UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139304 times)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Mad max fury road- the best summary is to say bring back Mel Gibson and I say that under duress.  It was visually pretty amazing but the story was even thinner than a thin thing.  So, no real change from the earlier movies bar the fact it was actually thin and transparent.  The best bit was the rock star guitarist in the chase mob. Now that was class.

Visually stunning but meh.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Sicario tonight.... Will report back.   :popcorn:

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw The Martian last night. Superb. Best film I've seen in a long time (few years). Really enjoyed it (esp as mrsTT had fed me some duff beta about the end)...

Gallant

• player
The Lobster - weirdly dark comedy with a lot of deadpan delivery. Difficult to explain, and the trailer is slightly confusing, but would definitely recommend people catch it at some point!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Sicario is brilliant.  One of the best I've seen this year. 

a dense loner

• forum hero
That's not hard to beat though I don't think. Whenever I've been to the pictures this year I've seen the adverts and thought no, no, no, maybe but probably not, no. Worst year for films for some time I reckon.
Strangely I found myself on a flight on Monday and against my better judgement, and lack of anything else, I watched terminator genysis. I had no intention of watching this film after what they'd done to the others but I enjoyed every minute of it! Arnie was superb.

tomtom

• forum hero
The Martian sounds like it might be a bit too upbeat for you Dense ;)

Films on planes are an odd commodity.. I often want to watch something that doesn't require much though at all - I've watched the Lego movie about 4 times in long haul flights when in that 8-12 hour in strange state...

a dense loner

• forum hero
I'm not going to watch a film called the Martian. It just sounds shit  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

I'm not going to watch a film called the Martian. It just sounds shit  ;)
yeah - I mean Terminator Genisys just sounds so much..... ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
But it does sound better. If I see a book called "Ronald" I'm not going to make a beeline to read it since no apparent effort has gone into the title. However if a books called "Ronald the last of the inca's" then my curiosity might be aroused.
We know where the terminator has come from. We know what genesis means, even with its nu skool spelling, put the 2 together and you know what you're getting. Oh and it's got arnie in it  :tease: wtf is the Martian!

tomtom

• forum hero
The Martian is a rom com about a guy who gets depressed as his cat won't let him stroke it, so he goes on a long introspective road trip accross the vast withering plains of Hackney to try and find his inner soul. Of particular note is the animated dream sequence where a maroon whale spouts cerise bile over a dyson vacuum cleaner factory in Swindon.

What's not to like?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Since you put it like that...

tomtom

• forum hero

Since you put it like that...

More seriously .. It's about some snakes on a plane...

tomtom

• forum hero
Films on planes are an odd commodity.. I often want to watch something that doesn't require much though at all - I've watched the Lego movie about 4 times in long haul flights when in that 8-12 hour in strange state...

I think you are doing yourself down there. I watched the Lego Movie with the Sharks this summer, and had to request plot explanations at regular intervals from the kids.

You may have been subconsciously ignoring it - as the social subtext revolves around evil corporations taking over the world ;)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
wtf is the Martian!
It's a rather good book that the film is based on, you butt.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Sicario is brilliant.  One of the best I've seen this year.

Had a cursory glance at the description of this film, saw the 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, went to the cinema.

Can't say I found it all that great. I mean, I can't fault the production too much - tense, exciting etc. Call me cynical, but it just felt like another pentagon sponsored american war propaganda flick.

I asked my girlfriend what she thought. She's far less cynical than me and she said: 
It just felt like they were just trying to justify "breaking the rules" as long as it suited A Merica.

I.e. "yeah, we know we do shitty stuff (rendition, blowing up MSF hospitals, drone attacks etc.) but it's ok, it's all for the good of the US of A hoohaa!"

I think I just need to stop watching american war/FBI/CIA nonsense.  >:(

On a more upbeat note (while not an upbeat film) if you want some weird ass, dark, gripping fight-club goes Korean, dystopian, violent horror film. Can definitely recommend Oldboy (2003) which is on Netflix. 

TheTwig

• stalker
I watched the remake of oldboy and thought it was pretty good, I was surprised to see it scored so badly on IMDB but then again I haven't seen the original. That is one f*cked up plot though dawg, who the hell writes this stuff  :???:

Pako

• addict
I watched the remake of oldboy and thought it was pretty good, I was surprised to see it scored so badly on IMDB but then again I haven't seen the original. That is one f*cked up plot though dawg, who the hell writes this stuff  :???:

Well IMDB is never to be trusted, I mean their highest rated movie is Shawshank Redemption. You should watch the original Oldboy if you haven't already, its a great movie.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You should watch the original Oldboy if you haven't already, its a great movie.

:agree:

That is one f*cked up plot though dawg, who the hell writes this stuff  :???:

Oldboy is the second part of a trilogy by the director Chan-wook Park on the theme of 'revenge', the other two being Sympathy for Lady Vengence  and Sympathy for Mr Vengence neither of which are as good as Oldboy in my opinion.  Some of the quotes from him that are listed on IMDB might give some small insight...

I don't feel enjoyment watching films that evoke passivity. If you need that kind of comfort, I don't understand why you wouldn't go to a spa.

Basically, I'm throwing out the question 'When is such violence justified?' To get that question to touch the audience physically and directly - that's what my goal is. In the experience of watching my film, I don't want the viewer to stop at the mental or the intellectual. I want them to feel my work physically. And because that is one of my goals, the title 'exploitative' will probably follow me around for a while.

In our lives, we have good things and bad things, happiness and pain. Life is full of pain and happiness and that's what I wanted to show.

Living without hate for people is almost impossible. There is nothing wrong with fantasizing about revenge. You can have that feeling. You just shouldn't act on it.

I have principles and rules. I deal very carefully with acts of violence and make sure that audiences understand how much suffering these acts cause.

Some of his other films are very good, I particularly liked I'm a Cyborg, But thats Ok.

dave

Any you thugs seen the new Bond offering?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

a dense loner

• forum hero
They could do a lot worse  ;)

but seriously i don't think i heard about any of those films on the list, who does their marketing?

hopefully Bond tomorrow

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Me neither... There's an awful lot of dross that's get made.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The Martian was really good. Captured the book and the character - and the humour - well, albeit skipping some of the Mars bits and emphasising the Earth bits, which I think was necessary to make it a more palatable, pacy film.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Managed a double whammy of Harrelson stinkers last week; Seven Psycopaths and Zombieland. Both promising to start, but ultimately turds.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal