UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139249 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm a sucker for Liam Neeson in Taken and Taken2 so watched "Non-Stop" last night.  A completely ridiculous plane hijack tale.  It's really daft but great.

Watched this last night. Top notch daftness!

Excellent - I'll book this in for next time MrsTT is out with the ladies...

mark20

• junky
I've been waiting so long to watch a good film lately, I'd say the closest was Gone Girl and Nightcrawler wasn't bad either. Keep the suggestions coming!
Watched Gone Girl the other night, despite it sounding a bit dull and long I was hooked. Very good, one of the better films I've seen recently. If you like a good kidnapping film then Prisoners is worth a watch, dark and gripping

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Inherent Vice? I like a good stoner noir, liked Boogie Nights and even liked the book though I'm not into Pynchon; 5* in the Guardian and it's off to the Everyman...

I'd give it a low three stars. It strikes me as a very straight rendition of the book, which in turn is as straight as Pynchon's ever got (not very straight.) A mix of hippie LA, when counter culture hadn't obviously passed high water, Vietnam, vs straight America. Nixon in the mix. I should have liked it more that I did, but I guess it tonks merrily enough along. Haven't heard so many people speaking as though trying not to exhale since I lived on Harcourt Rd. However, my wife would like the two and a half hours of her life back as she hadn't a clue what was going on (two hours would be fairer, as she was having a lovely kip for at least half an hour).

I thought similar and I'm a big Pynchon fan.  It's really funny iand has some great scenes and characters however it's just too complicated and all over the pace plot wise.  If he'd simplified the story a bit and tried to be less faithful to the book it would have made a better film IMHO.  My GF had the same experience as Mrs Johnx2 and I suspect others who haven't read the book will also.  Shame as it's a great performance from the cast and really well shot capturing that early 70s era perfectly.  Three Stars.

a dense loner

• forum hero
I saw that mark20 enjoyed prisoners, I wanted to enjoy it since I liked the actors but I turned it off after an hr and didn't give it another thought  :(

cha1n

• forum hero
Watched Interstellar last night. It was OK but nothing of note, the twist with Matt Damon was probably the best bit but that was a very short part of the film. It seems that people are giving out high votes on IMDB for nothing nowadays... Stayed up until 1am watching it and now I'm tired in work. :(

DubDom

• menacing presence
Did Anyone see Fury? is it worth a watch?

Plattsy

• forum hero
Watched Wild the other day. Really enjoyed it. Similar to the The Walk. True story of a woman coming to terms with grief and addiction by going for a bloody long walk.

Prisoners is worth another go Dense. I can see why you turned it off. It does get better in the second half.

Others to consider.
Short Term 12
The Raid (and probably The Raid 2 but I haven't seen that yet)
Dead Mans Shoes (not so recent but very good)
Blue Jasmine
Stoker

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Watched Kingsman over the weekend. Good fun, ott gore and fast paced, slightly silly action.

Also wanted to big up Community (available on Netflix I think) watched the first three seasons and it's absolutely fantastic. Bought the first season as a Christmas gifts for several relatives and they've all come back asking to borrow season 2. Well worth a watch! 

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
watched Wolf Of Wall Street last night, pile of poo.  sure there were a few funny bits and some T&A but it lacked credible story and 3 hours?  C'mon guys.  Shite.

remus

• forum hero

Saw it the other day. Worth a watch but don't expect to come out questioning your moral foundations. Similar vibe to Saving Private Ryan but not as good.

haydn jones

• forum hero
Watched Interstellar last night. It was OK but nothing of note, the twist with Matt Damon was probably the best bit but that was a very short part of the film. It seems that people are giving out high votes on IMDB for nothing nowadays... Stayed up until 1am watching it and now I'm tired in work. :(
Same thought it was just average.  Finally found a decent copy last night too. :p

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
watched Wolf Of Wall Street last night, pile of poo.  sure there were a few funny bits and some T&A but it lacked credible story and 3 hours?  C'mon guys.  Shite.

Isn't it based on a true story?

On another note watched ex machina the other day, thought it was pretty good although the science in it was not particularly accurate (what film is), but it wasn't to significant to detract from the movie.
All in all I'd say maybe 4 stars.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Quote from: Dexter
watched ex machina the other day

Quite psyched to see this, cheers!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

If you want to be bombarded for 2 hours and come out with a thousand yard stare and feeling a little shell shocked, then aye. If you want more than 10 minutes of "story" in the middle, then....no!

cha1n

• forum hero
Just finished watching Whiplash. It was decent.

Didn't mess about too much with story lines and gets straight in there. Strangely enough it makes me want to start training for climbing...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Lord I thought ex machina, fury, and whiplash all looked absolutely terrible

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

Agreed - I was quite keen to watch it and I didn't enjoy it at all.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
On another note watched ex machina the other day, thought it was pretty good although the science in it was not particularly accurate (what film is), but it wasn't to significant to detract from the movie.
All in all I'd say maybe 4 stars.

A decent story is always more crucial than accurate science to an enjoyable film surely? I thought Ex Machina was good, though really more of a horror movie structurally than a scifi. I thought it was effectively malevolent and dramatic, and not much of what i expected. If the 4 stars was out of 5 I'd probably agree, maybe 3.8!

Stubbs

Just a heads up that Zero Dark Thirty has been added to Netflix.  I didn't see it at the time, and thought it is well worth watching.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Who was it who recommended Predestination on here? Or was it even on here? Hmmm.

Anyway, I liked it. I have a bad habit of just sitting back and enjoying films rather than trying to work out all the complexities and plot twists, so obviously it confused the fuck out of me, but I kinda get most of it and it was intriguing and nicely done and not really what, nor how, I expected.

kelvin

• forum hero
Who was it who recommended Predestination on here? Or was it even on here? Hmmm.

Anyway, I liked it. I have a bad habit of just sitting back and enjoying films rather than trying to work out all the complexities and plot twists, so obviously it confused the fuck out of me, but I kinda get most of it and it was intriguing and nicely done and not really what, nor how, I expected.
That'd be me I think - definitely worth a watch.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Gone girl- I didn't know films could get so bad, I wanted to turn it off the whole time. The plots decent, I even thought Ben Affleck was ok in it. But the actress? Wtf? Awful. 2 mediocre actors would have made this a much better film. Awful.
Then I watched Silver linings playbook, which I expected to hate but really enjoyed

nik at work

• forum hero
The wife went to see 50 shades of grey last night and when she got home didn't insist I tie her up and anally fist her so I assume it's shit...

Doylo

• forum hero
Gone girl- I didn't know films could get so bad, I wanted to turn it off the whole time. The plots decent, I even thought Ben Affleck was ok in it. But the actress? Wtf? Awful. 2 mediocre actors would have made this a much better film. Awful.

Watched this last night . Just seemed like a normal marriage to me?  :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Thought that about certain aspects from book.

Watched The Road on Saturday night. Holy shit, one depressing movie.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal