UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139458 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
300 gets Chez hOU's vote for worst film seen since Xmas. 

Dire.

What?

I think it is ace.

Obviously, 100 Million BC will be everyone's worst film of 2008 - well, those daft enough to watch it anyway  :-[
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 11:51:24 am by lagerstarfish »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

To be honest, I've been feeling really pissed off and miserable since getting back (wish I was still in Font) and sifting through the footage of us having fun last week has just been making things worse and leaving me feeling most uncreative. To try and kick myself back into the swing of things I tried drinking myself unconcious with The Viper, Bob, Bleachy, Andy O (last few days before he goes to prison - again) et al, but still managed to make it home without the assistance of any of the emergency services - I think I was looking for a fight, but got too tangled to talk my way into one (even The Bleach and Ogleby seemed unwilling). Spending time with that lot did make me feel better about myself though  :lol: Mrs Starfish can fill you in on the details of the mess I got myself into  :whistle:

:lol: :spank:

Fucking shit excuse. Get creating a masterpiece to sate my vanity.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass

To be honest, I've been feeling really pissed off and miserable since getting back (wish I was still in Font) and sifting through the footage of us having fun last week has just been making things worse and leaving me feeling most uncreative. To try and kick myself back into the swing of things I tried drinking myself unconcious with The Viper, Bob, Bleachy, Andy O (last few days before he goes to prison - again) et al, but still managed to make it home without the assistance of any of the emergency services - I think I was looking for a fight, but got too tangled to talk my way into one (even The Bleach and Ogleby seemed unwilling). Spending time with that lot did make me feel better about myself though  :lol: Mrs Starfish can fill you in on the details of the mess I got myself into  :whistle:

:lol: :spank:

Fucking shit excuse. Get creating a masterpiece to sate my vanity.

I will get turd-polishing right away boss.  ;)

Leni Riefenstahl will be so gutted that I get to do your promotional work now.... that gives me an excellent idea - how many climbing films have been made in the style of a Leni Riefenstahl propoganda film?
Ha ahahahahaa hahahhahahha ha; I am laughing like a super-villian.

Triumph Of The Blonde - they came from Heeley, Nether Edge und Brighton also. Wir sind Ein Folk, Ein Land, Ein FontLand. Heil Das Blonde. Ubulng Macht Meister, Klettern Macht Frei, Baumwolle Macht Unterhosen. Heil!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:50:50 pm by lagerstarfish »

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
Christ Lagers , times are hard when you can't get into a fight with Andy O ....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Watched The Darjeeling Limited t'other night. If you like other wes anderson films like royal tenabaums, life aquatic with steve zissou, bottle rocket then you will enjoy this as well. Excellent IMO

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
If we're heading in a Bollywood direction I saw Om Shanti Om the other night. Bollywood's biggest blockbuster today, starring none other than Shah Rukh Khan. Genius, in fact so good I'd watch it again. Well I might skip between some of the bits where Shanti is dancing.

Dr T

• forum hero
Watched The Darjeeling Limited t'other night. If you like other wes anderson films like royal tenabaums, life aquatic with steve zissou, bottle rocket then you will enjoy this as well. Excellent IMO

my ex house mate from uni was in that... (and St Trinian's which was terrible but still, good to see her getting work ;D)

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Watched a few recently. Not checked this thread for a while so hope they are new recommendations. . Sean

Vantage Point. Tells the story of the assasination of an president from a few different perspectives. Well put together with some good twists. Bit annoying at times when the camera rewinds. Very watchable!

3.5 out of 5

Into The Wild. Sean Penn creation. Pretty good, based on a true story. Makes you think about life. Wont say any more as it will give it away.

3.5 out of 5

Bank Job. Not your typical bank heist, but well put together in a kind of lock stock way, but without the humour.

4 out of 5

Plattsy

• forum hero
Really looking forward to watching Into the Wild. The main characters decision to go into the wild does appeal to me.

Watched quite a few films recently. Some may have already been mentioned.

Shooter - Mark Wahlberg plays a retired crackshot hired by the government to help foil an impending assassination attempt. My expectation was pretty low for this film so I was pleasantly surprised to find it was pretty good. Some cheesy bits but hey I like cheese. 7/10.

We own the night - Wahlberg (again) and Joaquin Phoenix play brothers to a Chief of police (Robert Duval). Wahlberg is following his fathers footsteps like a good boy and Phoenix is a club boss living on the wrong side of the law. The police are cracking down on drugs and suspicions fall around the club and major events cause Phoenix to re-think. I knew nothing about this film and after watching thought it was ok but no better than that really. 6/10

No country for old men - I guess this might have already been mentioned. Crazy guy chases an unlucky but tough nut who happens to come across a shit load of money. Loved this film, excellent performances although there is one point which really disappointed me. Didn't realise Kelly McDonald (trainspotting) played the trailor trash wife. Impressive accent. 8.5/10.

Tenacious D - The Pick of Destiny - If you like Jack Black give it a go but to be honest I thought it was rubbish. 4/10.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
American Gangster (Dir. Ridley Scott 07)

A great film.  Denzil Washington plays a blinder as the good/bad guy as does Crowe as the bad/good guy.

Very good, watch it.  It's based on a true story - the trailer does not do this film justice.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Into the wild - saw this a couple of months ago at the showroom. Very good, for once those who read the book won't be disappointed. Lots of effort getting stuff right and nice to see the real people involved.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Watched Horton Hears a hOU on Saturday. Nice bit of Seuss oddness and cool animation. I found myself a bit uninterested to start with, but the film got better as it went on. Interesting characters developed well. Lagers Jr loved it.

Rice Boy

• stalker
Mike Leigh's new film 'Happy-go-lucky' was excellent IMO, a big step away from Vera Drake darkness but still with what I'm told by 'his no.1 fan' the duality of life (good times - bad times) theme.

Thought the lead would piss me off after a while but was happily suprised.

Also this looks tres bien ...

http://www.cornerhouse.org/film/info.aspx?ID=2672&page=0

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Watched "Cellular" on TV the other night. So shit that it's fascinating.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched Martin Scorsese's 'The Aviator' last night on Beeb 2 (nice to have no adverts on a TV film) and thought it was great.  A remarkably sympathetic biopic of the young Howard Hughes who I had always had pegged as a monster.  Leonardo DeCaprio was brilliant as Hughes; Cate Blanchett turned in a fantastic performance as Katherine Hepburne and a great turn by an ageing Alan Alda was the icing a on great film.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
 :agree:

One of the best things Leonardo DeSproutface has done I reckon.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I watched 21 the other night spacey holds the film together as you would expect but overall it didn't particularly blow me away 6 out of 10. i just wish they'd made it an 18 where are all the 18 rated films at the moment imagine if they made iron man and 18 or the next hulk i know they never will for commercial reasons but imagine.......

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's a shame I agree Moo. Especially when they make horror films 15, what the fuck?!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Watched Martin Scorsese's 'The Aviator' last night on Beeb 2 (nice to have no adverts on a TV film) and thought it was great.

Really? The trailer made it look awful, I stayed well clear!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
It might just be me, but I watched the first 45 mins - 1 hour and switched off. Got bored and didn't really enjoy it.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
A few recent films: there's nothing like attending near-empty screenings, on your own, in the middle of the day to bring out your film-critic pretencions:

The Orphanage
http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0464141/
A woman returns to her childhood home to set up an orphanage for handicapped children.... but her past intrudes on their future happiness(!)  Creepy little Spanish effort that mainly relies upon a persistant air of lingering unease and the disquiet that odd "unknowable" children can engender (although I admit that aspect of it could just apply to me... I also get "the fear" from sphinx-eyed cats!).  It's not all nuance and mood mind: there are a few moments of proper "body shock" horror; including one that Mark Kermode claimed caused a complete stranger to grab his leg at a screening.   A decent effort and well worth a watch if you fancy some horror that isn't just a disheartening exercise in offal distribution.  The ending personally left me a little unsatisifed but that's always the way with horror isn't it; fantastical plots are just plain incompatible with convincing closure (read any Stephen King novel for an object lesson: generally hundreds of pages of decent characterisation and evocation of small-town USA... followed by an incredibly clunking finale when the monsters finally come out to play!).

[Rec]
http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt1038988/ 
More Spanish horror but of an altogether simpler type.  A pair of fly-on-the-wall filmmakers tail a firecrew to an incident at an apartment block with the action's point-of-view portrayed through the lens of their videocamera.  What's this?... can you see?... someone appears unwell.... and a little "bitey".  Chaos ensues, "the man" quarantines the building and incidents ratchet up with predictable, but still laudable, intensity.  The subject matter and "shaky-cam" approach are admittedly becoming derivative: Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Diary of the Dead etc.  It's almost a sub-genre of horror in itself, but, it is an undeniably efficient combination for providing shocks and the format does have the advantage of lots of screentime for the rather nice leading lady!  [Recs]'s not a classic but it is brutally effective and does exactly what you want and expect - more akin to playing Resident Evil than watching, say 28 Days Later (no GSYBE! on the soundtrack sadly!).       

In Bruges
http://www.uk.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/
A black comedy about two hitmen hiding in Bruges: bad-temperedly enduring the tourist-trail whilst awaiting instructions from the boss.  A bizarre hybrid of Sexy Beast style scabrous low-life gangsterisms and Father Ted-esque whimsy ("you can't give a dwarf ketamine...begorrah!").  I really liked this film, the two leads play-off each other entertainingly with the hangdog Brendan Gleason dragging the sulky unwilling Colin Farrell to examine medieval architecture when he just wants to pull and get pissed (though not on "gay" Belgian beer!).  Despite their professions, past deeds, and predilliction for violence the characters are sufficiently likeable that I almost wanted it to play Odd Couple style for the entire duration.  However, I guess a film must have a plot so events escalate in tragi-comic fashion with the whimsy partly sacrificed for action.  Still, it's a very entertaining ride and probably the best film I have seen at the cinema for a good few months; deliberating on its faults has made me realise just how much of it was right.  The acting is generally top-notch, as whilst Fienne's gangster cameo isn't entirely convincing Brendan Gleason is predictably superb and Colin Farrell's portrayal sufficient that it actually makes amends for "Alexander".  Which is high praise indeed, as rereading a review of mine for that travesty on this thread made me realise . His character is sulky, impulsive and basically bad, yet also funny, sensitive, and oddly rather sympathetic.  Strange that really... who would have thought that Farrell would make a better Dublin gobshite than a 330BC Macedonian tactical genius?!  If only that had occurred to Oliver Stone... the pain that might have been saved... I reckon in the future Alexander will be the subject of filmmakers' ire in the same manner Vietnam was for Oliver Stone ("Alexander is hell: the first casualty of Farrell is credibility").
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 04:05:54 pm by moose »

cofe

• forum hero
Son of Rambow. just a really good film.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Saw 88 minutes last night. Not as bad as the reviews say, but not the best. What you playing at Al! 2/5

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
went to see iron man the other night and for a 12a I was suitably impressed. I wouldn't say it was the best comic book film so far but it aint half bad, my main gripe was that it spends half the time on the story and the other half setting itself up for a sequel which would be no bad thing but it feels a bit like this is an extended trailer for the series to come. I'm fan of Downey junior (as an actor) after seeing kiss kiss bang bang and a scanner darkly, interesting to see how he brings how he brings his style of acting to a role like this and I reckon he pulls it off really well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal