UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139965 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
another excellent film from the past re watched today
Escape from New York
dated - yes
Kurt Russell playing himself - as ever
over the top direction - it's a John Carpenter...
verdict - damn fine entertainment

Dr T

• forum hero
which reminds me saw Sabata one afternoon a few weeks ago
excellent film
(both star the genius of Lee van Cleef)

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
I watched Gran Torino last night and can recommend it. One of the better films I've seen this year.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Good heavens Gran Tourino blew satans' cock from start to finish.  It's drivvel.  You must've seen some dire films this year BB.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
I'm only going to see it to see how Hermione is 'coming along'.
Pissed myself when I read this (actually I snorted coffee down my nose).

Anth

• regular
went to see harry bastard potter with our lass

it

was

shite!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Very keen to see both these films next year, the trailers look great; & both in 3D so no crappy cam torrents too (not that I've ever seen a cam rip, but the industry does seem to be paranoid about them).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Heard about Alice last night, and Tim Burton was saying he wants to imbue more of a storyline to it rather than it being a series of relatively random events.

Not sure if thats really going to work though, as personally I like disjointed quirkiness of the original books.

Only one way to find out though, and I've generally liked most of Burton's films.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
Watched Ice Age 3 in 3D a couple of day's ago. I went in expecting red and green glasses and came out amazed. The Pterodactyl sequence towards the end was jaw droppingly brilliant  :jaw:

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
Good heavens Gran Tourino blew satans' cock from start to finish.  It's drivvel.  You must've seen some dire films this year BB.

Funnily enough, Yes! This year has been utter shit in the film department. Capped off by the utter arse-grave that was transformers. Loose stool water from start to finish.

I guess my standards have unknowingly dropped.

Dr T

• forum hero
V for Vendetta is on BBC three right now
fucking amazing film...

Anth

• regular
yes yes yes, V is fucking reet good

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Watched 'The Hangover' tonight. Funny. Worth seeing. Clever, quite subtle in places, nicely done, less crass than I was expecting, quite a lot of laugh out loud moments and some genius lines.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Watched 'The Hangover' tonight. Funny. Worth seeing. Clever, quite subtle in places, nicely done, less crass than I was expecting, quite a lot of laugh out loud moments and some genius lines.

Agreed, was going to post about this one today. 3.5 out of 5 i reckon. Wasn't what i was expecting.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero

Agreed, was going to post about this one today. 3.5 out of 5 i reckon. Wasn't what i was expecting.
Forgot the mention the 'HG' Factor, not quite 'Boogie Nights' but still an added bonus.  :thumbsup:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Brüno.

Hilarious, often really unsettling; better, more dangerous than Borat.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Continuing my list of classics not yet seen I had the pleasure of viewing the cinematographic great that is Lawrence of Arabia. Why did I wait so long to watch this? It is a long film, especially the directors version I watched, but even the long desert scenes with no dialogue are just stunning and captivating. It even has an old style 'Intermission' part way through the dvd complete with black screen and background music - should have organised an ice cream lady!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

Take half an hour or so to watch these parts of Crackheads Gone Wild. 
You've never seen anything like this.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Here's #5.  Well  worth it, for Tony, at the end.  Touching.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Soul Power

This is sort-of a prequil to the magnificent When We Were Kings (about the 1974 Ali-Foreman " Rumble in the Jungle"); the two would make a great double-bill.

It's a documentary set around the concert that Stewart Levine, Hugh Masekela, and promoter Don King put on as part of the lead-up to the big fight.  They wanted African American (mostly) artists to perform in Africa and some of the film is about the varying responses of the Americans to Zaire: for some it is a homecoming, for others pan-Africanism is just another way to make a buck.   It doesn't pull any punches in showing the wheeling and dealing in getting the show set up.  There is also some excellent footage of Ali training for the fight, blazingly charismatic.   

The performances are from people like James Brown (on top form), BB King, Detroit Spinners, The Crusaders, Celia Cruz, Sister Sledge, Miriam Makeba, and Bill Withers (a great surprise if all you know is 'Lovely Day').  Lovely 70s colours in the film stock and the fashions on show.   On limited cinema release and looking and sounding great on a big screen.  I just wished it had been a bit longer.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Inglorious bastards was good classic tarantino, very funny with one of the best bad guys you'll see this year.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Soul Power

This is sort-of a prequil to the magnificent When We Were Kings (about the 1974 Ali-Foreman " Rumble in the Jungle"); the two would make a great double-bill.

It's a documentary set around the concert that Stewart Levine, Hugh Masekela, and promoter Don King put on as part of the lead-up to the big fight.  They wanted African American (mostly) artists to perform in Africa and some of the film is about the varying responses of the Americans to Zaire: for some it is a homecoming, for others pan-Africanism is just another way to make a buck.   It doesn't pull any punches in showing the wheeling and dealing in getting the show set up.  There is also some excellent footage of Ali training for the fight, blazingly charismatic.  

The performances are from people like James Brown (on top form), BB King, Detroit Spinners, The Crusaders, Celia Cruz, Sister Sledge, Miriam Makeba, and Bill Withers (a great surprise if all you know is 'Lovely Day').  Lovely 70s colours in the film stock and the fashions on show.   On limited cinema release and looking and sounding great on a big screen.  I just wished it had been a bit longer.

Good call Duncan, When We Were Kings is excellent. Is their much concert footage, I heard it was a bit disappointing. And more importantly, does everyone still refer to James Brown as 'James Brown, soul brother no 1'?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
"When We Were Kings" is brilliant, the bit that lingers most though is the footage of the "Thrilla In Manilla" in the DVD extras.  It's like a snuff-movie version of Rocky: brutal, vicious but utterly compelling fighting from two all time greats who plainly hated one another.  Ali won but said that it was "the closest thing to dying".  Its just a shame that it took such a beating for Ali to realize how churlishly he'd treated Frazier given the support Joe had given his family.  Strange to think, now that he's been canonized as a living martyr to boxing and given his refusal to fight in Vietnam ("no Vietcong ever called me a n....") that Ali made some horribly racist statements about both Foreman and Frazier and even merrily addressed the KKK about the desirability of racial separation!   

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Shifty is brilliant, Shifty, a young crack cocaine dealer in London, sees his life quickly spiral out of control when his best friend returns home. Stalked by a customer desperate to score at all costs, and with his family about to turn their back on him for good, Shifty must out-run and out-smart a rival drug dealer, intent on setting him up for a big fall. As his long time friend Chris, confronts the dark past he left behind him, Shifty is forced to face up to the violent future he's hurtling towards. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104126/ sorry if it's already been mentioned.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Watched The Hurt Locker yesterday - brilliant film, defo lived up to the 5-star rating that Peter Bradshaw gave it in Friday's Guardian.

It's a real nerve shredder - throughout the bomb disposal scenes the tension is cranked up ve-e-e-r-r-y slowly until you're on the edge of your seat. There characterisation is excellent for a film that is essentially lots of short stories about incidents in a war, and there's a great moral ambiguity to the lead character.

Highly recommended.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal