UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139536 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If it was it passed me by. :shrug:

clm

• forum hero
I thought hanna was really good too. Saw the Kevin film . Good but with so much hype about the book I think it was always gonna be difficult to make a movie where everyone already knows the twist.

Dr T

• forum hero
Just watched La Haine again - still an awesome film - 16 years on and has anything really changed???

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
went to see contagion last night-itshad mixed reviews but i liked it.more a docu-film than a movie in my eyes but worthwhile none the less

andy popp

• forum hero
A search suggests no-one has mentioned the incredible Winter's Bone; can this really be true. A fun film for all the family.

Duma

• forum hero
Oh yes they have! Think bubba and I mentioned it a while back, maybe in the books thread though. You read it? Do so if not.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
On the flight out here to Azeriland I watched Super 8 which was really good - exciting, good plot, liked it! 8/10
Agreed. Nice film.

Then I watched Midnight in Paris which was utterly gash - I read a few reviews afterwords which blabbed on about how wonderful it was but I think people maybe get too excited just because it's woody allen - I thought Owen Wilson was fucking awful in the lead role. 4/10 mainly for the sets and feeling of the film. Maybe could've been 6/10 if you replaced Owen Wilson!

Disagree! Loved it, both in the little nuggets of detail (for example, the OTT Hemingway character) and the overall escapist premise. And I don't normally seek out Woody Allen films.

In reflection, I was surprised that my parents thought it was fairly good, as we've got similar tastes. I've come to the conclusion that I might not have given it justice, being the third film in a row, on a plane, with a tiny screen!  I still don't think
Owen Wilson was great...

Also caught Rise of the Planet of the Apes flying back from Greece yesterday. Ridiculous plot obviously but the apes are very cool.

Was quite keen to see that one!

Watched The Tree of Life the other day. Can't decide if I liked it or not. I think it's maybe a film for film buffs!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
A search suggests no-one has mentioned the incredible Winter's Bone; can this really be true. A fun film for all the family.

Never trust the search......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Never trust the search......
Never trust the forum search anyway.

Here's the best way to search ukb.

Winter's Bone was the film of last year imo - Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic.

andy popp

• forum hero

Agreed. I actually went to Missouri shortly after seeing it. I made sure to stick to St Louis.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched The Town last night and agree with what others have said on here. Worth watching and certainly has it's moments but the cliche count gets a little high. Some good characters though.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac

aye saw this over the weekend. Good Film.  Laura Palmer is looking a bit haggered these days isnt she...

tomtom

• forum hero
Watched 'Cemetry junction' on DvD at the weekend. And whilst I would normally rather bbq my cock whilst sticking a blunt rusty syphillitic spoon in my eye, than watch a Ricky Gervais film... it was alright. If not charming in places - though thin in others. Worth it for a mid week DVD night in,.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Saw two pretty good films on DVD this week.

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring Korean film. Beautifully shot on some weird floating Buddhist monastery. Bit depressing, think it might have been an odd Buddhist parable of some kind. Ultimately I didn't really know what point the film was making. I thought it was pretty good though.

A Prophet Best prison-based film I've seen since The Shawshank Redemption. Opposite message in a way though. More depressing than life-affirming. Very brutal, very good.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
The Ides of March

Went to see this last week. Serviceable entertainment, good performances, slick direction, yet unspectacular - it seemed to be missing punch at the end. Certainly a worthwhile watch though.

Stubbs

Turnout

This somehow ended up on our Lovefilm list, although I'm not sure how.  Total rubbish, if you want to watch something about East End gangsters I suggest this:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Bridesmaids last night and agree with FD - very funny.

Have heard it described as The Hangover for women and although there are certainly similarities I thought it was a much better film.

tomtom

• forum hero
Turnout

This somehow ended up on our Lovefilm list,

MrsTT has a worrying control on our (I pay for it) Love film list... an increasing number of love story vampire type shite films seem to be arriving..

Fortunately I'm normally back from work before her, so I can always return them unviewed ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :lol: Good effort!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You mean she doesn't steal your iPad and stream them whilst lying in bed with you for a romantic evening in?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
As if he allows her to touch his iPad. #iphonegaylord

JamieG

• forum hero
Went to see "We need to talk about Kevin" and thought it was very good. I was initially quite apprehensive about seeing it, since I thought it might tick too many cliche psychopath boxes. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it in a typical sense, since I found the whole film very unsettling and uncomfortable. But would definitely recommend seeing it if you fancy seeing a movie that will think for several days afterwards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Be interested to see it, if only to see how it is adapted from the book. Which had me thinking for several weeks afterwards.

tomtom

• forum hero
You mean she doesn't steal your iPad and stream them whilst lying in bed with you for a romantic evening in?

Shh... She's not sussed that there's now an iPad love film viewer app... ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
quite apprehensive....  cliche psychopath boxes. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it.... very unsettling and uncomfortable.... think for several days afterwards.

Sounds like going round to Jasper's house

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal