UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139623 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Watched this last night;

If you like gritty British films, flinching story lines, escapism, fucked up characters and outstanding debut acting (Katie Jarvis was talent spotted having an argument with her boyfriend) then this for you. One of the better films I've seen of recent months.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Just watched the A-Team. Was brilliant. Some of the scenes were a bit far fetched to say the least. Very watchable. Not quite sure what makes it brilliant, maybe just because its the A-Team!

cofe

• forum hero
Finally saw District 9 the other night. Brilliant. Couldn't get enough of the main guy saying 'fuck'.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
This film looks like it will be quite intersting.  180 South

psychomansam

• forum hero
Watched this last night;

[fish tank]

If you like gritty British films, flinching story lines, escapism, fucked up characters and outstanding debut acting (Katie Jarvis was talent spotted having an argument with her boyfriend) then this for you. One of the better films I've seen of recent months.

Indeed, well worth a watch, though you might want to drink heavily afterwards so you forget it. Good british cinema!

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Watched 'Pulling John' the other night. A documentary about arm wrestling and the legendary John Brzenk. Good on several levels, I particularly enjoyed comparing the humility of the two main challengers to the Brzenk thrown.

nik at work

• forum hero
I fully expect a spanking down for this but...

I saw Let The Right One In last night and was underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much from the high praise it received here but it was just OK. Sorry.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Did you watch it at home?  I definitely think it added something for me watching it on the big screen in a half empty cinema, I'm not sure it would be the same watched in my living room at home.

psychomansam

• forum hero
finally got round to seeing "an education" last night. Very good, and very watchable, although if i'm going to be critical i'd say that i wished the deuteragonist was revealed as a more (realistic) complex character rather than the stereotype we're given...

psychomansam

• forum hero
oh, i should probably say "an education" was a film to watch with the other half

Leaves of Grass get a big recommendation from me. Loved it, and it's one of those i'm guessing most people haven't seen. Great drama, some good dark humour, and not the infantile weed film i was worried it might be.

Edward Norton gives almost as good a performance as in Fight Club.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I fully expect a spanking down for this but...

I saw Let The Right One In last night and was underwhelmed. Maybe I expected too much from the high praise it received here but it was just OK. Sorry.

I read last week it was receiving the Hollywood remake treatment.

chummer

• forum abuser
'This is England', by Shane Meadows (2006), brilliant I reckon, well worth a watch...particularly for all the 30/40 somethings out there..

Eddies

• forum hero
'This is England', by Shane Meadows (2006), brilliant I reckon, well worth a watch...particularly for all the 30/40 somethings out there..

You should deffo check out Somers town next
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1650197785/

chummer

• forum abuser
 :thumbsup: Already have! A fantastic film, fully recommended. :thumbsup:

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
Got round to watching 'Shutter Island' the other day, highly recommended. A detective (DiCaprio) is brought in to investigates a missing person on an island hospital for the criminally insane.

Also watched 'The Maiden Heist'. A film about 3 art gallery security guards who have each fallen in love with a work of art and plan to steal them when they find out that the pieces will be moved to a museum in Denmark. An enjoyable feel-good comedy with Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William Masey.

Paul B

• forum hero
Got round to watching 'Shutter Island' the other day, highly recommended. A detective (DiCaprio) is brought in to investigates a missing person on an island hospital for the criminally insane.

Are you kidding?
Shutter island IMO was decidedly average. Wooden acting by Di Caprio (lifted straight out of the departed into a different role not that he'd noticed). The plot seems fairly apparent throughout and I ended up so bored I counted ceiling tiles.
If I hadn't taken my Nan (she usually goes for Seagal movies, I'm not kidding) I would have walked out.

Oh and I did get dragged to see SATC2. I suggested Nat went with a freind. Somehow this evolved into a double date scenario (cringeworthy already), which got worse and worse. She apologised after 10 mins in and said she'd have walked out if we didn't have company (who worringly enjoyed it, in fact the other girl had seen it before).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Tell Nat she must never contact these people again.

Paul B

• forum hero
Tell Nat she must never contact these people again.

The thing is we both got smashed beforehand (or at least I did, PIMMS'o'clock came early) thinking that might make it bareable.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You must have forgotten to nod off in an alcohol induced slumber when the trailers were running.

Works for me, I slept through most of Flashdance Musical at the Lyceum much to my wife's chagrin.

iain

• forum abuser

Watched Micmacs last night, (same guy that did Delicatessen and Amelie) and thought it was whimsical and brilliant.

finally got round to seeing "an education" last night. Very good, and very watchable, although if i'm going to be critical i'd say that i wished the deuteragonist was revealed as a more (realistic) complex character rather than the stereotype we're given...

Saw this recently too and really enjoyed it despite being very sceptical from the description.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Not a film, but I watched the whole series of Spartacus: Blood and Sand last week. It would have been more appropriately named Spartacus: Blood and Sex and More Blood. A bit like 300, but with a more personal edge to the violence and a lot more shagging and deception. John Hannah is very good as a scheming Roman and Lucy Lawless is great as his nasty wife (didn't realise it was her 'till the credits).
Definitely not family viewing. Nice to see good use of the word "cunt" for a change.
13 hours well spent if you like that sort of thing. Pisses all over shiny Hollywood "action" films.

edit:
I should also add that it is probably not very historically accurate, despite the makers using "historical accuracy" as an excuse for loads of grimness and violence.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:06:36 pm by lagerstarfish »

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
This may have been mentioned before, but we watched Dancer In The Dark a few nights ago. I'm not keen on Bjork's music, and fucking hate musicals but this is one of the best films I have ever seen.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Daybreakers - cool film, good antidote to the cheesey soppy angsty teenage girl smouldering look bollox vampire romance pr0n bullshit that's saturating the film market at the moment. Really well set-up premise, lots of cool touches, first half is great, tails off a bit and the ending is a bit weak, but good stuff. Could have gone a lot further I reckon, into the settings and general vibe and made a real classic.

psychomansam

• forum hero
Enjoyed Lymelife today (at showroom - what a great cinema!)

I spent the whole film switching between grinning and grimacing, as well as once or twice getting worryingly turned on.
Also worrying, is that it appears the Culkins can act, especially the littl'un. Great little indie american and impressively-small-budget film.
Improves with retrospect too i think, would watch it again now i know what to expect.

Anyone seen "Whatever Works"?

Critchlow

The Book Of Eli

Very very good

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal