UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139155 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Margin Call last night and thought it was very good. Fantastic cast and an interesting look at how it probably was inside plenty of investment banks when they realised the shit was about to hit the fan.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
All that said, it's still a good movie. Unlike Black Hawk Down, which is stunningly directed and shot, but unbearable.

Why do you find it unbearable? I found it very hard to watch as it feels incredibly claustrophobic.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Watched End of Watch at the weekend, I thought it was brilliant, like what everyone claimed Drive was; character driven, great soundtrack, interesting cinematic style and a good story to boot.  I was really impressed with it.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
All that said, it's still a good movie. Unlike Black Hawk Down, which is stunningly directed and shot, but unbearable.
Why do you find it unbearable? I found it very hard to watch as it feels incredibly claustrophobic.

I hated Ridley Scott's plundering a a giant US foreign policy f*ck up for a narrative, to try and make another Aliens. I thought it was a great action film - but for the fact that it related to relatively recent events, which it misrepresented. I agree that it is claustrophobic and powerful, I just found it very annoying.

Although possibly part of my annoyance is how good i think Aliens is as a war movie, and wanted to see something else as good, which it wasn't. Anyway, end of rant! ;-)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched End of Watch at the weekend, I thought it was brilliant, like what everyone claimed Drive was; character driven, great soundtrack, interesting cinematic style and a good story to boot.  I was really impressed with it.

Saw the trailer for this the other day and thought it looked really good. I'll not let your recommendation put me off.......

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
  The Sweeney.  Great!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
This isn't a good film I've seen lately (in every possible sense) but I cannot believe I haven't heard of this before:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/video/2012/dec/13/pacific-rim-trailer-video

Looks like the most brilliantly stupid film ever - a big budget re-make of Godzilla Versus Mecha-Godzilla.  Any film where someone shouts "today we are CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE!!!" has to be good.  I just hope it lives up to the likes of Deep Blue Sea (the one with LL Cool J - not the Terrance Rattigan play - though that is good, albeit with a distinct lack of creatures).

SA Chris

• forum hero
Aye, I meant "Animal Kingdom".  Great film. 

Watche this on the weekend, thought it was fantastic. All characters brilliantly portrayed. I noticed it's on Film 4 on NYE, worth setting the box to record.

csl

• junky
Django Unchained

Absolutely brilliant. Violent and funny. Christoph Waltz is great in it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
Just watched "Steep" a doumentary about big mountain skiing. A few years old, but some great old school footage, including some Blizzard of Aaaahs clips. Well worth watching.

Also got round to watching TT:Close to the Edge, even though I am no pertolhead I found this to be fascinating and a great watch. Thanks for the recommendations.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Django Unchained

Absolutely brilliant.

German release is next week. I'm excited about it.

(I'm not going to see the dubbed version, but they also delay release of the original version so as not to cannibalise the market. Irritating  but there you go - I choose to live abroad and such minor irritations are part of the deal)

OffshoreAndy

• regular
Berberian Sound Studio - looking forward to seeing this. think its out on dvd soon.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Django Unchained

Absolutely brilliant. Violent and funny. Christoph Waltz is great in it!

Can't wait for this to come out  :popcorn:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Just watched "Steep" a doumentary about big mountain skiing. A few years old, but some great old school footage, including some Blizzard of Aaaahs clips. Well worth watching.

Also got round to watching TT:Close to the Edge, even though I am no pertolhead I found this to be fascinating and a great watch. Thanks for the recommendations.

Chris, I "lost my copy" of steep - do you have a copy you could send me?

tomtom

• forum hero
In the course of Building up climbing credits with mrsTT will see me watching Les Mis this weekend... I shall dutifully report back if I'm capable...

SA Chris

• forum hero

Chris, I "lost my copy" of steep - do you have a copy you could send me?

Sorry streamed it on lovefilm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Forgot to mention that amongst the cartoons, kids films and the awesome Muppet Christmas Carol which I watched over the festive period I also watched Too Big To Fail. Absolutely brilliant.

tomtom

• forum hero
In the course of Building up climbing credits with mrsTT will see me watching Les Mis this weekend... I shall dutifully report back if I'm capable...

Fuck me that was painful. Sitting in the cinema for three hours after a monster day at Baslow was hard.. I ache all over. That aside the film is pretty good. I mean there's no car chases, jiggy scenes or spaceships (usual good film criteria in my world) and everyone sang shit instead of talking - but I've seen worse. Overall, perfectly bearable if dragged along, but make sure you get bonus brownie points for going.. ;)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
An old-ish one, but BRICK is really good, witty and nicely shot, with a simple, intruiging plot and some really memorable use of sound. Rian Johnson (director of the recent Looper) seems to make really interesting films. This is probably artistically superior to Looper, but with far fewer guns and gadgets, not quite as untaxingly entertaining. If you're in the right mood (ie not totally knackered) then watch it.

galpinos

• forum hero
Overall, perfectly bearable if dragged along, but make sure you get bonus brownie points for going.. ;)

I really enjoyed it. Yes, some of the male leads singing is a bit ropey and Russell Crowe is a twat (by far the worst performance from the cast) but all in all, very good. I thought Anne Hathaway, someone who has always left me feeling cold and unconvinced, was fantastic. Her singing, "I Dreamed a Dream" was pretty full-on emotional.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I saw Django Unchained at the weekend, it's is indeed fantastic.  I wasn't expecting much since it was sold to me as a Western but I loved it, definitely worth a watch.

I also saw Silver Linings Playbook which was good too, funny and a bit different for a RomCom.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Got 'The Imposter' on Lovefilm after the recommendations on here. Well worth a watch.

Watching the 'speed dreams' on BBC2 reminded me of 'World Fastest Indian' which I may have recommended previously, but still worth a  watch/rewatch. Also highlighted quite what an achievement his 1967 record was, it still stands.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Got 'The Imposter' on Lovefilm after the recommendations on here. Well worth a watch.

Did you know anything about it before hand? We didn't and I'm glad. So much more intriguing.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Did you know anything about it before hand? We didn't and I'm glad. So much more intriguing.

Only what was written on the disk. I agree, don't read up on it before watching. A very strange story.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
We watched that a while ago too, I agree it would have been better not knowing the story, sadly someone decided to explain it all to me before he put it on. :lol:  Still good though, weird but good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal