UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139652 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
LTROI is the best film I watched last year.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I concur, awesome film.  8)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Has someone mentioned this yet?

Apologies if etc..   but it's fine, really fine.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Yet again Houdini 'comes correct' with his film choices, LTROI is fantastic. The book is well worth reading too.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
LTROI is fantastic. The book is well worth reading too.

I've only read the book, but thought the blend of horror and beauty was finely pitched. The violence is at times extreme, but never feels gratuitous.  Looking forward to the film.

I liked Sherlock Holmes too; its a bit like a wittier Bond movie with a tweed fetish. Guy Richie is still a twat though.

Don't know if its already been discussed but Encounters at the End of the World is fantastic, far more entertaining than a fairly serious documentary has any right to be.  Werner Herzog could probably direct romantic comedy and still be a genius.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Don't know if its already been discussed but Encounters at the End of the World is fantastic, far more entertaining than a fairly serious documentary has any right to be.  Werner Herzog could probably direct romantic comedy and still be a genius.

Nice one Creamtime, caught this on More4. I enjoyed him quizzing the penguin expert about gay and deranged penguins in his comedy accent and the volcano scientists deadpan safety talk. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
The Prestige - I FINALLY got around to seeing it the other week, and it was a rather classy film with a particularly good escalation of intensity. I do think it's value depends quite a bit on whether one has read the book (one of Christopher Priest's many excellent novels).  If one HAS read the book then it's a good film, if one HASN'T read the book then it's a great film, as it does rely quite a bit on the story (which isn't that much diluted AFAIK, and I forgot one of the twists anyway).

P.S. 2009 favs in order:

District 9
Watchmen
Let The Right One In

Can't think of any others?? Wanted to put TDK and Slumdog in but they're both 2008 IIRC??

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Pretty behind the times, but I've recently discovered Hayao Miyazaki's anime films. For Christmas someone got me Princess Mononoke which is in my opinion is absolutely brilliant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mononoke

Great story, eerily beautiful animation and soundtrack, all in all utterly transports you into the world of the film. I couldn't predict what was going to happen - at times it was pretty dark. I totally loved it.

My brother and I agreed that we could have watched it again immediately, which I think means it is a very good film.

Best films I saw in 2009 (though not necessarily OF 2009) were Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, District 9, No Country for Old Men.

Recently checked this list - which though I don't 100% agree with from the ones I have seen, I do think seems pretty good. Have added a lot of them to my Lovefilm list!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-films-of-the-00s,35931/1/

TobyD

• forum hero
Princess Mononoke which is in my opinion is absolutely brilliant.

Word. This is one of my favourite films full stop.  I think Japanese cinema seems to manage a degree of idealism and innocence that is currently absent from any Western films i can think of, without being horrifyingly sentimental. And its got cool demons.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, quick spoiler alert: it's not a Bollywood version of Moulin Rouge / Mama Mia I was expecting, it is pretty good though, maybe more so as it came so out of left field compared to what I thought it would be like.  ;D

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Saw Fifty Dead Men Walking last night, was very good i thought. It depicts the goings on in NI very well according to reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1097643/

cofe

• forum hero
I watched Slumdog Millionaire last night, quick spoiler alert: it's not a Bollywood version of Moulin Rouge / Mama Mia I was expecting, it is pretty good though, maybe more so as it came so out of left field compared to what I thought it would be like.  ;D

Safe. Saw it too for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. Wish I'd seen it at the flicks. Not what I was expecting either. Some of it was beautifully shot I thought.

ben

• obsessive maniac
bit of an old one, but saw 'the lives of others' last night. German film set in the former GDR, really good I thought.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Wish I'd seen it at the flicks. Not what I was expecting either. Some of it was beautifully shot I thought.
Yeah, I bet it was awesome on the big screen.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Just finished watching Angel-A directed by Luc Besson.  Beautifully shot in Paris in black and white with an excellent subtly humorous story line about someone who's down on their luck and gets a little help sorting things out.  :great:

Must have been shot very early in the morning for the streets to be so clear!

Had the pleasure of viewing this treat of a film this week. Really well shot (only realised it was B&W half way through the film!) with a strong narrative that really draws you in with a couple of good twists along the way. One of Luc Besson better flicks.

Paul B

• forum hero

agreed on that, really enjoyed it.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
we just saw avatar in 3d.maybe the best film i ever saw.will see the road next week

Eddies

• forum hero
I watched The Road last w/end. A very different film.
Almost like reading a book! There is very little dialogue, instead it relies on very very good cinematography and superb acting to tell the sad tale. A pretty emotional film. 7/10

Last night I watched the Moon. Another very very good film with a simple but superb story. 9/10

Dr T

• forum hero
Children of Men is on tonight
and that is an excellent film....

Paul B

• forum hero
Went to see Avatar 3D this afternoon. Visually stunning but extremely predictable and maybe should have been called Ferngully 3d instead?

The 3D tech made me feel a little nauseous to start with during some of the quicker action scenes but I think I settled into it about half way through. Colours, gunships etc. were fantastic but I didn't come out wowed by a film, more by the capabilities of animators these days.

Very long as well, is there any need its not as if the plot was deep.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched I'm a Cyborg, But thats OK over the weekend.

Funny and quirky, I really enjoyed it, and its beautifully shot.  :thumbsup:

Directed by Park Chan-wook of Oldboy/Sympathy for Mr/Lady Vengence.

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
Went to see Avatar 3D this afternoon. Visually stunning but extremely predictable and maybe should have been called Ferngully 3d instead?

The 3D tech made me feel a little nauseous to start with during some of the quicker action scenes but I think I settled into it about half way through. Colours, gunships etc. were fantastic but I didn't come out wowed by a film, more by the capabilities of animators these days.

Very long as well, is there any need its not as if the plot was deep.

wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.

I'm a bit bored of CGI to be honest, would much rather watch real actors "acting" (isn't that the point of the movies? I'm definitely with Cheeta on that score).

Sig Weaver's Avatar actually started me off in hysterics - looked like the big-breasted college girl version of her (that she wished she still was?).

The above review of the Road has me very interested. sounds much more like my kind of thing

edit: and i didn't think the 3d was that great tbh, like they hadn't made the most of it? 1 scene after the felling of the "home tree" (please...) where the ash was falling through the forest looked cool, but otherwise meh

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Saw the road last night. Don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a bit of a Yawn fest really. I wasn't entertained and I emerged feeling miserable and genuinely concerned about the £14 I'd wasted on the tickets.

TobyD

• forum hero
Daybreakers - i thought it was a flawed, but reasonably intelligent and very entertaining vampire movie.  Some great touches, and the vampire police state senario was nicely drawn.  Imagine blade runner meets blade meets bad taste with a bit of event horizon. There you go.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Imagine blade runner meets blade meets bad taste with a bit of event horizon. There you go.
Gosh errr. Classic if weird cyberpunk meets overrated flashy nonsense meets hilarious gore meets a genuinely freak horror movie. Not sure what that adds up to but I think I'd check it out!

Edit: Sounds good from Rottentomatoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal