UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139405 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Not seen it yet, but for fans of the wrestler JCVD sounds awesome!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That sounds amazing.

Stubbs

I'm glad some people actually enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire - it was far too saccharin for my tastes, even with the dirt of the slums thrown in, and I found the narrative device tedious after about two questions.  Some of the cinematography was really good though, especially the early stuff in the slums.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Has anybody any experience of using Lovefilm.com? I'm thinking of getting the unlimited 2 dvds at a time monthly thing. Worth the moolah?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
Slumdog Millionaire
I admit that these factors could be ruinous for the determinedly grumpy

Stubbs - you walked straight into that one

i did enjoy it, despite not thinking it quite did justice to the book it was based on (not read it but i did hear a radio adaptation in May or June last year that helped the daily commute to Lincoln more bearable).

some faults (aren't there always?) but it's entertainment after all, and you can dissect and find fault/reason to hate in almost anything if you're that way inclined.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Has anybody any experience of using Lovefilm.com? I'm thinking of getting the unlimited 2 dvds at a time monthly thing. Worth the moolah?

Used to get the same thing from Blockbuster. It was good. Then a small child came along and we realised we hardly ever had time to watch films so cancelled it.

Stubbs

Slumdog Millionaire
I admit that these factors could be ruinous for the determinedly grumpy

Stubbs - you walked straight into that one

Hey man I walked into that cinema with open heart and open mind - it just wasn't as good as Titanic that's all!

Dr T

• forum hero

Used to get the same thing from Blockbuster. It was good. Then a small child came along and we realised we hardly ever had time to watch films so cancelled it.

have used it for a couple of years, do get films but very often we get TV series like house and CSI etc
means you don't have to stay in to watch TV etc, especially good with both a nipper and climbing to fit in..
very good service only craps out abit round xmas but that aside highly recomend Lovefilm...

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
This film was mentioned on this thread back in 2007 but having watched it this week I can strongly recommend it - Amores Perros. 3 independant stories linked by one car crash. It is a long film, but well worth the it.

I've got The lives of Others and Night Watch to watch this week courtesy of Lovefilm.com, and seeing as I am now signed up I'll be reading this thread for some top film beta!

Dr T

• forum hero
Night Watch
if you liked that check out 30 days of night.. awesome comic series, excellent film

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Well, you can get a month trial for no moolah, and judge for yourself.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475169/

Anyone seen 13 Tzameti?  Check out the trailer, it looks like a tense film.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Anyone seen 13 Tzameti?  Check out the trailer, it looks like a tense film.

Yep, have seen it (I think based on a recomendation way back in this thread).

It is indeed very tense and well worth watching.  Very strange twist of events that lead through to the main plot.

I believe part of it was filmed in everyone's favourite forrest (although it doesn't feature any bouldering).

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
What?  Sherwood Forest? 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
What?  Sherwood Forest? 

Exactly, ain't no rocks worth climbing in Sherwood! I'll no doubt be eating my words shortly

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

What Jasper said - once you start paying monthly, you really need to have the time on your hands to plough through some films to make it worthwhile, though if you're laid up at the moment I'm guessing you have?

Incidentally, I had a subscription a couple of years back when I lived in Derby and then cancelled it when I realised I wasn't making the best use of it. Lovefilm offered me a reduced subscription to stay on, twice I think, so it might be worth paying for a little while, then cancelling it and seeing if you could get it cheaper.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Oh, and I've just got in from seeing Milk - biopic of Harvey Milk, gay / human rights activist.

Well worth a watch - the narrative is maintained brilliantly throughout, and the key players turn in excellent performances, Sean Penn especially. Not normally my sort of thing but I really enjoyed it.

If you're Sheffield based, they're showing Martyrs next weekend - a new french horror that's apparently had people up in arms / walking out of cinemas because it's so full-on. They're also showing Don't Look Now as part of their anti-Valentine's programme.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Anyone seen 13 Tzameti?  Check out the trailer, it looks like a tense film.

Yep, have seen it (I think based on a recomendation way back in this thread).

It is indeed very tense and well worth watching.  Very strange twist of events that lead through to the main plot.

Seen it too. Quite harrowing to watch, but a great premise and has an excellent style to it.

andy popp

• forum hero
I thought Milk was great too, fantastic performance from Penn. I always like Van Sant's low key directing.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Whilst lying in bed with flu in Argentiere last week I waded my way through my mates collection of vampire films.

The ones that stick in my mind are...

Rise (2007)
I liked this as it was a bit different. Lucy Liu plays a victim turned vampire out for revenge (along with a fat alcoholic cop whose daughter was raped and killed by the vamps) against the freaks who fucked her up. I liked the fact that the vampires (they never actually get called vampires in the film) don't have fangs and have to use a knife to cut their victims before sucking down - this made the whole act a little more thought provoking than the usual kiss-on-the-neck thing. The scenes where Liu had to reluctantly succumb to her need for blood were done well and added interest to the plot. Oh and Liu gets her kit off too  :thumbsup:

Dracula 2001 (2000)
So bad its good. What amused me most was seeing Captain Von Trapp from The Sound of Music playing Van Helsing. It took me about half an hour before i realised that the younger hero was the same bloke who plays Eli Stone which just added to my general amusement. The action is split between London and New Oleans, which worked for me.

Frostbitten (2006)
Watched the Swedish (original?) version of this so I'm sure that I missed some of the plot, but not much. Some good kills mixed in with some original ideas. Main new concept was the pills manufactured by the ex-SS research doctor who is himself a vampire. A load of youths get hold of the pills and mayhem follows. I did plenty of giggling at the talking dog scenes and feel sure that these would have been even better if I could understand what was said. The end was a bit shit, but then I didn't understand what was said in those important last minutes. I'd like to watch it in English now.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
If you haven't already then go and see Milk.

Now.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Gomorrah, Italian flm based on a book of the same name. Its about low and mid level members of the Camorra and the short, nasty, grim lives they live.
The guy who wrote it, an investigative journalist, is now in protective custody.
Awsome

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Didn't really enjoy Gomorrah, I thought the plot was a bit too fragmented  :shrug:

Dr T

• forum hero

Dracula 2001 (2000)
So bad its good. What amused me most was seeing Captain Von Trapp from The Sound of Music playing Van Helsing. It took me about half an hour before i realised that the younger hero was the same bloke who plays Eli Stone which just added to my general amusement. The action is split between London and New Oleans, which worked for me.

yes, quite terrible but very enjoyable... isn't 7 of 9 in it too.... answered my own question.. yes she is... and foreman from house...

on vampire films have I mentioned how much I love 30 days of night..... awesome film.... everyone should see it...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal