UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139424 times)

kelvin

• forum hero
I watched it in 2D Tom - I wasn't sure my brain could handle the extra. I thought it felt like a rehash of the first film, certainly watchable but not engaging.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
I watched it in 2D Tom - I wasn't sure my brain could handle the extra. I thought it felt like a rehash of the first film, certainly watchable but not engaging.

I agree with this. I watched it (2D) and vaguely enjoyed it, but it was a silly sort of 'monster movie' really. Weak compared to the original Jurassic Park, which I think is a decent action/thriller with a clever premise.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Watched the minions movie. Laughed all the way through it but came out and thought it was crap. Its funny but not a classic. wait for the dvd
Also some quite adult themes and would be very scary for younger children in places.

tomtom

• forum hero

I agree with this. I watched it (2D) and vaguely enjoyed it, but it was a silly sort of 'monster movie' really. Weak compared to the original Jurassic Park, which I think is a decent action/thriller with a clever premise.

Yeah - I think the latest one was a bit of a missed opportunity - as there were some themes they could have explored that would have made it more interesting - esp around the morality of big business and the need for the modern consumer to be continually pleased. It touched on many of these - but never went anywhere. The characters were all a bit weak too- somethings going wrong when one of the velociraptors has more character development than some of the cast :D

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Watched the minions movie. Laughed all the way through it but came out and thought it was crap. Its funny but not a classic. wait for the dvd
Also some quite adult themes and would be very scary for younger children in places.

I took my two to see it on Saturday. Felt pretty much the same as you. Laughed a lot during it, but didn't think it was as good as Despicable Me. Oh and my two (seven and eight) weren't bothered by the adult humour/themes.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
I watched Rush last night and thought it was brilliant. I don't know anything about/ watch F1 and was quite gripped throughout. Also being completely unaware of who Niki Lauda and James Hunt were meant there were no spoilers. The resemblance between the actors and real characters is remarkable! Also lots of pretty ladies  :wub:

+1 for Whiplash Absolutely amazing. Best film I've seen in a long time. The hospital scene in Rush and the post crash drum playing in Whiplash show the sheer determination these people have to do what it takes.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Prof and others have already covered Boyhood so I won't go into details but it's absolutely brilliant.  An amazing film and achievement from all involved.  Well worth renting.

Gallant

• player
Just got back in from watching Slow West - standard western fare really, but really well done. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the ending. Would recommend people catching it as I don't think it's likely to be being shown on the larger screen for much longer. It'd still be well worth a watch in your home too though I reckon.

Finally watched Mad Max last weekend too, which was a cracking late evening watching, seeing in 2D definitely seemed like the best bet too, I'd halfway forgotten that films just look brighter without those glasses wrapped around my face.

galpinos

• forum hero
Foxcatcher

Wrestling movie (kind of – bigger themes than just men in spandex hugging each other) about John du Pont (of DuPont fame) and the Shultz brothers.

First off, if you don’t know the story, don’t google it.

Secondly, the acting is great. Steve Carell (I’m not a fan usually) is unrecognisable and brings a really edgy and disturbed feel to his character. Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo both put in incredible physical performances, the awkward simian movement when not wrestling and the balletic training sessions are ace.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
A few years ago, when I lived in the UAE, an Iranian film, A Separation.....excellent film........ but tightly-edited and doesn't drag at all. Also a really great window into modern Iran.

And for UK ukb'ers it's on Film4 this week - on Wednesday 22nd July at 01:25 hrs

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Force Majeure Scandanavian hit at Cannes.  A family take a short break skiing and on day two are confronted but unharmed by a massive Avalanche.  The trauma exposes  cracks in their relationships that propagate over the rest of the week.  Really great and quite funny in places.  Well worth a watch.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Saw Eden last night and enjoyed it though it's not for everyone. Chugs along well enough. No plot to speak of bar girlfriends come and go. And it goes on a bit. Daft Punk can act, unlike all the americans in it (you can see the funding trail). The frenchies look very french and the tunes are good. Absolutely no need to explain the melancholy/euphoria thing.

The moment when daft punk play their first track could have easily gone kids from fame...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched this the other night.......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3416742/

Very funny.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Force Majeure Scandanavian hit at Cannes.  A family take a short break skiing and on day two are confronted but unharmed by a massive Avalanche.  The trauma exposes  cracks in their relationships that propagate over the rest of the week.  Really great and quite funny in places.  Well worth a watch.

Yep, alao enjoyed this. As mentioned above, Slow West was great.

kelvin

• forum hero
Seen a few lately but Age of Aveline stood out - just a great movie.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Muscle Shoal

I'll premise this by saying I'm not that big on early rock & roll (not as in I don;t like it, more that I'm not that clued up on the history). SO I've no idea how well known the story is.

Anyway, aside from the strange an unnecessary inclusion of Bono, this was a well made, interesting and enlightening retrospective into the early days of US rock n roll based around the city of Muscle Shoals, FAMNE studios and Rick Hall the producer. Aretha Franklyin, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger all star, nwa d old footage.

Great stuff.

a dense loner

• forum hero
It's great. Particularly the backing singer who screams rape, murder

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
Seen a few lately but Age of Aveline stood out - just a great movie.

I've got to say, I watched this film after reading this and it was utter tripe!!! I'd heard Harrisson Ford was in it and waiting for him to turn up was the only reason I didn't turn it of inside the first 30 mins. Granted he does improve proceeding but it wasn't very good on the whole.

In other film news, I saw Deep Web a film about the Silk Road which was mind bending. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was also brilliant if you like an Iranian vampire film with some sort of David Lynch, James Dean and early Jim Jarmusch vibe to it.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Muscle Shoal

This is Storyville, right?
If so, I remember it being excellent. I've yet to watch a Storyville that isn't captivating. Set is for series record on BBC 4 or wait for it on Netflix

Gallant

• player
Recent watches:
Antman - usual Marvel fare, bit of a shame really as there are hints of goodness in the script leftover from Wright, instead it's part that, chunk 'witty' one liners.

Diary of a teenage girl - bit of an odd one, watchable, though potentially aimed at a teen audience. I've a feeling the 18 certificate due to strong sex has hindered how well it's done as a film, which is a bit of a shame as it's far more realistic of teenage life than any teenage film that springs to mind.

Me, Earl and the Dying Girl - rather funny, well shot, a few hilarious pastiches to some classics of cinema, but also quite heartfelt. The closest I've come to crying since I was 13 in fact, which was strange. However, I've heard other people tell me they hated it, so obviously other opinions are available.

The man from U.N.C.L.E - stylish espionage type fare, with dollops of action interspersed between some good play between characters. Not one you need to take your brain in to appreciate, but certainly an enjoyable watch.

tomtom

• forum hero
Give it a month or two then watch it again. It'll make loads more sense then.

I watched it in the cinema with a fucked back - then online a few months later and it all came together.

a dense loner

• forum hero
You probably watched Into Stella on redtube the second time around tom tom that's why it made more sense

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Legend - mrs was keen to see a Krays film and its her first trip to the pictures in ages I didn't argue.  She loved it and I thought it stylish / Americanised gangster film but very watchable.  The only issue I had was seeing Tom Hardy become Alan Partridge for Reggie Kray. A bit meh but ok. 7/10

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Macbeth : Magnificent.  What an incredible film.  Absolutely fantastic in every way.

Gallant

• player
Legend - eh, dragged a little bit for my liking, and as ti_pin_man said, very stylised and Americanised, almost to the point of making Hardy's characters caricatures. It was still watchable, but I think it could have been handled a fair bit better.

The Martian - really enjoyed this, comparable to many space based films in recent years, though without the ridiculous time travel, are they dead aren't they dead, alternate dimension bits. Doesn't require a lot of thought to watch, which was perfect after a fairly awful day at work.

Macbeth - exceptionally pretty scenery, brilliantly acted, and left me feeling fairly drained, though not in a bad way. Still not certain I would actively watch it again though, other than potentially as a reference for a child studying it at school given its sticking to the play's manuscript (word for word if my memory of school life serves me correctly)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal