UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139284 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has anyone mentioned The Grey?

Yes.

And The Grey which was uttely pants in too many ways to mention.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

I'll make a comparison with Hot Fuzz.. It's a similar type of film (daft - British - set in a sepia chocolate box village)

....but it's shit and not funny, and hot fuzz is funny. This, i feel is an important distinction in cinematic criticism.  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero

I'll make a comparison with Hot Fuzz.. It's a similar type of film (daft - British - set in a sepia chocolate box village)

....but it's shit and not funny, and hot fuzz is funny. This, i feel is an important distinction in cinematic criticism.  ;)

Perhaps if you'd watched all of both films you'd be in a position to say.... ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
Mind you, I'd better be careful, i am after all comparing a turd to a shitty stick...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Well.... Feeling the need to justify myself... ;) it was a bit like Jasper said, you think oh god as it starts, then after 1/2 hour it was alright... Gemma Artherton (sp?) provided some occasional visual highlights, and as it progressed it reminded me more of a play.. Again an alright one. The plot was predictable, the characters over exaggerated, but well acted - and like an Ealing comedy it was all jolly good fun...
I'll make a comparison with Hot Fuzz.. It's a similar type of film (daft - British - set in a sepia chocolate box village) but (thankfully) without Simon Peg ET al..  (I liked Shaun of the dead btw.,,)..

At least you didn't have to explain the 'plot' every five minutes (I hope?).

chummer

• forum abuser
The Guard. Fucking brilliant, clever and very very funny

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Only Jasper reads my posts I said The Grey was shit and The Guard was excellent on the last page.  :'(

tomtom

• forum hero
Well.... Feeling the need to justify myself... ;) it was a bit like Jasper said, you think oh god as it starts, then after 1/2 hour it was alright... Gemma Artherton (sp?) provided some occasional visual highlights, and as it progressed it reminded me more of a play.. Again an alright one. The plot was predictable, the characters over exaggerated, but well acted - and like an Ealing comedy it was all jolly good fun...
I'll make a comparison with Hot Fuzz.. It's a similar type of film (daft - British - set in a sepia chocolate box village) but (thankfully) without Simon Peg ET al..  (I liked Shaun of the dead btw.,,)..

At least you didn't have to explain the 'plot' every five minutes (I hope?).

I had to have it explained to me ;) I was paying attention honest!

rich d

• forum hero
I'm surprised Magpie hasn't commented on The Guard or on The Grey. Could you have a look Jasper?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has she? I'm not sure. I don't pay a lot of attention to magpie's posts on this thread since she rated In Time.

;)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Only Jasper reads my posts I said The Grey was shit and The Guard was excellent on the last page.  :'(

Sorry!

But you only mentioned how shit it was in very brief terms, and considering actually how shit it is, I think you really should've put more effort into it.  It was so shit that, if you're going to write a review, you should really have made at least five hyperbolic comments about how terribly terribly shit it was to really grab our attention.  Otherwise people like me don't notice and then we end up watching it too, and that doesn't do anyone any favours.

Colombiana - like a slightly less shit Transporter with a skinny girl and less speeded-up car chases.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
But you only mentioned how shit it was in very brief terms, and considering actually how shit it is, I think you really should've put more effort into it.  It was so shit that, if you're going to write a review, you should really have made at least five hyperbolic comments about how terribly terribly shit it was to really grab our attention.  Otherwise people like me don't notice and then we end up watching it too, and that doesn't do anyone any favours.
I was worried if I started I may never stop ranting, those stupid fucking wolves and his bloody faux scientific bullshit.  :chair:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has anyone seen "In Time"?  Apparently the reviews are mixed. As in,, it's the.worst film of 2011......

cofe

• forum hero
Watched a couple at the weekend:

Drive – very cool. Really liked this one. Reminded me a bit of A History of Violence. What really made it was the excellent soundtrack.

The Ides of March – Clooney sure knows how to make a classy film. Smart, well acted, well shot. Nice.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Drive again on Sunday night. It's still amazing when you know what's going to happen. Agree about the soundtrack.

Stubbs

Are we allowed to post trailers for films that have us ridiculously excited?

Plattsy

• forum hero
The bar has been set high and I approve. That looks immense. Hints of Aliens and Stargate.    :popcorn:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
The various Prometheus trailers  out there have turned me into a gibbering mess of excitment and I'm gnawing the furniture with anticipation. It will, of course not live up to its hype, but no matter how many times I tell that to myself, I'd still cheerfully stuff my arse with broken glass and sandpaper my nuts to get tickets for the opening night at the imax.

mark s

• junky
i watched tt closer to the edge the other night
really enjoyed it,guy martin is one of those friendly likable types of blokes,completly unfazed by the fame and does what he wants.
watching tt always makes me think of the father in law recounting going over a brow on a works yamaha 700 so quick the front end came up.as he was tucked behind the fairing he just kept it at full throttle not knowing where he was going.when the front dropped he was pointing the right way :o takes a differant breed of biker than the weekend heroes you see riding like morons.all the gear no idea.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
guy martin is one of those friendly likable types of blokes,

Must admit he came across a bit of a weapon whilst restoring that barge on tv 'by eck, shall we ave a brew boy/ boss/ chief' etc etc, though I didn't realise he was a wad on a bike.

Having said that he bears more than a passing resemblance to Turnip, so I can see the appeal for you.

cofe

• forum hero
Well keen to see TT. Didn't get chance at the cinema.

mark s

• junky
guy martin is one of those friendly likable types of blokes,

Must admit he came across a bit of a weapon whilst restoring that barge on tv 'by eck, shall we ave a brew boy/ boss/ chief' etc etc, though I didn't realise he was a wad on a bike.

Having said that he bears more than a passing resemblance to Turnip, so I can see the appeal for you.

haha,well spotted.i hadnt noticed that.
i also didnt realise he was such a nutter on a bike whilst i watched the boat thingy.

nik at work

• forum hero
The TT film is brilliant, they are mental. I'd try and write some gushing flim-flam here but would fail horrendously so instead I'll just encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. In fact in that vein if you haven't seen it Stallion I'll lend it you tomorrow.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Nice one. You can have Pissing Pussies back while we're at it.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Watched The Divide at the weekend, thinking it was a post apocalyptic thriller type thing.  I need to learn to do more research.  It was post apocalyptic but totally not what I was expecting, it's really dark and pretty gory but there are some pretty good, mental, characters in it, so it's worth a watch if you don't mind a bit of gore and a rather dark film.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal