UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139431 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

21 Jump Street was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, the cameos were good.   :)

WHAT THE FUCK???!!! Maybe I'd had too much to drink and it was actually shit.  :P ;)
  >:(

I really want to see Looper.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Enjoyed Hugo, watched it with the kids on a wet Sunday afternoon. Nice to watch a 'U' film that was watchable for all ages. Beautifully made.

Got around to watching Copland the other day. Good film, if a little formulaic, basically a gangster movie where the cops are playing the gangsters.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I really want to see Looper.

Do it, it's great.

TobyD

• forum hero
Killing Them Softly

Enjoyable, but not a relaxing watch, and a difficult movie to 'like' (although it does have moments of comedy). It is extremely political, although I'm not sure it really nails any colors to the mast in this respect - just an entrenched and relentless cynicism about American politics, elections ideals and economy. The juxtaposition of Bush / Obama debates about economic affairs and the crime business in the foreground is amusing, though a bit more subtlety would have made it more effective, i thought. The main appeal is the dialogue, especially Brad Pitt's final line, which is the last line of the film "America is not a country, it's a business. Now F***ing pay me." (it sounds better in context, believe me!)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Looper - brilliant film, slower paced and more emotive and thoughtful than the trailer, a good balance of story, concept and action.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Would prefer a link in to the IMDB page rather than bold titles of the film.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Would prefer a link in to the IMDB page rather than bold titles of the film.  ;)

Just fixed that for you.. ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched Kill List.  Really good.  Especially the girl from Phone Shop.

Duma

• forum hero
*shudder*

watched that on a night shift recently, had never heard of it before - certainly didn't turn out to be the mindless guy ritchie type of thing that I think we expected!

Anyone else excited to see Beasts of the Southern Wild? sounds ace.

Stubbs

one of my friends said Kill List was one of the most harrowing films he'd watched and certainly didn't recommend it!

Duma

• forum hero
indeed, try it at 5am...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Mark Herbet (Dead Man's Shoes, This is England, Four Lions etc) Sheffield resident and mate of GME was the exec producer.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
The Spiderman thingy, on the plane to Baku. Meh. Watchable, liked both the spiderman and his interest characters. Story was fairly predictable. Not awful bit not remotely special.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Just got two tickets for Warp films 10th Anniversary.  Screening of Dead Mans Shoes with live score by Unkle and Jah Wobble. 

http://warp.net/films/dead-mans-shoes/live-rescore-event-announced

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Mark Herbet (Dead Man's Shoes, This is England, Four Lions etc) Sheffield resident and mate of GME was the exec producer.

He was interviewed on Kermode & Mayo - seemed a lovely bloke - enthusiastic and dedicated to making great films without any venal compromises. Some exciting news for lovers of British drama and the Tour de France too.  Warp and Shane Meadows have optioned the Tom Simpson biography "Put Me Back On My Bike" - seems Meadows is a huge cycling fan.  I hope it's a success and they option The Death of Marco Pantani too - I think it would make a great rise and fall drama (my minds eye conjures a mash up of Raging Bull and the coke-head desperation section of Boogie Nights).

rich d

• forum hero

He was interviewed on Kermode & Mayo - seemed a lovely bloke - enthusiastic and dedicated to making great films without any venal compromises. Some exciting news for lovers of British drama and the Tour de France too.  Warp and Shane Meadows have optioned the Tom Simpson biography "Put Me Back On My Bike" - seems Meadows is a huge cycling fan.  I hope it's a success and they option The Death of Marco Pantani too - I think it would make a great rise and fall drama (my minds eye conjures a mash up of Raging Bull and the coke-head desperation section of Boogie Nights).
Worth listening to on Iplayer, the warp philosophy of artist led production was interesting to hear. Sounded like someone just loving what they did.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I've told this tale before but his first film was a short about GME as a doley climber and we both climbed Chequers Crack....

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
The Imposter

Bloody amazing.  Took Stu's advice - read no reviews, find out nothing, just go and see it, and that is definitely worthwhile.  :popcorn:

Made a mistake and started watching this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175292/ Seems there are two films called The Imposter  :-[

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched The Mechanic last night
nice turns by Donald Sutherland and Ben Foster
other than that bog standard Statham action fair...
(would love to live in the swamp house  8) )

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I've told this tale before but his first film was a short about GME as a doley climber and we both climbed Chequers Crack....

Please tell me a copy of this still exists somewhere.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
It was on proper 16mm with a separate soundreel so I don't know if there's a VHS.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Saw some great films this weekend.  A second viewing of The Lives of Others which surpassed the first time I watched it.  La vi en Rose, the biopic of Edith Piaf was great. I had no idea she had led such a tragic life.  Marion Cottillard got an Oscar for her part as Piaf which was extraordinary.  Yesterday went to the Curzon to watch Holy Motors which is just bonkers and absolutely brilliant. 

TobyD

• forum hero
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074638/

Skyfall: I cannot remember liking a Bond movie more. I quite like them even when they are pretty bad, but this is actually quite good. Moneypenny is incredible; and there is a DB7.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Glad to hear good reviews of Skyfall, off to watch in the week.

Watched Bronson the other night, an excellent film, very surreall, funny and tragic. Tom Hardy is first class.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:34:17 pm by Clart »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal