UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139753 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Definitely not as bad as After Earth though!

Anyone watched World War Z? I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would although the 'solution' at the end was  :shit:

One of the best of its genre (for recent offerings) I thought... I loved the swarming effect!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Watched Oblivion, enjoyed it but nothing spectacular. Star Trek into Darkness was amazing, really well done.
Just shows how much is personal taste. Watched Star Trek. Thought it was utter nonsense.  Nearly turned it off. Never been much of Trekky. Thought Oblivion was far superior and bizarrely more realistic even with its massive plot holes which shows you just how ridiculous Star Trek is.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Last night I saw rush.brilliant film ,niki laudi came across really good at the end.worth watching,in the cinema it sounded like you were in the exhaust.

Mediocre at best for me. Pretty pictures, nice sounds, fuck all for content and depth of character. All rather cliched, formulaic and underwhelming. Fine as a  :popcorn: film  but I felt I could have used my time better

Teaboy

• forum hero
This recommendation comes with the warning that I am fairly low brow in my film tastes. Watched Whitehouse Down last night, thought it was brilliant. As good as (well it is the same film really!) as the original Die Hard. Didn't get bored even though it's 2:17 so good VFM as well.

Teaboy

• forum hero
Actually I forgot to say, good though the film was, the best part of the evening was the trailer for Bad Grandpa. The scene at the end of the trailer had us in stitches

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Anyone watched World War Z? I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would although the 'solution' at the end was  :shit:
One of the best of its genre (for recent offerings) I thought... I loved the swarming effect!
I LOVED the swarming too and the way the zombies behaved in general, their reckless abandon was brilliant, I thought the film overall was ok not amazing but better than I expected and very positive on the zombie front.  Having read the book I was expecting to hate it but actually I thought it did an alright job, and seeing Glasgow in the opening scenes (after having wandered around the set when it was here) had good novelty value.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
We watched The Place Beyond The Pines last night. Really good.

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are both excellent (as is Dane DeHaan who was in Chronicle) and as Mrs S said, every time Ray Liotta turns up in a film grinning you know things are going to get nasty.

Hard to write too much without spoiling it but it's definitely worth a watch.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
More evidence that you and I cannot ever go to the pictures together, Jasper.  :(  I thought Place Beyond the Pines was verging on Drive territory and didn't really like it.  :lol:

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
We watched The Place Beyond The Pines last night. Really good.

Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are both excellent (as is Dane DeHaan who was in Chronicle) and as Mrs S said, every time Ray Liotta turns up in a film grinning you know things are going to get nasty.

Hard to write too much without spoiling it but it's definitely worth a watch.

I really liked this. But then I also liked Drive.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :lol:

Yeah, not quite as good as Drive!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched this last night too.  Really good.

rich d

• forum hero
I LOVED the swarming too and the way the zombies behaved in general, their reckless abandon was brilliant, I thought the film overall was ok not amazing but better than I expected and very positive on the zombie front.  Having read the book I was expecting to hate it but actually I thought it did an alright job, and seeing Glasgow in the opening scenes (after having wandered around the set when it was here) had good novelty value.
I'm guessing that George Square is less scary in world war z that it is on a normal evening.

a dense loner

• forum hero
obi-wan do you kiss your mother with that mouth? star trek ridiculous, whatever next

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Here's a roundup of the films I watched with terrible headphones on a tiny little washed out screen. (i.e on the plane).

Lincoln
Dead Man Down
[can't remember the third one...]

Now You See Me
Silver Linings Playbook
Great Gatsby

So. Lincoln - despite the fact I could barely see a thing, and not knowing much about American history, I thought it was good. I should really go and find out how historically accurate it was. Daniel Day Lewis did a top job with the lead role as usual and all in I thought it was nicely paced and well shot.

Dead Man Down   :shit:  Lower than average Colin Farrel Muck.

Now You See Me - Watchable, good effects but characters clichéd and one dimensional. Enough twists and turns to give you a sore neck. Good in flight/date film but just don't expect too much from it.

Silver Linings Playbook Hmm, a difficult one. So, it explores the world of mental illness in an offbeat rom-com. It does it in a fairly light way (it's no heavy melodrama) but the plot is wholly predecitable...but I'm not sure if that matters? Characters: Bradley Cooper gets the job done but I wouldn't say amazingly, perhaps the character just annoyed me? Maybe I was jetlagged. Couldn't get my head around why he would wear a bin bag running if he wasn't still delusional?? Jennifer Lawrence - she plays it well, or maybe I just fancy her  :wub: but I thought she nailed her character. The mum was good, Robert Deniro as the Father was a little annoying - but once again that was maybe just the way he was directed rather than the actor. Maybe I just dislike superstitious delusional people  :shrug:

All in - quite engaging and watchable if maybe slightly awkward. Some laughs and warm moments.

Aaand finally The Great Gatsby. It all looked a little strange with the CGI but I think that was just a result of the tiny shitty screen. Was it better in the Cinema?  I have not read the book and did not know the story. It was quite long and slow, none of the characters had huge depth too them. I thought it was a mainly just glitz and glamour and that the main redeeming feature was the original plot. I presume the book is good? Might read it sometime.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Good Vibrations last night. Biopic of Terri Hooley who set up and ran a record shop and label in Belfast at the height of the troubles.

Really well done with a great performance in the lead role, lots of really funny moments and also admirably depicted his total obsession with the lifestyle at the expense of everything else.

Also recently saw The Look of Love with Alan Partridge Steve Coogan as Paul Raymond, the pr0n / nude show baron who became Britain's richest man after buying up most of Soho.

Actually a bit harsh on Coogan as the inevitable Partridge moments are kept to a minimum and he's very good. Interesting and I enjoyed it but it doesn't delve too deep.

Oh and I watched the first Iron Man the other night (I know, I know but I'm not really into superhero films) and thought it was totally stupid but really enjoyed it which presumably is the whole point.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Oh and I watched the first Iron Man the other night (I know, I know but I'm not really into superhero films) and thought it was totally stupid but really enjoyed it which presumably is the whole point.

:agree:

Watched this last night, was the perfect way to end the weekend. Totally stupid, over the top violence. Brilliant.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I really liked Iron man 3, I thought it was much better than the second one.  We watched The Angels' Share at the weekend and I agree with the people who posted and said it was good, it's was a really enjoyable film and I loved how true to life the dialect was in most of it. :lol:

I'm guessing that George Square is less scary in world war z that it is on a normal evening.
Definitely.  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
Filth. Good. Not mega but worth the fee :)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Blue Jasmine. The gf mocked me for picking a girly film...

It's pretty good, but the rave reviews raised my expectations a bit high.

Interestingly, the gf didn't sympathise with the main character. I did, by the end, and thus found it a bit cruel and hollow.

Not Woody's best, but better than some of his recent shite.

petejh

• forum hero
Watched The Hunt last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

One of the best. Gut-wrenching and believable.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
That looks really good Pete.  Hadn't heard of it until today.... Will seek out, hopefully at a Cinema.

Incidentally there's a great (somewhat negative) review of Kemode's book in the Guardian yesterday.

petejh

• forum hero
Great piece that by Will Self, quite the visionary although I had to look-up 4 words to work out what he was seeing.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
I was looking for a film last night and didnt fancy any of the new releases and remembered this thread, checked out a couple of the latest recommendations and chose The place beyond the pines.  What a great little film, really enjoyed it.  Just wanted to say thanks for whoever recommended the film and whoever created the thread in the first place.   :great:  Next time I need a film I'll be back to choose another.  Well done guys! 

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Watched The Hunt last night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

One of the best. Gut-wrenching and believable.

Have this on my Watchlist at the moment. Hopefully will get round to watching it one evening this week.

Durbs

• forum hero
Caught up with the LoveFilm backlog recently

End of Watch Pretty good for what it was, interesting "documentary style" footage (although oddly this isn't always maintained and you have a mystery third cameraman quite a lot of the time, good characters, slightly throwaway plot, but wins overal with the 2 leads' bond.

I give it a year worth watching if only to see Rose Byne looking smokingly hot. Steven Merchant provides the biggest laughs, but he's not in it much, kind of off-beat rom-com. Good sunday night viewing.

X-men: First Class Meh. Passed the time. Not that I'm a violence junkie, but just felt too tame. When dealing with quite dark subjects (Nazis, genetic mutation etc.) just felt the kiddy level of violence doesn't quite pair up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal