UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139213 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
American History X is a great film.

:agree:

Watched The Departed over the weekend and for once didn't fall asleep half way through.  Good story, well acted & filmed, only downside was having to explain who was who & what was going on for about the first 1/3 of the film as wife didn't quite get it up to that point.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Not seen the Ultimate Cut, but I loved the Watchmen Book, thought the film was a lot better than the panning it got from critics, fans of the book and just about everyone. Might set the 3.5 hours aside sometime.
I think most of the extra running time of the Ultimate Cut is the inclusion of the Tales of the Black Freighter comic within a comic from the original book.  I read the comic about 20 years ago and it blew my mind so it was good to see the film adaptation doing a strong job.

tomtom

• forum hero
American History X is a great film.

:agree:

Watched The Departed over the weekend and for once didn't fall asleep half way through.  Good story, well acted & filmed, only downside was having to explain who was who & what was going on for about the first 1/3 of the film as wife didn't quite get it up to that point.

:) you two should try tag teaming films - you stay awake for the first half, inform MrsSL whats happened, then while you Doze off she can look after the second part ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If only, I've tried that already and get the usual retort of "Well you should have stayed awake if you want to watch the film"!

Perhaps next time I'll try "If you want to understand whats going on you should be paying attention"  :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
only downside was having to explain who was who & what was going on for about the first 1/3 of the film as wife didn't quite get it up to that point.

Always my favourite part of watching a film with a complicated plot.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I think I'll save Tinker, Tailor to watch alone.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
you sick fuck.  :wank:

:lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
only downside was having to explain who was who & what was going on for about the first 1/3 of the film as wife didn't quite get it up to that point.

MrsTT is a film fan - so I always get (in the left ear) oh - look its Jack McPartwidget, who was in "One flew under the lizards on planes" with Kim Largenipples. AND he's the son of Graham Boringeyebrowtwitcher who was married three times to a Cuban donkey etc.......

We have at least managed to agree to a mutual facebook (her) ukb (me) cease fire during viewing... (except adverts)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:50:24 pm by tomtom »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

Yossarian

• forum hero
I don't think anyone has mentioned Submarine?

Beautiful, funny coming of age film dir by Richard Ayoade.

Had been on my sonar for a while, but only recently surfaced...

A perfect antidote if you've recently overindulged on Hollywood.

Plattsy

• forum hero

MrsTT is a film fan - so I always get (in the left ear) oh - look its Jack McPartwidget, who was in "One flew under the lizards on planes" with Kim Largenipples. AND he's the son of Graham Boringeyebrowtwitcher who was married three times to a Cuban donkey etc.......
I get something similar without the information...."Oh it's erm erm, what she been in before? I know 'er from somewhere." I then spend the next ten minutes trying to remember her name and CV whilst following the film.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I get something similar without the information...."Oh it's erm erm, what she been in before? I know 'er from somewhere." I then spend the next ten minutes trying to remember her name and CV whilst following the film.

Save yourself some time and have a laptop with IMDB open.

JamieG

• forum hero

Agreed. I really loved this film.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

Can't remember if I posted about it on here, but I saw it a few months back. It divided opinion in the room a little - some thinking it a bit to bizarre. I thought it was really good, a good change from run-of -the-mill nonsense!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Save yourself some time and have a laptop with IMDB open.

or just have the app running on your phone. I have to do it constantly. "Oooh what was he in?"

Yossarian

• forum hero
Blitz - Some great actors (and Jason Statham) failing to make any sense of a ludicrous nonsensical plot.  Vaguely like a crap feature length episode of the Bill.

The Three Musketeers - Some excellent actors (apart from the noxious little prat playing D'Artagnan) murder the Dumas classic. Bizarrely, the most convincing acting comes courtesy of Orlando Bloom.  Yes, I know...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Blitz - Some great actors (and Jason Statham) failing to make any sense of a ludicrous nonsensical plot.  Vaguely like a crap feature length episode of the Bill.

:lol: That's exactly how i described it to my girlfriend!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Thirst (2009) Vampire movie from Chan-wook Park (director of Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Vengence, I'm a Cyborg).

Bit long but very good.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Rampart the other night.

Woody Harrelson is brilliant and I loved how it was shot, just not sure about the ending (however I had  consumed quite a lot of wine by that point). Recommended anyway.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Quote from: that film review that Jaz linked
and Sigourney Weaver as a thin-lipped department head

isn't she thin-lipped in all her films?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Great interview with Alex Cox as Repo-Man gets a blu-ray release in the UK.

http://thequietus.com/articles/08085-repo-man-alex-cox-interview

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Got around to seeing Drive the other day. Awesome. Hope it wins some Oscars. Soundtrack immense. Style level off the charts.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I saw Warrior last night and really enjoyed it.  A proper good, rousing piece of schlock with just enough grit to overcome the sheer ridiculousness of it all (Bronson, Inception, Tinker Tailor... the Tom Hardy quality guarentee). One hell of an achievement given the tremendously unpromising materials: it's long, about cage fighting, and built entirely of cliches.  It's like a perfectly functional house built from porridge oats and stale bread. 

tomtom

• forum hero
Aliens vs Cowboys...

Surprisingly alright.. I was expecting a banal/pointless daft wikiwikiWildWildWest style mindless mashup. But it was alright... Even MrsTT managed to stay awake and express moderate interest....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal