UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139381 times)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
The Book Of Eli

Very very good

Agreed. Tad slow in places. Anyone else notice all the Oakley branding on stuff? Sunglasses, bag, jacket.

Critchlow

Crikey your not wrong !

do you think it might be a sponsor ?  :lol:

hope your well Adam btw !

Stubbs

Inception. Do it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Quite psyched for that, trailers look great. Is Leonardo de Ladyboy good, I find him irrirtating sometimes?

Stubbs

I'm normally hating on Leo but he doesn't spoil this at all

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
One Day Removals.

Semi-unintelligible Aberdeen accents, and a slowish 10 minutes, followed by an awesome low-budget film. I liked it....

but then I liked Bubba Ho'Tep too....which is also awesome!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Inception... Great film, does exactly what it promises, although the mad curving city shit is negligible. Like TDK it's an action crime thriller dressed up as (sort of) sci-fi, and it does that very well. The action is pretty average but the concept and the set-ups and dicking around with dreams within dreams are all very cool, I particularly like the "timings" aspect.

TBH I think a film doesn't really do the idea justice and it could easily be longer and more indepth, particularly with the background to both the dream-tinkerers (what context do they exist in) and their targets.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Stubbs

The Dark Knight.

I'm not sure I agree that it could have been longer, it's already over 2 hours, I' sure he wrote more in the 10 years it took him to come up with the script, but blockbusters can't be too bloated!

SA Chris

• forum hero

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I was thinking...

On the topic of acronyms, they fucking piss me off, people use them because they think its quicker and easier, but there is an implicit assumpation (demonstrated here, and not having a personal dig fiend) that those who are reading/hearing the acronym actually know what it is (sometimes out of a multitude of possibilities).  As with txt-speak it places an onus on the recipient to decipher the acronym on the fly (which may not be possible).  Language has developed for a reason, because it aids communication and the understanding of each other, these days it seems we're moving backwards with the increasing use of acronyms. Its rife here at work where people can trot off whole sentences with acronyms conjugated together and no real words.   FFS  :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:06:29 pm by slack---line »

SA Chris

• forum hero
Old cassettes was the only thing I could think of. Glad I'm not the only old skooler.

Ferrito

• regular
  • newsell
Just watched Sin Nombre after hearing only good things about it. Didn't disappoint. Gangsters, immigrants and a train journey would sort of sum it up. Oh, and a Ford Ka.

Brilliant film.

tomtom

• forum hero

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Watched Thirst the other night.
Highly recomended

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched Thirst the other night.
Highly recomended

:thumbsup: Excellent, will seek that out, I've liked most of Chan-wook Park's films so far.

saintlade

• player
Just rewatched Factotum (charles bukowski novel) and remembered how much I'd liked it, it's on BBC 2 iPlayer at the moment.

tomtom

• forum hero
My recent sojurn down under gave me the chance to catch up on some inflight movies... they included:

The Green Zone - Good, not brilliant but good...

The Loft. Pretty good Belgian murder mystery about a group of men who buy a swanky loft apartment where they can take their extra marital affairs etc... until a body turns up there.. Never seen a Belgian film I can remember - but this was really good. Well worth a DVD watching punt if you dont mind subtitles...

Gattaca. Interesting and fairly good sci-fi thriller thingy - not bad despite having Jude Law in it...

Kick Ass. Great film - as previous posts on here say....

Hurt Locker - really good - not in a 'shit that was amazing' kind of way  - more that creeping making you think about it afterwards type of goodness..

The Castle. If you're Australian you'll know all about this. Its one for the pool room...  If not, its hard to describe but kind of an Australian version of the Royal family - except its not... really really funny... if you liked Kenny - you'll love this one but it takes a bit of time to get into the humour..

JamieG

• forum hero
Just rewatched Factotum (charles bukowski novel) and remembered how much I'd liked it, it's on BBC 2 iPlayer at the moment.

I've read the book, but am a bit nervous about watching the film incase it ruins the book for me. Do you think that is likely or is the film quite faithful to the book?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Never seen a Belgian film I can remember

have a watch of Man Bites Dog - it's quite memorable

InsanityWolf

have a watch of Man Bites Dog - it's quite memorable

awesome film! crazy belgians.

just saw Ip Man 1 and Ip Man 2 (Electric Boogaloo). If you like Kung Fu films with huge amounts of ass kicking they're a good watch.

saintlade

• player

I've read the book, but am a bit nervous about watching the film incase it ruins the book for me. Do you think that is likely or is the film quite faithful to the book?

To be honest don't remember much of Factotum, it's semi autobiographical  so not as out there as some of his stuff e.g pulp. I thought the film was quite good and captured certainly a sense of Bukowski's style.

JamieG

• forum hero

To be honest don't remember much of Factotum, it's semi autobiographical  so not as out there as some of his stuff e.g pulp. I thought the film was quite good and captured certainly a sense of Bukowski's style.

Cheers, I'll take the plunge and report back.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
'This is England', by Shane Meadows (2006), brilliant I reckon, well worth a watch...particularly for all the 30/40 somethings out there..

Just seen an advert for "This is England '86"

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Just seen an advert for "This is England '86"

I've just watched that trailer and the be honest, it looks fucking terrible. Just a load of the worst type loutish, football chav behaviour cobbled together. I would rather sandpaper my nuts than watch any more of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal