UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139627 times)

jmews

• regular
I recently watched Submarine and Bottle shock. Both very enjoyable in different ways. Submarine really brought back that secondary school feeling, and bottle shock was just a fun watch.

Wood FT

• forum hero
I recently watched Submarine and Bottle shock. Both very enjoyable in different ways. Submarine really brought back that secondary school feeling, and bottle shock was just a fun watch.

+1 for Submarine, had the same feel to it as The Royal Tenenbaums. A great and bleakly funny movie.

cofe

• forum hero
Watched True Grit last night, and The Fighter tonight. Both really good. The girl in True Grit stole the show I thought, and brilliantly shot as always by the Coens. The Fighter was a surprise hit, wasn't sure what to expect. The fight scenes were very good, and well acted. Based on a true story, there's an interesting back story when you start reading into it, quite a few people play themselves.

tomtom

• forum hero
"the lives of others". Superb, pre wall E.German drama focusing around politics and the Stasi... Really really good film... A surprise love film decided to send us (outside of the usual rom com vs action MrsTT vs TT choices)

andy popp

• forum hero
Probably won't be everyone's cup of tea, but watched and adored Bright Star - Jane Campion's lustrous, gorgeous study of the romance between John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Love's young dream for sure.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Carnage. Polankski's adaptation of a stage production. Really good.  Very funny and great character acting from the cast.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Bee Movie with a hangover the other day as it was on tv. Mildly amusing with a nice story and good animation. I quite enjoyed it and it's recommended for 5 year olds.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Mission Impossible 3 - Pretty rubbish
This Means War - Also pretty rubbish
The Decoy Bride - Very rubbish
God Bless America - Awesome, definitely worth a watch.

:popcorn:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Pirates! An Advensture With Scientists.

Most enjoyable.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Got around to watching Rampart.  It's really good, Harrelson is excellent but there are fine performances from Ned Beatty, Sigourney Weaver and others.  It's filmed with handheld cams and there's a lot of muttered dialogue so you have to concentrate.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Watched The Raid the other night. It's the best martial arts film I've seen for years, every fight scene is in some way slightly different and a bit innovative plus there's a properly nails little sadistic bad guy.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Snow White & The Huntsman - fairly good entertainment but obviously not as good as it should have been - it could have been great if the content had matched up to the style. It's all rather dark and dramatic and has pretty cool fantasy setting, but lacks depth and a strong background - the style reminded me a lot of BB / TDK, but while they had some sensible mythology to support and enhance it, this film doesn't, which is a pity because what is hinted on (especially Ravenna and her effect on the land) could be quite intriguing.

mark s

• junky
Watched True Grit last night, and The Fighter tonight. Both really good. The girl in True Grit stole the show I thought, and brilliantly shot as always by the Coens.

thought true grit was amazing
reminds me i borrowed it andi and still have it,thats the next job.find it

like you say the girl in acted like she was double her age,modern westerns are brilliant when done properly

my mate went to see prom at dinner time today,said it very good.others off to see it later
it does look bloody good though,looks nice and dark

tomtom

• forum hero
Just back from seeing Prometheus. Superb...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
May have been mentioned before but check out Hanna. Given somewhat unlikely plot it is actually a really good film with good tight directing and excellent acting. If that's not enough it also features one of the campest bad guys ever (think the bastard off spring of Elton John and Robbie Williams with a large dash of psychopathy thrown in and you have a rough idea).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I enjoyed that too.  Sounds a bit rubbish on paper but it's great. ( the baddie is the vicar in Rev on the telly ).

Prometheus in IMAX 3D tonight.

tomtom

• forum hero

OK, at a proper keyboard so I can give this more effort....

Prometheus is a top notch Sci-fi film. Its not a horror creep show of Alien, and its not an out and out slam bam rollercoaster of Aliens. Bits of it reminded me more of 2001 (especially the beginning which was superb) with nods to other Sci-fi including Blade runner etc.. Its hard to talk too much about it without giving away what happens - but I was completely taken in by watching the story unfold. Character development is not the films strong point - though Fassbenders 'David' is superb, Theron is suitably icy but a little unbelievable and Noomi Thingi is good (though not as superb as in the Dragon Tattoo series). Other characters are there (A suitably lacking in social skills Geologist, and a upon reflection a good Rafe Spall performance as a biologist) but its almost like there is too much plot, story development, sci-fi story to get accross to allow the time for their characters to develop. Kind of the opposite to Alien - which was all about the characters and the whole Alien thing had no explanation. But, I was enthralled trying to figure out what was happening and what it all meant.

Effects are great - and not too over the top. Some neat 'ideas' such as the dotty hologram recordings of what happened. The opening 5 min of flying over Iceland (I suspect) were superb on their own!! ;) </scenery geek> There are great twists on the xenomorph (for the Alien fan) and the 'space jockeys' (Big People) are really well done... All the alien stuff was just really well done.. I didnt think "ach they wouldnt have done that it should have been like this etc..". Twists in the plot were foreseable, but not gapingly so (as in it didnt spoil it). Like good sci-fi films its made me think about what was in it and what it meant for a few hours the evening and day after watching it... The ending is good - and leaves plenty of room for a sequel - not in the direction you might of initially thought either..

I saw it in 3d - which was OK, I dont think that really added much to it (but didnt take away either).. and would have happily seen it in 2d (it would have been a bit brighter too..).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Watched Kill List last week after missing out when it was on the big screen.

It's a very good, if pretty grisly film - and with a rather strange story that's creepy and twisty at the same time.

My only criticism was that in places the dialogue was sometimes hard to make out - seemed a bit over-muffled and I missed out on some of the lines that I read later on in an article that were important to the plot.

lukeh

• addict

OK, at a proper keyboard so I can give this more effort....

Saw it last night and whilst undoubtedly a good film I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

Whilst safe for work contains spoilers...

NSFW  :
My main gripe was with the whole biologist/geologist sub plot, which I thought was poor. How they ended up getting lost was only unexpected because I expected more. Same with the resident evil esk super strength monster, which they decide to open the hold for with no checks. I may be missing something, but that whole section could have been removed without losing any content.

And whilst some of the promo material I thought was great (the viral stuff), I found that the actual trailer gave far too much away - that it was a ship and that the ship would be knocked out of the sky was a given.

But as tomtom mentioned it has quality in that it gives you lots to think about, and has great details.

Overall I did enjoy it, and the 2 hours flew by. Recommended.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Saw it last night and whilst undoubtedly a good film I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

NSFW  :
My main gripe was with the whole biologist/geologist sub plot, which I thought was poor. How they ended up getting lost was only unexpected because I expected more. Same with the resident evil esk super strength monster, which they decide to open the hold for with no checks. I may be missing something, but that whole section could have been removed without losing any content.

And whilst some of the promo material I thought was great (the viral stuff), I found that the actual trailer gave far too much away - that it was a ship and that the ship would be knocked out of the sky was a given.

But as tomtom mentioned it has quality in that it gives you lots to think about, and has great details.

All you need to have done to know about the ship was to have seen Alien, non?

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki

NSFW  :

All you need to have done to know about the ship was to have seen Alien, non?

Well... read on for more spoilers
NSFW  :
It's not the same ship - in Alien the ship is on LV-426 with an in-situ Space Jockey, this takes place on LV-233 and the SJ's chair is empty.
As for the film I was disappointed, it's visually excellent, and it does have some big concepts, but it doesn't expand on them or resolve any of the questions it raises, and ultimately it's a bit of a predictable monster romp, which very closely mirrors what Scott did all those years ago (better) in Alien. Overall it felt like part one of a sequel.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Surely there'll just be a directors cut which will be the flim it should have been but was held back so they can reap more money in?

tomtom

• forum hero
Theres very obviously a part II lined up at the end.
Serps, a nice link here where they discuss some of the unanswered things:
(spoiler alert - if you click on this link and read the page you will spoil the plot..)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jun/08/prometheus-ten-key-questions

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
The Devil's Backbone enjoyable Guillermo del Toro movie I'd not seen before.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
Theres very obviously a part II lined up at the end.
Serps, a nice link here where they discuss some of the unanswered things:
(spoiler alert - if you click on this link and read the page you will spoil the plot..)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jun/08/prometheus-ten-key-questions

Thanks for that. It did actually answer my major question - why is this film so shit? Answer - it was written by the bloke that wrote Lost.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal