UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139307 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That is one f*cked up plot though dawg, who the hell writes this stuff  :???:

Oldboy is the second part of a trilogy by the director Chan-wook Park

http://www.film4.com/reviews/2013/stoker

tomtom

• forum hero
They could do a lot worse  ;)

but seriously i don't think i heard about any of those films on the list, who does their marketing?

hopefully Bond tomorrow

Honestly - why would anyone want to go and see a film called Spectre... sounds like an animated kids film (woooo ghosties wooooo) ;)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Saw the Shane Meadows doc about the Stone Roses getting back together called Made of Stone.  It's from a couple of yrs back I thought it was great.  Nice clip here:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I really enjoyed that too. Amazing how they could get together after being apart for so long and nail some of the songs perfectly.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Yep, deffo. The rehearsal footage was the best thing for me, they seem to work better in a small setting. The stadium footage at the end left me a bit cold.

And what a drummer...

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Really enjoyed watching Tim's Vermeer earlier this week. A documentary film about an inventor with a passing interest in Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer and how he managed to create artwork that surpased that of his era. An entralling story of how Tim (a none painter) went about creating his own Vermeer. I never thought watching paint dry would be so fascinating.

andy popp

• forum hero
I saw Spectre last night. It does what it should very well. I enjoyed it.

tomtom

• forum hero
Danny Boyle's Steve Jobs - just saw it with my wife in an otherwise totally empty cinema. I enjoyed it on several levels but I can see why it is not doing well: the focus on Jobs' roller-coaster career in the 80s and 90s must be confusing for people only familiar with Apple's more recent glorious iThing era. And it's pretty much continuous dialogue, with few other distractions, like a Richard Linklater film.

That makes it sound far more interesting than the iThing era...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Watched Fruitvale Station over the weekend, excellent film though not exactly easy viewing. Particularly timely given all the recent attention in the U.S. to gun control and police use of firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave

I saw Spectre last night. It does what it should very well. I enjoyed it.

Cheers, will be off to see it this week.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Two food films that worked for me lately: Chef (US indie style feelgood thing) and Barbecue (French chamber piece, group of friends getting older, probably needs a meetier script but nicely done). Other kinds of films are available.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The Martian was really good.

+1  :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Best film I've seen in ages.

tomtom

• forum hero
On the way back from Spectre. Very good.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
On the way back from Spectre. Very good.

I thought so too; great movie. Excellent car chase on the river.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Victoria.

A very impressive concept well executed. The whole thing is filmed in a single continuous take (2 1/4 hour thriller!) which makes it incredibly immersive. Well worth a watch.

Only problem I had was the disbelief wasn't quite suspended. I'll leave it at that to prevent spoilers!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I take it they used the same technique as Birdman - very clever sweeping "cuts" from one scene to the next, to make it appear very convincingly to be a single take?

Edited to say....but it's NOT like that -it is actually filmed in one take. Chapeau.

tomtom

• forum hero
The opening sequence (5-10 min?) of Spectre is one shot - and all the better for it.. As you both mention it draws the audience in much more.

tomtom

• forum hero
Ah - forgot to say saw Spectre at the Imax last night - which was OK (achy neck and too loud - bah,,)

BUT.. they showed the Star Wars film trailer - and that looked fooking amazing on the mahoosive screen!!
Can't wait (and whilst i like the franchise (sic) I'm not a fan/obsessive/geek (about that anyway...))

a dense loner

• forum hero
Strange you should say that about Star Wars I thought it looked log. Though I am of the opinion that there's only 3 Star Wars films.
Black mass (?) looked quite intriguing, trailer wasn't long enough to get a handle on it.
I thought Spectre was a bit disappointing tbh, I'll prob watch again to verify. Was very disappointed with christoph waltz.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Ex Machina

Didn't get a chance to the see this at the cinema - but well worth a watch at home. As other have said - creepy, freeky, thought provoking. Really "enjoyed" it.

What are we getting ourselves into?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
Aye, much better to leave it the wise power that be.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The Martian was really good.

+1  :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Best film I've seen in ages.
+2

Not the best film I've seen in ages, but I throughly enjoyed it.

That the backdrop for the entire film is Wadi Rum was a bit distracting. Whenever I lost thread of the dialogue I started to pick out lines in the background.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
20000 Days on Earth was good.  It's like a day in the life of Nick Cave with a healthy slice  of artistic licence thrown in.  Loved him talking about him approach to songwriting,  I'm not a huge fan of his music but that didn't seem to detract from it...

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos

The Great Beauty by Paolo Sorrentino (winner of best foreign language film Oscar, 2013) - magnificent, enthralling, bewildering meditation on ageing, loss and the city of Rome. The very definition of (high) art house film-making.

This is currently on Netflix and is very good. Cheers for the heads up.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Not sure if it's already been mentioned but St Vincent is well worth a watch. Bill Murray is superb as usual. Slightly schmaltzy in parts but not enough to spoil it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal