UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139399 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched American Gangster last night. It's pretty good. Very long but needs to be really to tell the story properly (and it is a very interesting story).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I saw Troll Hunter at the weekend, it was ok, pretty funny but not great, I thought.  I also watched Thor, it was ok too but not great either.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Finally got around to watching The Worlds Fastest Indian this weekend, nothing to do with a Cherokee Usain Bolt wannabe, but basically a road movie about a Kiwi old timer taking a highly modified motor-'sickle' to the Bonneville salt flats for 'speed week'. Great movie irrespective of your level of interest in all things two wheels. Hopkins is at his best. Sticks pretty close to the true story it's based on, it's such a good story why make it up?

It's brilliant.. Saw it ages ago..

Another one of those films which proves that the supposed subject of a film is just irrelevant, if the true subject is people. A total must watch. Glad you liked it!

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
"The Artist": Subtitle - "I enjoyed it"

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
And the dog should win "Best Supporting Actor"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched Punyo the other day, fell asleep half-way through (often happens to me with films unless they're subtitled), but was entertaining/engrossing enough for my skeptical wife to watch through to the end and she enjoyed it (which is rare with cartoons).  Will watch the remainder myself at some point.

tomtom

• forum hero
Watched Punyo the other day, fell asleep half-way through (often happens to me with films unless they're subtitled), but was entertaining/engrossing enough for my skeptical wife to watch through to the end and she enjoyed it (which is rare with cartoons).  Will watch the remainder myself at some point.

Ahem... Ponjo....

Superb film. Watched this in the deck chair cinema in Darwin. Strange, but really good. Would be quite mad if really stoned... (I wasnt :( )

Plattsy

• forum hero
Love Studio Ghibli films. All slightly bonkers.

psychomansam

• forum hero
And the dog should win "Best Supporting Actor"

People keep saying this sort of stuff.

Nietzsche said big animal lovers generally don't like people. I must really love people. It's a dog.

The film did very little for me either.

I don't love anoyone.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched Punyo the other day

Ahem... Ponjo....

Third time lucky...Ponyo!  :slap:

Would be quite mad if really stoned... (I wasnt :( )

This may have had something to do with why I fell asleep  :-[

Yeah, they're a bit strange, which is definitely part of their appeal, the art work in them is also brilliant.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Watched Punyo the other day
Yeah, they're a bit strange, which is definitely part of their appeal, the art work in them is also brilliant.

Princess Mononoke is a work of genius.

I saw Attack the Block last night. It is absolutely brilliant, and everyone should see it. If you do not like it you are wrong. What could possibly be funnier than two pre teen south london kids flame-throwing an alien with a super soaker? :thumbsup:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
Blitz - Statham - Dross. Like a usual Statham vehicle, but without the action.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Blitz - Statham - Dross. Like a usual Statham vehicle, but without the action.
:o

Yikes. That really does sound pretty awful.

Saw Carnage t'other night. All a bit mature and worthy, but funny, and stunning performances make up for it not really appearing to have anything very much to say other than 'adults behave like children, sometimes'.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
 The Debt. Very good.

What's Your Number? Not too bad actually. Ladies film but still watchable by metrosexual hommes.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Watched this pile of shite last night. A lonely place to die. Some great shots of Scotland however the story and characters are bollocks.
The two avalanche shovels packed for a summer condition VDiff are up there with the ice axes for a caving expedition in The Descent.

tomtom

• forum hero
The Debt. Very good.

What's Your Number? Not too bad actually. Ladies film but still watchable by metrosexual hommes.

How did you find it though? ;)

galpinos

• forum hero
Watched this pile of shite last night. A lonely place to die. Some great shots of Scotland however the story and characters are bollocks.
The two avalanche shovels packed for a summer condition VDiff are up there with the ice axes for a caving expedition in The Descent.

I also watched something from about 5 years ago - the Rise of the Footsoldier.  Repellent, monstrous shit of the highest order. Its only redeeming feature is amusement relating to a hideous wig sported by one of the main characters. Not sure if the costume department intended that to be the case, but even so, it's still pretty funny. But totally shit otherwise.

I watched A Lonely Place to Die recently by the same director, Julian Gibley. Fantastic shots of the Scottish highlands and a half decent thriller. It's a little like a low rent deliverence with a touch of the Wickerman at the end but though that description sounds pretty bad, I enjoyed it. Decent acting with Sean Harris a very convincing bady and the climbing scenes in it are pretty good for a movie too.

It did give the wife nightmares though.....

How opinions differ.......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Been mentioned more than once in this topic already but time off work finally allowed me to catch up with Watchmen (Ultimate Cut).

It's very long (3.5 hours) but I thoroughly enjoyed it despite a smattering of Hollywood nonsense at the end.

Jackie Earle Haley was superb as the menacing Rorschach.

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
Watched Margin Call twice on flights back from Canada yesterday. A pretty good film IMHO with probably the most accurate portrayal of an investment bank that I have seen on film. Nicely politically-incorrect too: how can you not like a film in which Demi Moore's character is called a cunt within the first five minutes?

Watched it last night when I should have been very asleep.  Would rate better than pretty good.

Also recently watched:
Burning Plain:  pretty good.
American History X: outstanding but not to be watched with the kids or when trying to charm a potential partner.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Some great shots of Scotland

Fantastic shots of the Scottish highlands

How opinions differ.......

At least we agree on something  :hug:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The Machinist - Why did I not see this already? Great film, really enjoyed it. Actually kept me guessing the whole way and the ending was spot on.

Watchmen was great, really well done and Rorshach and Dr Manhattan were intriguing characters.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not seen the Ultimate Cut, but I loved the Watchmen Book, thought the film was a lot better than the panning it got from critics, fans of the book and just about everyone. Might set the 3.5 hours aside sometime.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I saw Watchmen without even having heard of the comic. I read the comic after and thought the film was better - the cinema brings the atmosphere to life better, and the ending plot was considerably better.

tomtom

• forum hero
I saw Watchmen without even having heard of the comic. I read the comic after and thought the film was better - the cinema brings the atmosphere to life better, and the ending plot was considerably better.

I've never read a comic other than Beano, and the NOTW, but thought Watchmen was superb....

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
American History X is a great film.

I saw The Wrestler the other night and was surprised by how much I liked it, the lack of proper ending annoyed me a bit though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal