UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139465 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watched 'Kenny' tonight... Mocumentry about an Ozzie bloke who maintains porta-loo's... Really Funny

"There's another classic example of someone having a two inch arsehole and us having installed only one inch piping"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822389/

Hilarious film, favourite quote is...

Quote from: Kenny
This is the busiest time of year, this is a crazy time, it just goes bonkers. It's as silly as a bum full of smarties.

...but there are so many good ones...

Funny part is parents look at me and say 'that's not much of a job, is it?'. And I say 'well you had kids'. 'You spent the first two years handling their shit, and you weren't getting paid for that'. They shit green, the only things that should be green are pears, apples and Martians.

There's a smell in here that will outlast religion.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Agree with the props for Kenny - I rented it based on the recommendations here and really liked it.  Far more than just a collection of funny/crude lines it was also oddly touching, yet without being mawkish. A proper low-key gem: no-budget and a unprepossessing subject, but a decent script, likeable characters and a lot of heart.  Basically the total opposite of:

Terminator Salvation - No doubt there are (or will be) entire websites devoted to the idiocy of this film.  You know the kind of thing: why does the pitiless machine intelligence of Skynet manufacture killing machines that so resemble motorbikes, they can be ridden by anyone with a Sony PDA?  Why does Skynet have all of it's security systems accessible via a handy English-language graphical user interface?  How, after a surprise nuclear Holocaust and 14 years of total warfare, have the resistance kept a fleet of A10 Tankbusters and helicopters in the air?  Why ferchristsake does an otherwise bare metal terminator wear a fetching bandanna?! 

This might appear like nitpicking, especially compared to the gaping plot holes and the inconguiities with the earlier films.  But, to be honest going beyond such trivialities would actually involve some degree of analysis and to be honest it's not worth it.  The biggest fault of Terminator Salvation is that it didn't make me care enough to get properly annoyed: it's just too dull, stupid and disposable for that.  I can barely remember the plot - my memory is just a melange of Christian Bale's growly Batman voice and lots of explosions.  Most of the scenes are like those memories that you are uncertain as to whether you dreamt them.  Was there really an oddly wise, mute child, or am I getting confused with Mad Max 2... or Aliens for that matter?  Although, comparing it with those two films is more than it deserves, Battlefield Earth is a more apt comparison.  Anyway, who cares... the important thing to me is that McG has shat upon some fond childhood memories.  I dread to think what'll he do for an encore, perhaps come round and tell me Bilbo Baggins was a paedophile?

I had a far better time watching Drag Me To Hell.  It's a proper horror-comedy: rather than a post-modern effort like a Scream or Buffy - where the horror is an accompaniment to an ironic, quip-laden script.  Instead, the comedy is actually intrinsic to the horrible scenes; many of which resemble a visceral version of an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon (or a gorier version of the frying-pan fights out of Reeves and Mortimer).  I did a hell of a lot of jumping in shock, laughing afterwards... and then looking around to see whether anyone noticed (and hoping that I didn't embarrass myself by yelping).  It doesn't pretend to be meaningful but, if you're a fan of the likes of The Evil Dead, it's very well done: funny, scary and at times refreshingly unpredictable.  It probably cost as much to make as the catering budget on Terminator Salvation, but was made by enthusiasts with an appreciation and love of their genre (and the endless comic possibilities of bodily fluids).  Definitely one to see on the big screen though; I suspect, like most visual horrors, it's impact was heavily dependent on the darkness and forced attention focus you get at the cinema.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Amores Perros  :bow:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Once more I've given up looking for the youtube / film thread, so I'm sticking this here

You'll need 90mins to watch this gem.

Please can we have the most popular threads stickied please?  It happens in the bouldering forums, it's no big deal in culture, is it? 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
By the way, I recommend you watch the above not embedded here but at the mothership where it's it's large screen HD.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
By the way, I recommend you watch the above not embedded here but at the mothership where it's it's large screen HD.

Links...

Home looks interesting. YouTube Project page

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
I had a far better time watching Drag Me To Hell.  It's a proper horror-comedy: rather than a post-modern effort like a Scream or Buffy - where the horror is an accompaniment to an ironic, quip-laden script.

I thought it was excellent. Every time it started to get a bit too scary and serious, there was a bit of army of darkness-esque slapstick thrown in which lightened the mood. It was a proper rollercoaster ride of fear and laughter. I mean, who secures an anvil to the ceiling of their shed by a complicated rope setup?! You knew exactly what was going do happen, but when it did you still guffawed like a moron.

That said, there were some properly scary bits in it. Shocks galore and the missus spent the first 20-30 minutes hiding behind her hands.

Also, I don't know if it was just the cinema we went to, but the film was seriously loud.

Go and see it...NOW.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I read McVicars' autobiog some years ago; he's half-interesting.  On the subject of Prison film,

Bronson.

:)

30 out of 34 years incarcerated in solitary.

james

• obsessive maniac
Reminds me of this

Watched Kenny last week - what a film...

chappers

• forum hero
Die Welle ("the wave").

i watched this the other night. i thought it was brilliant, watch it!

it is based on a true story from california where a teacher tried to teach his class about fascism, but it all went horribly wrong. it has been set in germany for extra historical guilt nastiness. a very intriguing story and very well adapted to film.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Reminds me of this

Watched Kenny last week - what a film...

Thats fucking brilliant  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
I read McVicars' autobiog some years ago; he's half-interesting.  On the subject of Prison film,

Bronson.

:)

30 out of 34 years incarcerated in solitary.

Read his book? I've not seen the film but the books interesting... He now has a new keep yourself fit book which apparently is a best seller!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I've been well well dissapointed by the cinema recently.

terminator 4 ----- why wasn't it an 18 then they could have made the terminators scary again, it was basically a bit poo.

the hangover ------ couldn't see what all the hype was a bout to be honest one of those films that tries really hard to be funny but ultimatley just isn't though i can see how the appeal could be lost on me.

transfromers ----- just well long and mostly quite boring abd wtf was that old british transformer all about

lets just hope mann can pull it out of the bag with public enemies.

tomtom

• forum hero
Saw angels and Demons last night (I know I'm a bit late) and thought it was OK - a bit cringeworthy in places (well more than one..) but stacks better than Da Vinci Code..  Probably worth enduring even if you are a Tom Hanks disliked like myself...

superfurrymonkey

• junky
Max Manus is another cracking film from the Netherlands. The true story about one of the most brilliant saboteurs during World War II and his battle to overcome his inner demons.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/

Dr T

• forum hero
watched city on fire last night
rather dated but still excellent
can see the bits that "inspired" reservoir dogs very easily
not as good as the killer which has the same lead actors
Chow Yun Fat is a legend...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

:agree: All the John Woo movies with him in before all the Hollywood nonce sense and Crouching Tiger Ninja Monk are excellent, almost bought a copy of Hard Boiled on DVD the other day as I only ever had it on VHS, ditto for A Better Tomorrow (which appears it may be being remade).

Also, in a related vein, connected by the actor Tony Leung who's in Hard Boiled as a baddie, and is in these as a cop trying to do the right thing.

The Infernal Affairs Infernal Affairs II and Infernal Affairs III trilogy are pretty good too.

Oh and for pure hilarity Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle can't be beaten (his Shaolin Soccer is pretty good too).

Dr T

• forum hero

:agree: All the John Woo movies with him in before all the Hollywood nonce sense and Crouching Tiger Ninja Monk are excellent, almost bought a copy of Hard Boiled on DVD the other day as I only ever had it on VHS, ditto for A Better Tomorrow (which appears it may be being remade).

Also, in a related vein, connected by the actor Tony Leung who's in Hard Boiled as a baddie, and is in these as a cop trying to do the right thing.

The Infernal Affairs Infernal Affairs II and Infernal Affairs III trilogy are pretty good too.

Oh and for pure hilarity Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle can't be beaten (his Shaolin Soccer is pretty good too).

hippy love in time  :agree: with all that....  :hug:

Dr T

• forum hero
on the theme of excellent asian cinima I very much enjoyed the host - came to mind as I loaded up a mate's lovefilm account with all the types of movies his ex would disapprove of  ;D

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Went to the Showroom the other weekend and watched 'The Hush' - a brilliant British made thriller, would highly recommend it.

Basically, a chap and his lass are driving up the M1 and end up behind a truck whose back pops open to reveal a distressed girl, chained in a cage. Shit gets crazy after that.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty fucking scary.  ;D

superfurrymonkey

• junky
On the verge! In 2004 a group of Brighton peace campaigners began to bang pots and pans outside their local arms manufacturers EDO MBM in disgust of their part in the Iraq war. This has grown into the Smash EDO campaign, which has cost the company millions, been the subject of large scale police operations and has tested the right to protest in the UK.

Using activist, police and CCTV footage plus interviews with those involved in the campaign, On The Verge tells the story of one of the most persistent and imaginative campaigns to emerge out of the UK's anti-war movement and direct action scene. Download it here http://www.smashedo.org.uk/  :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal