UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139516 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Tempted by that.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
On my watch list...

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Streamed The Interview this evening with son #1 after son #2 had gone to bed. Leaving aside all the controversy (plus the distracting detail for me that the outdoor scenes were almost all filmed in very recognisable areas a few km south of Squamish), I didn't think it was that great. Stylistically it drifts awkwardly between pure slapstick comedy and very-slightly-serious satire, not really nailing either.

I'd sort of agree, it didn't really know if it was Austin Powers or James Bond.  It fell in a bit of a hole in-between the two.   

Its not unwatchable but it isn't a must see.  Oh and the swearing was a bit OTT. 

As for the politics, I'm glad it is out in the public domain.  I don't think it changed or helped shape an opinion on North Korea.  Neither good nor bad.  The press is a storm in a teacup.

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
Birdman - Ace.

Very much so.

But then I particularly like films about people in rooms in New York talking to each other, provided romance isn't the main focus. A worthy genre. (On which basis Birdman had a couple too many ingredients. See also that last Cohen bros film, which I think was when I last posted on this thread.) 

T_B

• forum hero
I saw Birdman last night and at times wasn't sure if I was enjoying it or not. There's so much going on that I found it a bit disorientating. It seemed better in retrospect, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Edward Norton is outstanding.

We went to the new Curzon cinema in Sheffield that opened last Friday. I hope the city can support something like this - £12 a ticket, plus expensive city centre parking (£9 for 3 hours in the NCP) and average bottled lager for £4. Nice decor.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Under the Skin might be amazing but also possibly rubbish. Not sure yet, still thinking about it. Whatever it's the strangest film I've seen in a while. Beautifully shot. Cleverly made (don't read up on it too much if you are going to see it)

Watched this far too late on monday night and couldn't stop watching, really really weird. Did I enjoy it? I don't know but i'll be watching it again. Never viewing this anything other than sober.

A very different film. The bit with the **** ******* and the **** *****, that was mental.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Did I enjoy it? I don't know but i'll be watching it again.
:lol: I feel the same, quite a bit of  :wub: with a big proportion of  :shrug:

A very different film. The bit with the **** ******* and the **** *****, that was mental.
Too cryptic for me, PM me, you could be referring to half the film!

hstmoore

• player
- £12 a ticket, plus expensive city centre parking (£9 for 3 hours in the NCP) and average bottled lager for £4. Nice decor.

Just bought two tickets for tonight at Curzon Sheffield. They don't do orange Wednesdays so that's £18 for two student tickets. Would've been £5.90 for both tickets at Showroom  :jaw:. Won't be going to Curzon again.

On the plus side, got seats E4 and E5, so that bodes well for the weekend.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 03:57:19 pm by hstmoore »

tomtom

• forum hero
We went to the new Curzon cinema in Sheffield that opened last Friday. I hope the city can support something like this - £12 a ticket, plus expensive city centre parking (£9 for 3 hours in the NCP) and average bottled lager for £4. Nice decor.

Oof... I am continually diappointed by the multiplexes.... here in Manc, the AMC in town is 'only' £7.50 - but dirty, ripped seats, overpriced shite food... The Cineworld in Parrswood is similarly priced, shit and with the added bonus of more scrotes...

Wood FT

• forum hero
Where's this Curzon place? what do you get for your £12 apart from a lighter wallet and a sore arse cheeks? I can get that down Attercliffe.

T_B

• forum hero
Where's this Curzon place? what do you get for your £12 apart from a lighter wallet and a sore arse cheeks? I can get that down Attercliffe.

http://www.curzoncinemas.com/cinemas/sheffield/

Wood FT

• forum hero
ta, i'll stick with the showroom

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Over the New Year I watched The Hobbit at The Plaza in Skipton. Enjoyed the experience of a 1920 picture house (sat in the Dress Stalls) more than the film itself.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The Curzon have a fantastic 'on demand' catalogue of art house flicks online.  It's my favourite cinema in London and there's a petition to stop the Soho one getting redeveloped.

As for Birdman, it's the (cleverly worked) continuous tracking shot throughout that I found disorientating.  Cinematically very impressive of course but I think we're used to at least a few scene cuts to take a breath and mentally figure out where we are.  At one point about forty minutes in I was thinking "this is still one long shot," and had half my attention on my watch watching for a cut-scene change 'til I figured out that it wasn't going to happen.  Still a great movie from a great filmmaker...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Battleship - shite. But entertaining shite.

T_B

• forum hero

As for Birdman, it's the (cleverly worked) continuous tracking shot throughout that I found disorientating. 

Yes, agreed, but also the sound. Those drums! I'm a bit deaf and struggled to hear the dialogue at times over the sound of the drumming. But it was pretty cool later on in the film when the camera pokes into that practice room and you see the guy at work.

Doylo

• forum hero
Taken 3,pretty watchable, what you'd expect really.  First one is still the best by far.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Don't ever be tempted to watch a film called Getaway, got Ethan Hawke in it.

It's bad, and I do mean bad  :shit:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Amen to that..... it's fantastic the way that it evolves.  The early episodes had me thinking it would be a slightly twee fish-out-of-water / odd couple sitcom.  But it darkens and deepens in a wonderful manner: the good-man-forced-to-do-bad-things becomes a bad, albeit complicated, man ("I am the one who knocks!"); whilst Jesse goes from goofy comic sidekick to the (flawed) moral centre.   Breaking Bad and Mad Men, for me are, the two great post-Wire dramas. 

Agree as well that right now, even the more disposable boxset dramas are more appetising than films at the moment.  That is not necessarily a knock on the quality of contemporary film making, more that 2hrs for a film just seems an awful long time to pay attention when I'm tired from work (too much internet browsing has killed my attention span); 50min episodes, even when watched in batches of two or three, just seem more digestible. Good value too - a full season of 13 or so episodes for around £15 to keep, compared to £4-5 for a film for two nights.  Currently enjoying season two of House of Cards - silly but it's a chance to see Kevin Spacy chewing the scenery with relish.  Next up, season 6 of Mad Men (and I think I've got a few seasons of Sons of Anarchy - a bit of a guilty pleasure - to catch up on too)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Bad Grandpa is highly wrong but I haven't laughed so hard in ages. The kid in it is amazing. Don't be put off by the 'Jackass presents...' I was never a fan of the show, but thought this was great.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:06:29 am by Obi-Wan is lost... »

tomtom

• forum hero
Slightly off-topic: I don't usually watch any TV but Netflix offered a free month at Christmas so I got the chance to binge-watch all of Breaking Bad over about three weeks. I thought it totally lived up to the hype. If anyone hasn't seen it - unlikely I know - I'd recommend it over most of the films I have seen over the last decade or two.

Game of Thrones next then... First series is a little Sean Beany meh, but thereafter.... I really didnt think it was up my street - but it was....

Lopez

• stalker
... or The Walking Dead. Bit of a downer the 2nd season, but after that it keeps getting better and better.

Doylo

• forum hero
Breaking Bad was brilliant especially seasons 4 and 5. Sons of Anarchy is good too, sucking me in at the mo.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched Mediterraneo on DVD last night for the second time.  It's a really warm, funny ant-war film from the early nineties about a bunch of Italian soldiers who get marooned on a Greek Island during the Second World War.  Cut off from the outside world they integrate into the local community and along the way question the stupidity of war.  It's great.

On a series tip, then I can second votes for Game of Thrones & SOA.  I'd also add Braquo (French cop thriller) and Gomorrah which we've talked about already.

205Chris

• forum hero
On a series tip, then I can second votes for Game of Thrones & SOA.  I'd also add Braquo (French cop thriller) and Gomorrah which we've talked about already.

After Game of Thrones & Homeland I was on the lookout for a new series to start.

I've watched the first three episodes of Braquo now and it's the best thing I've seen in ages.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal