UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139564 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
has has anyone seen any good films lately been replaced with has anyone who wishes to see a good film don't bother since we're going to debate the plot for you?

Yossarian

• forum hero
You could put your fingers in your ears and say, "Nanananannanananananann"...?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I do that whenever I go for a curry. I never eat them all.

Yossarian

• forum hero
With respect to Whiting's involvement in the Nasir assassination - surely all he needed to do was to make the right noises in those CLI meetings.  In the one that Bob is asked to do his Iran presentation, he is asked "When can we expect a pro-Western, pro-business government in that country?" or words to that effect.  I understand that the US concept of Syriana is of a similarly pro-US Middle East, or countries therein.  As such, Whiting's persuasiveness in the right ears in the CLI should be all that's required in the case of Nasir vs Meshal - he paints Nasir as anti US / pro China, politically an undesirable ally who doesn't want to play ball (but who must be rubbed out in favour of) pro-US puppet Meshal.
Maybe. Though I had always assumed that the single-issue lobby group nutjobs (like this fictional CLI) don't actually influence US policy very much, as in the end it is all neutered by bureaucrats.
[/quote]

You see, I see the CLI in Syriana not as a lobby group, but as a secretive State Department committee, rather like the War Committee in In the Loop. Mainly because of the relationship between that committee and the CIA.  A lobby group wouldn't have briefings by a serving CIA case officer, shirely?  The fact that action is taken against Nasir so quickly is shurely testament to the fact that the CLI is tied in quite tight to the CIA in an operational sense. Or rather, in the sense of the nomination of potentially pro-US operations.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
jesus christ can you two continue this debate in private or get a room  :shag:

also king of kong is entirely on youtube, well good innit :wave:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Inception's good.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' last night on DeeVeeDee...

:thumbsup: excellent film (watch it in Swedish with subtitles, not dubbed) kept me engrossed all the way through. Reccommended.

How did you get on with Inception Jas? Did MrsSharpe have to explain it to you  :P
 ;)

a dense loner

• forum hero
saw "the warriors way" the other day. think shogun assasin meets western meets fairground, but not in a good way

saw "the takers" the other wk, pretty good oceans 11 type nonsense

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
saw "the takers" the other wk, pretty good oceans 11 type nonsense

Agreed, pretty good. Not in the same league as say, 'Heat' though. In a similar vain, 'The Town' is pretty good too.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
MONSTERS just been to go see this.

Recommended. Tense, effectively acted with some amazing cinematography and effects given the budget! It manages to nicely interweave a strong narrative thread on the American attitude to the aliens and Mexicans with the developing relationship between the two main characters. If i have a criticism , it is that it relies a little too highly on lots of very dark shots (presumably because they could n't afford much else!) but that said, it remained pretty effective: the darkness is certainly more frightening than the current usual Hollywood trope of full frontal monster from minute two of the movie.

I have a horrible suspision it will recieve a big budget remake inthe near future, which needn't necessarily be bad (i like a good massive cgi monster as much as the next man); but lets face it, that's not what usually happens....

Idol eyes

• junky
Looking forward to TRON Legacy...

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
TRON gives me a boner (or olivia wilde does  :-\)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Primeval: this movie has two redeeming features: that it is free on iplayer at the moment, and there is a very big crocodile. In pretty much every other aspect it is unremittingly awful.

It is almost worth watching for the croc. 

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
had opportunity to catch up with a couple of flicks over the break:

coen bros. take on mccarthy's no country for old men, a gripping adaptation;

volver, both comic and poignant with a brilliant strong ensemble headed by cruz

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
I saw Blade Trinity the other day. Pretty samey but it did have Jessica Biel's adorable midriff on show for much of it. I think I'd sit through it again for that.
And yes, I know it's not a new film.

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
It is almost worth watching for the croc.

Lake Placid is the best croc film out. Predictable story but if you like a crocs and some amusing banter it's worth a watch.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

volver, both comic and poignant with a brilliant strong ensemble headed by cruz

Watched this the other night. Brilliant.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
 :agree: best film I saw last year (and I have a massive crush on Ms Cruz)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Really wanted to watch it but was overruled. Hopefully on again.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Winter's Bone - just seen it at the Showroom - very dark; recommended.

You read the book bubba? Had forgotten all about reading this years ago until I saw your post - didn't realise they'd made a film. Thought the book was amazing though - look it up (not a light read, but then I'd imagine thats obvious from the film). His other stuff is good too
Sorry to totally ignore your post Duma, missed it for some reason. Had no idea there was a book - will seek it out after the Christmas book-pile has been exhausted...

Very psyched to re-watch Winter's Bone on Blu-Ray when we replace the just expired crt with a 1080p lcd - hopefully this weekend.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
we watched Arn - knight templar last night 99p rental from i tunes.bloody great film.it is everything that kingdom of heaven should have been.there seems to be a great load of stuff coming out of sweden at the mo

Dr T

• forum hero
Finally got around to watching Princess Mononoke
If you like anime it's a must see.
Would probably watch it with subtitles rather than dubbing next time - Minnie Driver's performance is rather irritating....

soapy

• junky
    • maskon

psychomansam

• forum hero
Go watch "the american"

Doesn't manage greatness, but a really decent watch i thought

Tron 3d = yes

Paul B

• forum hero
I watched Inception last night and thought it was pretty fantastic and fairly straightforward to follow.

A few days earlier I was conned into going to the cinema to watch "Love and other drugs", apart from Anne Hathaway looking rather fetching at times the rest of the film is a very romantic piece of turd. Avoid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal