UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139716 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Well having enjoyed:
The sixth sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
and managed to vaguely stay awake throughout lady in the water... my lady and I decided to go and see "the Happening" last night. Which was a mistake.
Mark Wahlberg is painfully bad in it. The plot is thin and the gore isn't carried out well, at all. What a waste of an evening. It was toss, the last minute was reminiscent of his previous twists but you can see it coming a mile off and well it just isn't good. Anybody else seen it?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I don't know if someone (Houdini) posted something about Du Levande already, but I watched it last night. I guess it won't be everyone's cup of tea, and I won't pretend to be high brow and understand every subtle nuance in every seen, but I did enjoy it. I enjoyed it in the sense it made me sad, but perhaps it was the philosophy of the ideology of the film, and that I've also just finished reading Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. They're somewhat related, but that's another point entirely.

If you are into films that leave a lot in the eye of the beholder, but present you with ideas some what subtly, then I think you'll enjoy Du Levande. It's certainly a very sparse film, so if you don't like it you'll only waste 20mins before you probably turn it off.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Has uncle been tattooing her arm?

There are only 10 different types of people......

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Saw Seraphim Falls the other day - not bad at all. Brooding western revenge/chase. Gets suddenly rather surreal at the end - can see it may annoy some but I really enjoyed it.

Mentioned this a few pages back.  Best film of 08 for me.  Along w/ The Assassination of Jesse James (another western) which the OST is well worth going out of your way to find.

I watched the Assassination of JJ last Friday on DVD.  Well worth seeing...

Paul B

• forum hero
Well having enjoyed:
The sixth sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
and managed to vaguely stay awake throughout lady in the water... my lady and I decided to go and see "the Happening" last night. Which was a mistake.
Mark Wahlberg is painfully bad in it. The plot is thin and the gore isn't carried out well, at all. What a waste of an evening. It was toss, the last minute was reminiscent of his previous twists but you can see it coming a mile off and well it just isn't good. Anybody else seen it?

I forgot to mention that in one scene i'm pretty sure a boom microphone appears in the shot.  :thumbsdown:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Saw Seraphim Falls the other day - not bad at all. Brooding western revenge/chase. Gets suddenly rather surreal at the end - can see it may annoy some but I really enjoyed it.

Mentioned this a few pages back.  Best film of 08 for me.  Along w/ The Assassination of Jesse James (another western) which the OST is well worth going out of your way to find.

:agree: i reckon these are both excellent, though i thought serpahim falls was a bit better than jesse james but maybe thats just because of the slightly more original storyline.

Plattsy

• forum hero

:agree: i reckon these are both excellent, though i thought serpahim falls was a bit better than jesse james but maybe thats just because of the slightly more original storyline.

Very good film indeed. Kinda turned into a docu-story at the end which I liked alot.

Watched Cloverfield which has already been mentioned. Really enjoyed this film even though moments reminded me of Blairwitch.

Rented In the Hands of Gods the other night. Knew what it was about and I was completely blown away. Excellent documentary and unusually I was even inspired to watch all the extras too (which is unlike me).

Watched Lost in Space on the Tv the other day and forgot how much I liked it. Yeah its not great but I always watched the series as a kid (along with Land of the Giants) so the film has always appealed. Set up for a sequel which never materialised.

I'm in a strangley positive mood today.....  :-\

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Watched a few films recently

On the way to Font I stopped at a Formule 1 and ended up watching a couple of films with the manager, who is studying film at uni.

First one was On The Doll, which I had never heard of. IMBD has the simple description "A story of the victims of child abuse, and the pain it visits upon their later lives", which it is. It explores the stories of several young adults who are or have been the victims of sexual exploitation - not normally the type of thing that one would watch as a form of entertainment. The film cuts between the various stories and ends up linking them together a bit like Pulp Fiction. I liked the way the characters developed and interacted. I don't remember any explicit nudity and overall found the film very absorbing. Its never going to win any Oscars, but I liked the way it made me think about the issues and people involved. Many people will not like this film at all.

The second film was Chantal. This was so bad it was good. A genre I have never come across - either a heavily plot laden soft pr0n film (with the appropriate level of acting), or a really shit attempt at telling the story of a wannabe actress suffering sexual exploitation in hollywood. Very odd.

I also watched Zombie Strippers - it is exactly what you would expect. A must for all fans of horror B movies made for the video/dvd market. Some class lines in the script  :lol:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I watched Stargate Continuum earlier on tonight.  :-\ I am a fan of Stargate and all things SciFi, but this was a bit disappointing. Your average episode of the modern Dr Who is way better than this poor effort. I do hope nobody wastes their money on going to see this at the cinema. Not bad, though, as an extra long SG episode  :thumbsup:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Last night I finally got round to watching Survive Style 5 and it's really great. It's a bit bizarre but if you take what you can and go with it I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I found it amusing, sad, dramatic, ridiculous, philosophical, blah, blah, blah. Basically, it's worth getting and watching. I don't want to give too much away, but it is a visual feast, and the girl in the house has some rad outfits.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Looks good, the synopsis is hilarious.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
went to see hancock last night, it had its moments but overall i'd wait for it to come on telly not long before the new batmna now though  :thumbsup:

Dr T

• forum hero
saw wanted last night...not bad as action goes low brow semi-Fight club with guns and cars
actually that kinda talks it up a bit -5.5 / 10

going to see kung fu panda tomorrow - have higher hopes for that

saw War a few days back on DVD - would recommend that over wanted actually - less flash more smash 8/10

trailers for Batman and Death race both looked excellent in very different ways

Rice Boy

• stalker
I had above average expectations for Wanted after enjoying Nightwatch by the same director.  I was sorely disappointed.  Dr T thought your description was accurate, which implies a half decent score but I'd say closer to 2/10.  It ticked a lot of right boxes but seemed equally lacking across the board plus .... Jolie was painfully thin, the script was crap, Freeman couldn't of been expected to do anything with those lines, the philosophy was warped, McEvoy is a great actor but the last sceen almost made me piss myself and not in the good way  :shrug:.

Kung fu panda was all good fun - Disney or whoever did it and Buddist philosophy are made for each other.

Reluctant at first I really came round to Definitely Maybe when it was put on chez moi.  It comes across as a fairly real and genuine film, mainly solid acting.

Likely to have already had mention but the Life of Others was excellent, one of the most compelling films I've seen.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
went to see hancock last night, it had its moments but overall i'd wait for it to come on telly not long before the new batmna now though  :thumbsup:

There'e a teaser trailer for Watchmen before this, I don't know which I'm more excited about. Can't wait.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
a teaser trailer for Watchmen

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/must-watch-zack-snyders-watchmen-trailer-absolutely-stunning/   

Looks good! Unfortunately I'm off to the US a couple of days before Batman comes out. But we're flying United so should have some US releases on the little screen.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Watched Perfume on Saturday night. Read the book a while ago and was interested to see how anyone could make a film version work. It was very well done and is worth watching but I'd recommend reading the book instead as that's a work of genius.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
a teaser trailer for Watchmen

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/17/must-watch-zack-snyders-watchmen-trailer-absolutely-stunning/  

Oh that looks great. I hope the film is as good as the trailer.. it looks pretty much spot on in terms of look and feel.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Indeed, I hope that the comic book style that Snyder used in 300 will serve Watchmen well too.

We're flying to the good ol' US of A tomorrow so I'm looking forward to seeing something new from the American release schedule. Hopefully Batman because otherwise I'm in danger of missing out on the cinematic release (not back til the end of August).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Watched Underdog with less-large-Lagers. Not bad really. Jason Lee (Earl from My Name Is Earl) is the voice of the dog (in the style of Earl too) which makes the whole thing more appealing to me than if they'd used some squeeky clean dysney type voice (obviously I would have prefered Brian Blessed). Someone told me that J Lee used to be a pro skater - checked WikiP and it seems to be true  8)

Plattsy

• forum hero
I was totally blown away by the Watchmen trailer I saw this morning on Empire. Popped along here to post it up and you've already been there. Well I for one am truely looking forward to this film.

Saw The Forbidden Kingdom last week and really enjoyed it. It mixes great fight scenes and scenery of modern martial arts films with the cheese, plot and hilarious dialogue from early stuff. Think Monkey meets Crouching Tiger. The Li, Chan opening fight is just brilliant.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
took a chance and went to see the mist on tuesday. I gotta say for a 15 its pretty scary there's some freaky shit goin on in that there mist, non of the acting was particularly oscar standard and i thought the ending was a bit hollywood but overall well worth goin to see 7/10

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I've booked tickets to see Batman at the iMax in Manchester on Monday... should be good.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Am on for some Dark Knight action tomorrow night - looking forward to it as the reviews have been pretty good. Will update once I've seen it!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Am on for some Dark Knight action tomorrow night - looking forward to it as the reviews have been pretty good. Will update once I've seen it!

Understatement of the year tt! We're going next Friday. Not imax unfortunately (as apparently the experience is something else) but I'm still very much looking forward to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal