. It was by far the best movie I saw this year (I saw two: Blade Runner & The last Jedi   ::) ), and for me the favourite Star Wars movie so far (I've seen them all, except Attack of the clones and Revenge of the Sith).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Perhaps I'm turning into a grumpy old fart, but by christ I wish cinemas would just knock the sound down from 11 down to say 8.  Kids are meant to have better hearing than adults and it was waaayyy too loud to the point of spoiling the experience.  [/humbug]

My son struggles with loud noises, so we usually go to the autism friendly screening; sound is down a bit, but still loud enough, house lights dimmed righ5 down but not off, and no adverts or trailers, just straight into film. And cinema is usually about 10% full. Going to see last Jedi on Sunday mornin* showing

TobyD

• forum hero

I agree. It was by far the best movie I saw this year (I saw two: Blade Runner & The last Jedi   ::) ), and for me the favourite Star Wars movie so far (I've seen them all, except Attack of the clones and Revenge of the Sith).

At last! Another person who likes it ;-) I'm not saying it's a total classic or anything, but it's very entertaining

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I thought Star Wars was OK. Not amazing, not utter shite. Somewhere in the middle. I didn't mind the humour.

There are quite a few WTF bits that I didn't like though. One minor one of these is the laser beams that travelled through space in an arc. Why is that happening to light. In zero g?

More major faults:

NSFW  spoilers:
What's that bit in the cave on the island all about? So the dark side is down there or something? And she goes down there and there's just a weird mirror thing and she does some finger clicking. What? Presumably this must have some real significance to the plot because it's a few minutes of on-screen time and could so easily have been left in the cutting room.

NSFW  spoliers:
The only bit of the film which I can say is outright BAD is that bit. You know the bit I'm talking about. Leia in space. In reviews online people seem to be complaining that Leia has Jedi powers which seem to spring from nowhere. I don't particularly care about that. What I care about is why the gases in her blood haven't expanded and left her enormously bloated and why the moisture in her mouth isn't boiling. And then she get's to the blown up bridge and presumably hammers on the door and shouts (into the vacuum of space) "OPEN THE FUCKING DOOR". And somehow she gets on board the ship without doing it's inhabitants any harm, even though there's no air lock.

That last spoiler is just unforgivable for me. It wholly destroys the suspended disbelief of the cinema. The scene doesn't need to be in the film, so why make it?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I didn't see the original Star Wars films when I was an impressionable child (there was no way my mother would let me see anything with War in the title), so they never were anything else than enjoyable sword-and-sorcery romps full of plot-holes, bad acting and things that can only be explained by magic; maybe that's why I am able to enjoy the reboots as they are much the same except with better actors.

seankenny

• forum hero
Since the lad is a huge fan of Sherlock, I thought Benedict Cumberbatch playing his own great-great-great-great (etc) uncle in Richard III might be a good bet for introducing him to Shakespeare. Which it was.

Now he says he want to see Hamlet. So, ukb Kultured Krew, what is the best teenager-accessible film version?

My better half watched the Mel Gibson (!) version for her English Literature degree, and rated it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal