UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139475 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Keen to see "Burn After Reading" - reviews sound good.

Ena

• addict
    • cadreweb
My daughter is a projectionist and a Coen fan, and watched Burn in preview. It's good, but not their best. That still makes it pretty feckin good. I actually won tickets to a preview but couldn't go. Instead was treated to a free (thankfully) 'mystery film' which turned out to be The House Bunny! Our 14 year old male guest really liked it. Hmm. My step dad was with us and despite laughing (it does have some good jokes spead very thin) wanted to 'put a brick through the screen'. Old people today eh.

Maybe my luck will change and I'll actually get to see a good film soon.

Kingy

• forum hero
Saw Pineapple Express last night after Burn After Reading sold out. What a total gong show! This is one of the worst films I have seen in a long time. Don't touch with a very long barge pole. Potentially funny in places but constant tales of dope heads and aimless antics for a full 2 hours destroy any merit it may have had.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Burn After Reading:  Funny moments abound but I found it an oddly unsatisfying experience.  Strange incidents of violence and tragedy interupt the silliness and seem to disrupt the accumulation of suspended disbelief necessary to fully enjoy it.  Unlike in the Coen's other, superior screwball comedies, such as "Raising Arizona" and "Oh Brother Where Art Thou", I found the character's too unsympathetic for my interest to survive such jarring moments and the convolutions of the plot.

Admittedly, if I were to see this with no fore-knowledge, I might be raving about the sly visual gags and inspired stupidity.   But, being aware of the back catalogue, my gratitude for 96 minutes of painless entertainment was rapidly subsumed by disappointment.  Seeing any Coen brothers' film is far from a waste of time, but most of what's worthwhile about this could probably have been compiled into a 30 minute clipshow. 

Gomorrah:  A film so different from "Burn After Reading" that it seems scarcely credible that they belong to the same medium and compete for the same awards.  It is a long and distressing snapshot of how lives in a Naples housing project are dominated, and often terminated by the Cammorra (the Neopolitan equivalent of the Cosa Nostra).  The film examines the impact of organised crime at every level: juvenile look-outs; ambitious young men trying to make a name; burnouts just trying to get by until retirement.  The suited and sauve face of the Cammorra brokering EU-wide waste disposal deals that result in toxic waste being transported by children and dumped on farmland. 

There's no real narrative; the stories don't intersect in any cleverly pat manner.  Instead there's a building sense of pity, distress and anger.  As an insight into modern organised crime, in all it's tawdry, unglamorous horror, Gommorrah is well worth watching.  But, it's not an easy ride and I would hesitate to describe it as "entertainment".  Its essence is this: remember the ending of "City of God" - the only sympathetic character is dead, and you see children committing a murder and starting anew the cycle of violence?  Well, imagine that sense of utter hopelessness extended for over two hours......

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
  Well, imagine that sense of utter hopelessness extended for over two hours......

Can't wait.  There's nowhere near enough nihilism in modern cinema.

Eddies

• forum hero
I watched Hellboy2 Sunday and was impressed.
Loads of ace characters, some great special effects and not too over the top.

A good sunday brain-out film!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Gomorrah:  A film so different from "Burn After Reading" that it seems scarcely credible that they belong to the same medium and compete for the same awards.  It is a long and distressing snapshot of how lives in a Naples housing project are dominated, and often terminated by the Cammorra (the Neopolitan equivalent of the Cosa Nostra).  The film examines the impact of organised crime at every level: juvenile look-outs; ambitious young men trying to make a name; burnouts just trying to get by until retirement.  The suited and sauve face of the Cammorra brokering EU-wide waste disposal deals that result in toxic waste being transported by children and dumped on farmland. 

There's no real narrative; the stories don't intersect in any cleverly pat manner.  Instead there's a building sense of pity, distress and anger.  As an insight into modern organised crime, in all it's tawdry, unglamorous horror, Gommorrah is well worth watching.  But, it's not an easy ride and I would hesitate to describe it as "entertainment".  Its essence is this: remember the ending of "City of God" - the only sympathetic character is dead, and you see children committing a murder and starting anew the cycle of violence?  Well, imagine that sense of utter hopelessness extended for over two hours......

I agree. I saw it last week and found it uncomfortable, and a bit too realistic - think the amount of handheld camera in it made it feel less narrative, more documentary. I'd certainly recommend seeing it, it's a considered, very well made film...though not first date material if you get me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
My mate Dragon Pete kindly showed me a fantastic Russian fantasy film called Night Watch. It is excellent. It is the product of giving a bunch of Russian film makers a great plot and three million quid. I am surprised that i hadn't heard of it before. Best fantasy film I've ever seen. My head is still reeling from it  :bow:

Can't wait to see Day Watch (although it's supposed to be less good).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Saw Pineapple Express last night after Burn After Reading sold out. What a total gong show! This is one of the worst films I have seen in a long time. Don't touch with a very long barge pole. Potentially funny in places but constant tales of dope heads and aimless antics for a full 2 hours destroy any merit it may have had.
Watched this last night from my sick sofa/bed and found it quite funny, but then again I like those stupid stoner type films helped by the fact I used to be a stoner I think

Plattsy

• forum hero

Tis true I'm afraid. The lass int video shop reckoned there's a third film to come although I always thought there was only two.

Best fantasy film I've ever seen. My head is still reeling from it  :bow:

Have you seen Pan's Labrynth?

Has Wanted been mentioned? Saw it last week and it made me laugh out loud. Not sure whether it is trying to be funny but it certainly got me. I think that someone had been overdosing on their imagination pills and bullet time special effects. Avoid if you like your action slightly believable.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"

Tis true I'm afraid. The lass int video shop reckoned there's a third film to come although I always thought there was only two.

Best fantasy film I've ever seen. My head is still reeling from it  :bow:

Have you seen Pan's Labrynth?

Has Wanted been mentioned? Saw it last week and it made me laugh out loud. Not sure whether it is trying to be funny but it certainly got me. I think that someone had been overdosing on their imagination pills and bullet time special effects. Avoid if you like your action slightly believable.

There is a third Watch due next year called Twilight Watch - It is being filmed in the US and will alegedly be in english  :-\

I liked Pan's Labia, but not as much as Night Watch.

I watched Wanted earlier in the week - I thought the story was great and enjoyed the beyond-belief action. I thought wotserface with the lips was shit in it.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Twilight Watch - It is being filmed in the US and will alegedly be in english  :-\

:thumbsdown:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I liked Pan's Labia, but not as much as Night Watch.
Who's pan then?

SA Chris

• forum hero
Anyone seen Waltz with Bashir anywhere yet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/

Looks interesting.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Have to agree with moose concerning Burn After Reading. The unexpected violence seemed totally out of context with the narrative. 6.5 on 10 I reckon.

Rice Boy

• stalker
I thought the violence/tragedy in Burn After Reading was refreshing, the reason for which I don't think I can explain without giving too much of the plot away. 

The first bit came as a full on shock to me after which I thought the tragedy was played out very well alongside the humour. I would agree that it's not totally satisfying but I enjoyed that (?).  Perhaps too much sugar too late??

7.5/10

Moose: I enjoy your reviews  :-*

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I saw max payne the other i day i thought it was pretty poor and i'm a big fan of the game i just cant seem to kick my prejudice against mark whalberg

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched In Bruges at the weekend. Best film I've seen in ages. I had a vague recollection that someone had written a review of it on here before and it turned out to be our resident critic moose.......

In Bruges
http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/
A black comedy about two hitmen hiding in Bruges: bad-temperedly enduring the tourist-trail whilst awaiting instructions from the boss.  A bizarre hybrid of Sexy Beast style scabrous low-life gangsterisms and Father Ted-esque whimsy ("you can't give a dwarf ketamine...begorrah!").  I really liked this film, the two leads play-off each other entertainingly with the hangdog Brendan Gleason dragging the sulky unwilling Colin Farrell to examine medieval architecture when he just wants to pull and get pissed (though not on "gay" Belgian beer!).  Despite their professions, past deeds, and predilliction for violence the characters are sufficiently likeable that I almost wanted it to play Odd Couple style for the entire duration.  However, I guess a film must have a plot so events escalate in tragi-comic fashion with the whimsy partly sacrificed for action.  Still, it's a very entertaining ride and probably the best film I have seen at the cinema for a good few months; deliberating on its faults has made me realise just how much of it was right.  The acting is generally top-notch, as whilst Fienne's gangster cameo isn't entirely convincing Brendan Gleason is predictably superb and Colin Farrell's portrayal sufficient that it actually makes amends for "Alexander".  Which is high praise indeed, as rereading a review of mine for that travesty on this thread made me realise . His character is sulky, impulsive and basically bad, yet also funny, sensitive, and oddly rather sympathetic.  Strange that really... who would have thought that Farrell would make a better Dublin gobshite than a 330BC Macedonian tactical genius?!  If only that had occurred to Oliver Stone... the pain that might have been saved... I reckon in the future Alexander will be the subject of filmmakers' ire in the same manner Vietnam was for Oliver Stone ("Alexander is hell: the first casualty of Farrell is credibility").

I have nothing to add except that even if it wasn't a top film it would be worth watching for one scene alone involving cocainie, prostitutes and a racist dwarf. See it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Now that's a coincidence - I watched In Bruges on saturday afternoon too. Thought it was excellent for all the points given  above, apart from  thought the ending was slightly contrived.

Eddies

• forum hero

Terminator 4 Teaser

Looks dark (like they should be) lets hope they make a good job of this one!

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Now that's a coincidence - I watched In Bruges on saturday afternoon too. Thought it was excellent for all the points given  above, apart from  thought the ending was slightly contrived.

saw in bruges a couple of months ago and also was pleasantly surprised. The scene when the tower attendant was poking fiennes nearly killed me laughing. and the obviously poinient scene with brendan gleeson in the tower made the film for me.

Saw Napolean Dynamite yesterday and enjoyed it but strangely cannot quite put my finger on why. Think it was probably the failed characters.

Cheers
Tim

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Caught a trailer last night on Film 4 that they are showing a series of five Argentinian films that looked interesting.  Starts next Tuesday with El Aura.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
Caught a trailer last night on Film 4 that they are showing a series of five Argentinian films that looked interesting.  Starts next Tuesday with El Aura.

awesome that sounds jus up my street as im learning spanish (poorly) at the moment.

Tim

SA Chris

• forum hero
I'm halfway through watching Rennaissance that was on Film 4 last week. The animation style is excellent (all B&W), not totally convinced about storyline yet. Worth catching if/when it is repeated.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched 'Nugget' or 'The Nugget' last week which is an Australian comedy starring Eric Bana about three mates who find a giant gold nugget which then subsequently goes missing and they all fall out with one another and then make up. I like Australian films 'cos they are a little bit different in a way that I can't describe and this was no exception. If it was made in the US it would have been rubbish but I really enjoyed it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal