UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139291 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Spring Breakers?

I discovered it on some random best films of the millennium so far, and i would agree with that, despite lesser reviews from the more popular sites.

It's directed by Harmony Korine, it's totally love or hate, it has James Franco playing a part that no-one in his position / in their right mind would ever usually accept, amazing camera work, blazing colours, music.

Catcheemonkey

• addict
amazing camera work, blazing colours, music.

It's worth watching, even if just for the weird Britney Spears sing along scene - which is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yossarian

• forum hero
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 08:50:31 pm by Yossarian »

Doylo

• forum hero
Arrival. Reminded me of a Christopher Nolan film- thought provoking for a blockbuster. Very good.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Just watched Ides of March. Not sure what to think of it. In some way I think it might have been better with no-name actors as the themes, plot etc. were interesting but I think that it could have been delivered better? 

Definitely enjoyed it, but it could probably have been quite a lot better, maybe?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I thought it was OK, but expected a bit more of it, and ended up feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Fantastic Beasts!

Fantastic! I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so was probably always going to like this film, but I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It was excellent, and Eddie Redmayne was superb. It is certainly worthy of its 12 rating, some bits are quite jumpy and dark. Kind of a grown ups Harry Potter maybe? Properly absorbing though, JK Rowling has a wonderfully creative mind.

There were quite a few references to Harry Potter too, I got most of them (geek) but my Mrs missed a lot!

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
For those who like Japanese anime films in the Studio Ghibli line, I thoroughly recommend Your Name.

This is probably the film I've enjoyed most in the last year or two. I was totally gripped and transported into the world of the film. Beautiful animation and a beautiful, strange and imaginative storyline. I'd describe it as a cross between Freaky Friday, Donnie Darko and Ghost!

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Not a frequent poster on here, due to my penchant for brainless superheroes movies, but I've recently watched Solaris and Stalker by Tarkowskij and WOW!

SA Chris

• forum hero
I seem to remember bigtuboflard met up with him in the Alps and said he's quite a tidy skiier still.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
He always was, apparently; I did just as Habrich described... Eddie only just missed a place on the downhill team, or some such.

All posts either sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek or mildly mocking-in-a-friendly-way unless otherwise stated. I always forget to put those smiley things...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I seem to remember bigtuboflard met up with him in the Alps and said he's quite a tidy skiier still.

Eddie Edwards is his father.

SA Chris

• forum hero
I thought the same.

"Read carefully" Slackers.

Anyway, BTOL can confirm I'm sure.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Bridge of Spies.

This one is a tricky one. Generally good acting,  well shot,  slow burner pace. I enjoyed watching it.

Spoilers.

The thing that bothered me was this a flawed historical piece that continued to promote anti-russian/communist sentiment (the portrayal of dark,  gloomy East Germany,  torture if prisoners (which apparently didn't happen according the The American who was portrayed in the film )  that shows that American takes the moral high ground? (plucky lawyer fights for foreign spy despite his country hating him,  to uphold the constitution and rule of law even when foreign affairs demand bending of such )

Or.

Is it a pointed finger at America (Guantanamo etc.) saying that no matter what worldwide affairs (war,  espionage etc.)  we shouldn't resort to truth and bending of laws.

Whatever the intentions were,  I do feel this will be accepted by many as an accurate portrayal of history,  which  it's not.

Or maybe people just go to watch a bit of entertainment eh?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SA Chris

• forum hero
On a Hanks note, Road to Perdition is on tomorrow, worth watching if you've not seen it

http://www.moviemix.co.uk/programs/road-perdition

and can tolerate the amount of adverts and SD quality on Movie Mix.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Just went to see arrival , absolutely 10/10. An incredible film of aesthetic beauty, sophisticated enough yet with enough action and drama to make it constantly compelling.

Late to watching this, but bloody brilliant, quoting the above for truth :). Everything works well, characters, story, and particularly the realistic unfolding of earlier events. Some elegant and iconic images too.

FOTY by a long way.

SA Chris

• forum hero

FOTY by a long way.

But but but you haven't seen Rogue 1 yet! Unless you were out at midnight last night.

remus

• forum hero
I watched Cardboard Boxer the other day. Best film I've seen in ages, though make sure you're in an emotionally stable state before you start watching.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Saw a film called Wild at the Leeds film festival this year. Really good if you want to see a wolf performing vigorous cunnilingus on a woman, the same woman doing a big poo on her boss' desk, her boss ejaculating onto her belly etc.

It was actually a half decent film. Average. I don't think the wolf carpet munching (is that phrase OK or is it misogynistic, I don't know) would have actually happened, as presumably it's illegal. But as I watched the other bits I was thinking, "they could have got her to hide a piping bag full of poo substitute and filmed her from behind squeezing it out onto the desk", or, it would have just been so much easier to film her pooing onto a desk.
Or, they could have got the actor to hold a pipette and squeeze out some semen substitute, whilst making it look like a realistic splattering, and convincingly looking like he was masturbating at the same time. Or, they could have got him to ejaculate on her belly.
I have no idea what I was watching.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Was this a pron film festival?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Saw a film called Wild at the Leeds film festival this year. Really good if you want to see a wolf performing vigorous cunnilingus on a woman, the same woman doing a big poo on her boss' desk, her boss ejaculating onto her belly etc.
Don't remember any of that when I watched Wild with Reece Witherspoon, must have been a directors cut.   ;D

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Herzog's Lo and Behold.   Brilliant documentary on the internet and technology.  Really worthwhile.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

It was actually a half decent film. Average. I don't think the wolf carpet munching (is that phrase OK or is it misogynistic, I don't know) would have actually happened, as presumably it's illegal. But as I watched the other bits I was thinking, "they could have got her to hide a piping bag full of poo substitute and filmed her from behind squeezing it out onto the desk", or, it would have just been so much easier to film her pooing onto a desk.
Or, they could have got the actor to hold a pipette and squeeze out some semen substitute, whilst making it look like a realistic splattering, and convincingly looking like he was masturbating at the same time. Or, they could have got him to ejaculate on her belly.
I have no idea what I was watching.

I thought you were making it up

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Saw Rouge One tonight. Very familiar terrain.

+ As good looking as Force Awakening, maybe even more so
+ Decent setup: what would star wars be like without the fantasy elements? (With reassuringly big plot-holes, to tie in with SW 1-7)
+ Donnie Yen was awesome as deranged religious fanatic/martial artist, Ben Mendelsohn was good

– The rest of the cast was not up to Force Awakening standards
– The first part, where they collect the crew was not good at all

Quite OK, three stars out of five or so.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Fantastic Beasts!

I'm at that sad stage where I'd still like to go and seen some films my son would have liked when he was younger - e.g. this one - but at thirteen things like that aren't cool enough for him any more. He's aviation obsessed and just wants to go an watch Sully twice a week for as long as it's still running.

Will need to borrow a smaller child from somebody. (Ideally if I could find one that also won't burn me off at the bouldering wall)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal