UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1154837 times)

robertostallioni

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

robertostallioni

• forum hero
 :)

Kylie's gone off the rails too

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
No no no. Not even opening that.  :spank:

galpinos

• forum hero
Just back from 'Tinker tailor soldier spy'. In a word Sublime.

Made like an old school film, great actors, story, screenplay, cinematography.. Non fancy cgi or MTV sound track. Don't take any noisy sweets though :)

I really enjoyed it. I found it quite amusing watching the first of the new series Spooks last night with it's sharp suits, money and ninja-ing people to death compared to the drab seventies colours, the years doing import/export as a cover or trawling round the embassies of the world and the fact it's all solved by sitting in a crap hotel reading the contents of faded manilla folders.

A few comments:
  • Gary Oldman - What a actor. Nothing like the Smiley in my head by I totally bought into his character.
  • Colin Firth - Has he always had a lisp/funny voice or just since the Queen's Speech?
  • As I know the book and had read it recently, I found I had to explain a couple of nuances that the lads I was with didn't think were very clear - Did anyone else would not read the book think they missed something?
Didn't think any of the changes from the book detracted at all. Quality film.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Colin Firth picked up a stutter during the making of Kings Speech.

I just watched Bridesmaids on the plane... very funny.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Kill List - http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/sep/01/kill-list-film-review

Saw this last week. Low budget, bleak, uban look. Excellent acting and script. Fair bit of violence (not the glammed up type), but very very good.
Also has the bonus of being filmed in Sheffield so you can play spot that building.

Well worth seeing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not sure where else to post this, as it will likely be shite, but anyone who has been climbing at Boltsheugh or any of the other Newtonhill crags will recognise some of the locations.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Attack the block. Very enjoyable, funny and an awesome soundtrack. Nice cinematography too.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Saw One Day the other week, which I thought was better than the reviews said - not as good as the book but quite captivating. 7/10

On the flight out here to Azeriland I watched Super 8 which was really good - exciting, good plot, liked it! 8/10

Then I watched Midnight in Paris whihc was uttelry gash - I read a few reviews afterwords which blabbed on about how wonderful it was but I thnk people maybe get too excited just because it's woody allen - I thought Owen Wilson was fvcking awful in the lead role. 4/10 mainly for thje sets and feeling of the film. Maybe could've been 6/10 if you replaced Owen Wilson!

Seb

• addict
I saw Rushmore in the cinema yesterday. Forgot how funny it was, its possibly my favourate Wes Anderson film.

galpinos

• forum hero

"They're my OR scrubs"

"Oh are they......."

Yossarian

• forum hero
Don't think these have had a mention yet...

Drive - Nicholas Winding Refn-directed thriller / car movie / delicious piece of cinematic art.  The best film I've seen for, umm, ages.  Curiously timeless.  Not seen TTSS yet, but it'll have to be very good to eclipse this...

Hanna - Thriller about a teenage assassin, but far less trivial than that sounds.  Almost like a grown-up Bourne film, but starring a teenage girl.  Particularly excellent acting by Tom Hollander as sadistic German nightclub owner and catcher of people.

I also watched Horrible Bosses, which I am almost (but not quite) ashamed to say was very amusing...

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
I'd be surprised if this has not had a mention somewhere in these 70 pages; but Amores Perros; what a movie! Amazing, absolutely amazing. Although, it has to be said, not one to watch if you need cheering up, or are sqeamish about the sight of horribly mauled dogs, or indeed people.
The way that seperate storylines are skillfully woven together into a  thematic thread in this movie is a great example of what many Hollywood movie makers aspire to, but generally manage to achieve only a crude example of.

Seb

• addict
Nthing Drive. Saw it yesterday with my friend who was seeing it for the second time in two days. Totally blew me away. Everything about it was amazing.

Yossarian

• forum hero
Yeah, I watched Drive twice in two days too. Never done that before.  Might go again at the weekend!

It is nearly perfect.

Seb

• addict
I'm definitely going again at the weekend. My friend said it was better the second time. I think ill have to go with some one who hasn't seen it yet as well to get their reaction.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

We watched this last night. It's stunning.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Finally got round to watching Just Another Love Story yesterday.  Like the original Nightwatch (from the same director before it was remade with Ewen McGregor) its quite dark in places and the filming style reflects this.  Would recommend it.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Got around to watching Stardust last night, actually pretty good for a fantasy cheese-fest. Great cast not taking themselves too seriously. De Niro is great, and I could watch Clare Danes all day... :wub: Currently seems to be shown at least once a week on E4 or other channels.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
another  :thumbsup: for drive.

And does visualising murdering people who  :popcorn: throughout the entire film make me a sociapath?  What would dexter do?

Tim

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Contagion :sick:

Really good. Tight, lean, well paced, down to earth but unsentimental. Although I would have prefered a bit more tension towards the end.

A good example of modern thriller type films where they take a fuckupable premise and don't fuck it up. Good soundtrack too.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just clocked this trailer, could be worth a viewing...

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
saw THOR and Captain America last week,wouldnt rate either for more than one watch so rent rather than buy imho :)

galpinos

• forum hero
Slackers,

Wasn't that a BBC series they've mashed together into a film? Assuming it is the same (the clips all seem to be from the series) it was good in the half hour doses but not sure I'd stick a whole film.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal