UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139530 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
 :agree: too. Looks like a good and intriguing take on the superpowers genre.

Stubbs

Pretty excited about this!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
And that looks like a good and intriguing take on the space nazis genre...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We watched Midnight in Paris last night and really enjoyed it. Think it helped that neither of us knew anything about it other than it was a Woody Allen film with Owen Wilson in it so the plot all came as a complete surprise.

Really well done with fantastic little touches everywhere and Wilson was actually really good. Probably because "confused, slightly pissed, head in the clouds bloke" comes pretty easily to him but still.....

I watched it a few weeks back with mixed expectations but absolutely loved it.  The best thing Woody has done for years and years.  I've never been a fan of Owen Wilson but casting him as the anxious, introspective Woody Allen character was absolutely brilliant.  One of the funniest and best feel good films I've seen for ages. 9/10 (would have been 10 but the ending was a bit weak).   :clap2:

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
How apt. Just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. I don't believe either of these films are factually correct.

tomtom

• forum hero
How apt. Just finished watching Inglorious Basterds. I don't believe either of these films are factually correct.

I thought Inglorius Basterds was wank - but something made me watch it.. Its hard to put my finger on it, but its like a load of N.American cliche's about WW2 loosely thrown together through a series of 4 or 5 mini-plays... some of which (like the opening scene) are excellent but rammed full of cheese. Pah. Mark Commode eat my quiff.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Trash Humpers

not worth it

when I re-make it at the age of 85 with Jasper and Grumpy Crumpy as my co-stars, then it might be worth seeing

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I thought Inglorious Basterds was very good.  I might be way off beam but i thought it was about our (the audience) relationship with the moving picture, cinema and propaganda and how it influences us and our perspective of history; a reflection on the influence of the third Reich in 20th century filmmaking (the Leni Reifenstal references, the whole hero in the tower, Goebells co-opting the European film industry); us watching an over the top ridiculous revenge movie where the final act is all centered around an audience watching an over the top propaganda/revenge movie where the cinema and the film itself becomes the weapon.

:shrug:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
not enough car chases in it for me.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Timecrimes on Saturday night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/

An excellent little Spanish time travel film. Creepy and sometimes hilarious it also really makes you think.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
Sounds good to me - noted.

psychomansam

• forum hero
pleasantly surprised by "a dangerous method" last night. Some good acting. And spanking.

Raised some interesting questions about monogamy as well I thought.

tomtom

• forum hero
After negotiations to gain Match of the Day viewing rights last weekend, I watched Tamara Drew with mrs TT... Surprisingly good, more of a (non intellectual) British comedy than a rom com...

I fell asleep 10 min in to MOTD. :(

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Finally got round to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other night, I really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the other two, not least so I don't have to read the rest of the 3rd book. :)

Also say The Guard which was totally not what I expected but excellent, really funny and quite quirky.

And The Grey which was uttely pants in too many ways to mention.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I thought Inglorious Basterds was very good.  I might be way off beam but i thought it was about our (the audience) relationship with the moving picture, cinema and over the top ridiculous revenge movie where the final act is all centered around an audience watching an over the top propaganda/revenge movie where the cinema and the film itself becomes the weapon.

I thought Inglorius Basterds was wank ...Pah. Mark Commode eat my quiff.

There is an interesting diversity of critical review on UKB isn't there.  ;)

TobyD

• forum hero
Finally got round to watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other night, I really enjoyed it, looking forward to seeing the other two, not least so I don't have to read the rest of the 3rd book. :)
:agree: I think I voiced the same opinion about the movie being better than the book when i saw it.

I watched Tamara Drew with mrs TT... Surprisingly good, more of a (non intellectual) British comedy than a rom com...
I like that you feel the need to assert that TD is 'non-intellectual'. I can't say I agree with 'surprisingly good' however. Although it has to be said that i switched it off after about 20 minutes, and went to do something interesting instead.  :coffee:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
:agree: I think I voiced the same opinion about the movie being better than the book when i saw it.
I quite enjoyed the first book, the second was OK but I can't bring myself to finish the 3rd it's so bad.  It was by far one of the best film adaptations of a book I've seen, I usually don't like them at all but really enjoyed this one, I thought Daniel Craig was good in it and I've never really rated him before and the girl who played Lisbeth was excellent.  I was also surprised that even though it as long I didn't get bored or fidgety which happens a lot. ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I watched Tamara Drew with mrs TT... Surprisingly good, more of a (non intellectual) British comedy than a rom com...
I like that you feel the need to assert that TD is 'non-intellectual'. I can't say I agree with 'surprisingly good' however. Although it has to be said that i switched it off after about 20 minutes, and went to do something interesting instead.  :coffee:

Holy fuck I just looked that up on imdb. It looks atrocious tomtom!  :sick:

Are you sure this wasn't just a case of being prepared for something to be so awful that when it wasn't quite that awful it seemed ok?

Once again I praise the flying teapot that my Mrs isn't into shit like that.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
The plot of that film sounds like one of those Chick Lit book you get free with Cosmo during the summer which is described as 'a fun beach read!'. :lol:

Stubbs

Watched Warrior on DVD last week, after initially writing it off but then seeing Brett Easton Ellis saying how good it was on Twitter. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/  I was suitably impressed; the story seems clichéd at the outset, but is very well put together, and the fight sequences are amazing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Saw 'We Need to Talk About Kevin" last night. Superb.  Everything about it - the imagery, sound, performances, structure - felt absolutely pitch perfect.  It is one of those rare films where I watched it with a dawning sense that "This. Is . Very . Special". 

I still feel faintly rattled.  I have not felt that for a very long time. 

I felt the same after reading the book.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
The plot of that film sounds like one of those Chick Lit book you get free with Cosmo during the summer which is described as 'a fun beach read!'. :lol:

I was an adaptation of a fairly long running cartoon/comic in the Gaurdian's weekend review section.

TobyD

• forum hero
Nail, head, hit.

Are you sure this wasn't just a case of being prepared for something to be so awful that when it wasn't quite that awful it seemed ok?
I started watching it prepared for pretty much the worst, just felt like watching a movie and that was all there was available.
My imagination proved not to have been able to conjor the idea of a cinematic experience this bad. 

tomtom

• forum hero
Well.... Feeling the need to justify myself... ;) it was a bit like Jasper said, you think oh god as it starts, then after 1/2 hour it was alright... Gemma Artherton (sp?) provided some occasional visual highlights, and as it progressed it reminded me more of a play.. Again an alright one. The plot was predictable, the characters over exaggerated, but well acted - and like an Ealing comedy it was all jolly good fun...
I'll make a comparison with Hot Fuzz.. It's a similar type of film (daft - British - set in a sepia chocolate box village) but (thankfully) without Simon Peg ET al..  (I liked Shaun of the dead btw.,,)..

Yossarian

• forum hero
Has anyone mentioned The Grey?

Possibly the worst animal themed film since Arachnophobia (which I've only just realised stars Jaspersharp):

Liam Neeson has the most irritating American accent in the whole of cinema, and he is even more languid and morose in this than ever before.

Avoid...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal