UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139614 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I watched Silver Linings Playbook on the weekend - passable enough but felt a bit too safe and formulaic to really grab me.

And de Niro looked as if he was coasting, as he does in most of his recent movies.

Do I expect too much from movies these days btw. Can't recall last time I saw a film and went "fuck me that was brilliant". Am I getting too old and jaded and hope for too much from a film? Seen maybe half a dozen in the last few years I've thought of as brilliant.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Seen recently:

The Adjustment Bureau - On tv the other night, thought it was pretty good. Of the genre (messing with reality) Looper is worse and Source Code is much much better.

Despicable Me - Watched the first one with the sprog. Enjoyed it and he thought it was "one of the best films ever".

Killing Them Softly - Brad Pitt sent in to sort out the local criminal economy which has collapsed after a card game gets robbed. Set against the financial meltdown and 2008 US election it's nasty, dark, violent, funny and I really liked it. The parallel being drawn is obvious but it works.

Half Nelson - Ryan Gosling as a history techer in an inner city school who tries to keep it together while getting deeper and deeper into a crack habit. Could have got horribly sentimental and or moralistic but didn't. Decent.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

I give it a year worth watching if only to see Rose Byne looking smokingly hot. Steven Merchant provides the biggest laughs, but he's not in it much, kind of off-beat rom-com. Good sunday night viewing.

Watched 'Shes out of my league' which similarly was must better than expected. I actually laughed out loud in parts. Also helped that Alice Eve is rather foxy.

No, Chris. A truly quality original movie is a rare thing now days.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Great piece that by Will Self, quite the visionary although I had to look-up 4 words to work out what he was seeing.

I could read him all day...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Great piece that by Will Self, quite the visionary although I had to look-up 4 words to work out what he was seeing.

I could read him all day...

You guys only had to look up 4 words?  Jeez high brow in this ere place, or wot?  ;)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
Watched Mud tonight and I'm now thinking this place is better than rotten tomatoes.  Smashing little film before the match goes on.   

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Here's the link. Well worth a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/09/hatchet-job-mark-kermode-review

And in parallel, referencing Self and Kermode, another great piece of Black Sky Thinking from the superb arts/music online 'zine The Quietus http://thequietus.com/articles/13597-simon-price-critic-will-self

The Quietus is a brilliant website y'all should visit.

weakdave

• forum abuser
  • Technically lacking
Watched Pain and gain last night. Based on a true story..... good film and funny too!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Can't recall last time I saw a film and went "fuck me that was brilliant". Am I getting too old and jaded and hope for too much from a film? Seen maybe half a dozen in the last few years I've thought of as brilliant.
Gravity is getting rave reviews, fingers crossed they are deserved. Out Nov8, one to catch in 3d on a big screen apparently.

tomtom

• forum hero
Here's the link. Well worth a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/09/hatchet-job-mark-kermode-review

I have to say - I got 30% through reading this and gave up. It felt like some sort of circlewanking review of reviewers reviewing. I am probably missing something (like the last 70%!!) but it felt like Self was just as guilty/culpable of the criticisms that he levelled at Kermode - or was that the point in some sort of post modern way?

Shit, I feel like a school kid who's trying to bullshit their English Lit lesson having only read half of a book ;)

I'll get my coat.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Can't recall last time I saw a film and went "fuck me that was brilliant". Am I getting too old and jaded and hope for too much from a film? Seen maybe half a dozen in the last few years I've thought of as brilliant.
Gravity is getting rave reviews, fingers crossed they are deserved. Out Nov8, one to catch in 3d on a big screen apparently.

Take the science with a big pinch of salt.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Take the science with a big pinch of salt.

yeah but he still liked it... :popcorn:
My Tweets hardly ever convey opinion. Mostly perspectives on the world. But if you must know, I enjoyed #Gravity very much.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
No doubt already mentioned, as I've seen it on lovefilm, so must have Been out for ages....

But Sightseers is something rather special. It's a wonderful play of insanity, which has many " bloody hell, I didn't see that coming" moments. The violence is so high quality I even squirmed.

I think I might watch it again.

Wood FT

• forum hero
saw 'Rush' on Monday night, cracking story based on the famous rivalry of F1 drivers James Hunt & Nikki Lauder.

Neither myself or the girlfriend are into cars much but we really enjoyed it, recommended (if only for the noise of those old F1 cars, sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet)

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
am still catching up on the films I've missed and watched World War Z last night and thought it was entertaining, about a 7.5 out of 10.  Had sort of I am Legend overtones but enjoyed it and no I havent read the book.     

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched the RZA's 'Man with the Iron Fists' last night.  Clearly a tribute to the Kung Fu movies he loves so it's as daft as a brush but still really entertaining.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw 'Wee Man' on a certain on demand service yesterday...

Superb. Grisly but great acting, great story.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Sounds like a piss take to me.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Recently watched:

Bernie - True story done partly in mocumentary style with Jack Black back on top form (most of his recent films have looked total dogshit). Really good.

This Is 40 - Been wondering to bother with this for ages as I thought Knocked Up was pretty crap however, glad I did as it's much much better. Maybe just because of my/our age but a lot of the relationship issues rang painfully true (albeit x 1000 in their case!) but aside from this it's actually very funny too.

psychomansam

• forum hero
The selfish giant.

Cap'n Phyllis may be the best hollywood manages to churn out this year (it's good but should have been better), but I'd take this low-budget brit-flick over it any day.

Nah fock off yu pikey bastard

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The selfish giant

Saw Kermode review this the other night and it looked good.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
The selfish giant.

Saw this last night in an almost empty cinema, it is absolutely amazing, the film of the year for me.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Watched The Hunt last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

One of the best. Gut-wrenching and believable.

Have this on my Watchlist at the moment. Hopefully will get round to watching it one evening this week.

Finally got round to watching this last week. Really good film, great portrayal about how a few innocent yet foolish words can turn a whole community. Really felt for the lead character. Well worth a viewing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal