UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139453 times)

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

Saw Kickass with the missus last night....f**ing awesome. Original, energetic, cool, funny film, the nearest a mainstream film gets to being a cult movie. Maybe the best film I've seen in the last year. Check it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Saw Kickass with the missus last night....f**ing awesome. Original, energetic, cool, funny film, the nearest a mainstream film gets to being a cult movie. Maybe the best film I've seen in the last year. Check it.

Thats likely because the director, Matthew Vaughn, made the film without any studio backing as none were willing to bankroll it.  This gave him the creative freedom to make the film he wanted.  The studios then became interested in it and offered to market/distribute it.  See interview with Vaughn.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Isn't the original comic / graphic novel by a Glaswegian? Really keen to see it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Don't bother w/ The Hurt Locker, really, it's for retards.

4/10

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Isn't the original comic / graphic novel by a Glaswegian? Really keen to see it.

In linked article it says the script was written at the same time as comic book writer Mark Millar was writing the book.  A quick search leads to his Wikipedia entry which notes that he's Scottish and was born in Coatbridge, but is now resident in Glasgow.

:-*

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

Thats likely because the director, Matthew Vaughn, made the film without any studio backing as none were willing to bankroll it.  This gave him the creative freedom to make the film he wanted.  The studios then became interested in it and offered to market/distribute it.  See interview with Vaughn.

This is true, but being an independently produced film does not automatically give a 'cult feel' or 'cult status'. Example - The Hurt locker was made for less money and independently with great freedom for the director yet would hardly be construed as a 'cult movie'.

The reason IMHO for the films cult feel, is an accurate translation of an original comic to film (helped by a studio not sticking their beak in!). Not trying to be pedantic, but freedom to direct doesn't neccessarily give cult. ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Indeed "cult" (in this context of fad as oppossed to the religious connotation) depends on individual perspective, what I consider a cult (or cult like) and would choose to follow closely/be heavily interested in may be different from what you consider worthy of such status.

However, we do agree that freedom from interference by studio's does give great creative freedom which likely translated as a closer adaptation of the original story (although it probably helped that the film and book were written in close conjunction with each other, so it could well be that aspects of the film influenced the content of the "original" comic!).

It'll be a cult when there's a YouTube video of some fat kid in blue and yellow lycra waving a stick around.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos

4/10

I was expecting a lot from this - stupidly bought it on blu-ray to test out the new PS3 and was distinctly underwhelmed. Didn't really get the point of it all. Didn't find the characters all that engaging and the cinematography, scenes etc. were not as visually spectacular as I was expecting.

Maybe would go as low as 4/10, but it wouldn't get more than a point or two above that!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

It'll be a cult when there's a YouTube video of some fat kid in blue and yellow lycra waving a stick around.

;D

SA Chris

• forum hero

In linked article it says the script was written at the same time as comic book writer Mark Millar was writing the book.  A quick search leads to his Wikipedia entry which notes that he's Scottish and was born in Coatbridge, but is now resident in Glasgow.

Thank you Mr Logic. A simple "yes" would probably do me.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Thank you Mr Logic. A simple "yes" would probably do me.

But what do you define as a "Glaswegian"?  Do you have to be born and bred, or just habiting?  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You've got the pedantometer cranked up to 11 today haven't you?  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Currently entrenched in analysis, can't switch off  :wall:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
But what do you define as a "Glaswegian"?  Do you have to be born and bred, or just habiting?  :P

You have to born within the sound of a bar fight over heroine, don't you?  ;)

JamesD

• obsessive maniac
  • one ton monkey

100% with you on that one, went to see it with the other halfs sister, and am going back to see it with my girl ASAP.

Amazing, brilliant, without a doubt a cult movie that will be watched for years to come :)

I hope they make a sequel that is equally brilliant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Heroine?  As in...

:P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist!  :lol:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut

4/10

Totally agree, I couldn't believe how critics were hailing it as brilliant, honest portrayal of the war. It's not by a long shot. Generation Kill, the miniseries adaptation (by the guys that did The Wire) of Evan Wright's book detailing his 4 week stay with US Marines at the start of the Iraq war is leagues better.

I went to see Kick Ass the other night and for some reason didn't rate it as highly as I thought I might.

SA Chris

• forum hero

You have to born within the sound of a bar fight over heroine, don't you?  ;)

That describes pretty much all urban scots.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Just another vote for the awesome film Kick Ass - really tight script, the dialogue is spot and it has some truly hilarious moments in it. Anyone else pick up on the little references to Tarantino as well?

Davey_C

• regular
Just saw a trailer for Four Lions last night, looks pretty funny.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Just another vote for the awesome film Kick Ass - really tight script, the dialogue is spot and it has some truly hilarious moments in it. Anyone else pick up on the little references to Tarantino as well?

We talking slicing to surf music, manga and ponytails. Word

Paul B

• forum hero
While you've all been enjoying kick ass I had the misfortune to sit through Shutter Island today.

Frankly, If I hadn't been taking my Nan for her 70-odd th birthday I would have walked out. The plot isn't that encaspulating, the twist is obvious all bar the last line from Di Caprio (shit performance from him as well, same charachter as in the bleeding Departed). Kingsley does his best to bring the film back to life but its too big a job for one man.

I counted ceiling tiles.  :wank:

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
i was slightly disappointed with kick ass. the wife was definately not impressed when i was selling it over her choice of the blind side.... better than the watchmen tho.

recently had fantastic mister fox on dvd. now that was better. it was great to see stop action animation again

Plattsy

• forum hero
Another vote for Kick-Ass. Really enjoyed it. When I wasn't laughing out loud I had a big smile on my face and not many films can do that for me (read miserable bastard). Good stuff.

Saw that top 4 lions trailer last night too. Looks great.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal