UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139334 times)

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Any wanting a good hour and a half of comedy and violence should rent out "Shoot Em Up".  Clive Owen is excellent and totally hams it up.
:thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Martial arts lovers would probably like Ong Bak.  Picked up for £3 on a whim in HMV it features some stunning fight sequences and a great chase through the streets of Bangkok.  All filmed without the aid of CGI/stunt-doubles/wires, the fights are quite brutal, I'd never seen elbows and knees used to such great effect (despite watching some Muay Thai whislt on holiday there).

Gets the  :thumbsup: from me, and I'll be seeking out some of Tony Jaa's other films.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 02:03:07 pm by slack---line, Reason: filling in details »

Plattsy

• forum hero
Watch Tales from Earthsea last weekend. Comes from the same stable as Spirited Away. Unfortunately isn't anywhere near as good. I think it was hounded by production problems which I think affected the quality of the script. If you like japanese animation it is worth watching and you may enjoy it but it doesn't have the same brilliance of Spirited Away. 6/10.

Also watched the new BladeRunner DVD (Directors cut I think). Not seen it for ages and forgot how much I liked it. Good film although some of the music has dated IMO. It's also interesting to see the view of the future 1980s style. We're only 11 years away from hover cars and seeing advertisements from Atari. 8/10.

Dr T

• forum hero
watched mallrats on tele' again few days back
not as clever as clerks
not as flashy as dogma
but a fucking good laugh never the less
 :great:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's also interesting to see the view of the future 1980s style. We're only 11 years away from hover cars and seeing advertisements from Atari.

....and buildings like this..... ;)

I love Blade Runner. In some ways it's dated but in most it's still such an awesome film. Amazing that it's 26 years old, I've lost count of how many times I've seen it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
What do you think it's about?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
One of the great things about it is that it's open to interpretation in so many different ways. People have all sorts of different theories of what it's "about". I just think it's a damn good sci-fi story, really well done. The central question is "what makes us human?" but it doesn't really answer it. You don't get any answers at all actually but it's not one of those movies that frustrate because of this imo.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I really liked the original cut when it first came out, and bought the director's cut on DVD. haven't bothered with the final cut, is it worth it? I love the film, just find his littel pet robots totally shit, more annoying than JarJar Binks.

What's it about? Apart from being a great sci fi film, I think it is about what we are, how we see ourselves and what makes us humans different from AI.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I quite like the robots. Always found them rather sinister.

JarJar Binks is a fucking abomination. I switched that supposed "Star Wars" shite off and refused to watch any of the other prequels because of it.

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
Never really got into Star Wars ... I was lucky enough to discover The Clash just before all that kicked off .....

andy_e

• forum hero
Went to see Juno last night. I might have fallen a little bit in love with the leading lady, her smart-mouthed dialogue and take on life. Or maybe that was just the screen-writer  ::)

It ticks the boxes for rom-com or chick flick if you're in need of something in those genres, whilst keeping social commentary, depth and a sideways look at teenage pregnancy. And a cute actress to boot. Rated  8)

I was dragged to see it expecting it to be shit, a film about a pregnant teenager? Oh come on,  :yawn: boring or what? However, after the first few minutes the quirky characters and interesting storyline grabbed me and it turned out to be a great film, thoroughly enjoyable and definitely recommended!

Dr T

• forum hero
30 days of night
just finished watching it - genuinely scary
everything it should be from an excellent comic
perhaps we should also have an - "anyone read any good comics recently" thread - or am I the only one....

Paz

• junky
Gets the  :thumbsup: from me, and I'll be seeking out some of Tony Jaa's other films.

See Warrior King, definitely definitely see Warrior King.  It's got another little chase in but if you want even more of that you'll have to check out David Belle and Sebastian Fouqualt (sp?). I like Spirited Warrior, but I like old films and Panna Ritikrai - I Iike it but I wouldn't make anyone else watch it.  I strongly suspect the new Battle Warrior rehash is of similar limited appeal. 

If you liked the other guy in the chase from Ong Bak (Petchthai Wongkomlo (sp?)) the Bodyguard's worth a pop if you don't mind much more of a comedy angle and loads of funny Thai in jokes that probably won't work on you for ages.  TJ's only got a cameo in that but it's awesome.  Then Born to Fight is just stunt work, including some great stuff from gold medal gymnasts and the most dangerous stunt ever, and Bang Rajan's a war epic but both are surprisingly good.

Jaspersharpe - the later two Starwars prequels are much better.  You've got a cool fight with Yoda in for one, and the battle droids get better and better.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

Your right, the soundtrack to this is great, bought it the other day, still haven't seen the film tho. If you like Westerns it's worth checking this if you ain't already:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381849/

On a different note, if you enjoy ludicrous Spanish films that still manage to draw you in:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220580/

Great performances, Max von Sydow is brill, well worth watching.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Always on the lookout for smallfry-director dark terryfying shit, me.

Anyone seen or own ZOETROPE?  P2P?

I'm particularly interested in the soundtrack which is by an American operating under the name of Lustmord cf www.lustmord.com   His work is just fucking terrifying. file under dark ambient industrial futurism or make something up for yourself.  I've been aware of his work for 20 years but never delved furthur.  Time to play catch up.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Both available HERE

Paul B

• forum hero
The Bank Job - quite enjoyed this the other night, ok so some of the acting is a bit wooden but its decent enough and has a few good laughs thrown in.

Motivation material:
Pumping Iron - awesome
Raw Iron the making of Pumping Iron - see above

if you're ever lacking motivation to train during an injury phase I suggest you watch it.

Plattsy

• forum hero
On a different note, if you enjoy ludicrous Spanish films that still manage to draw you in:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220580/

Great performances, Max von Sydow is brill, well worth watching.

Intacto is brilliant. The idea of luck being a commodity is great. Love the blindfolded forest run scene.

Plattsy

• forum hero
I really liked the original cut when it first came out, and bought the director's cut on DVD. haven't bothered with the final cut, is it worth it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/alternateversions

This should give you an idea of the differences between the original, the directors cut and the final cut.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser

I really liked the original cut when it first came out, and bought the director's cut on DVD. haven't bothered with the final cut, is it worth it?

Everytime a new cut of Bladerunner comes out I wet my pants in nerdish excitement. The final cut boxset is worth getting. All versions of the film, including the near mythical workprint cut. But most of them are pretty similar, you really have to search for some of the differences. The documentry's included are excellent, they even manage to persuade grumpy old man Harrison Ford to give a few words. The only thing missing is the Mark Kermode Channel, 4 documentry, not included for legal? reasons.

How cool is Gaff by the way?

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
I don't care if it might turn out to be a bit lame - I can't wait for this:

http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html?deeplink=videos/2/v30

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
100 Million BC (2008) - utter shite. So bad it's almost funny.

The Butterfly Effect (2004) - didn't seem up to much at first, but I got right into it as the characters and plot developed.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Butterfly Effect is good........

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6004.msg135136.html#msg135136

Lagers shouldn't you be busy editing some film instead of wasting your time watching them or posting on here or working or having a life etc?  :whistle:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Lagers shouldn't you be busy editing some film instead of wasting your time watching them or posting on here or working or having a life etc?  :whistle:

To be honest, I've been feeling really pissed off and miserable since getting back (wish I was still in Font) and sifting through the footage of us having fun last week has just been making things worse and leaving me feeling most uncreative. To try and kick myself back into the swing of things I tried drinking myself unconcious with The Viper, Bob, Bleachy, Andy O (last few days before he goes to prison - again) et al, but still managed to make it home without the assistance of any of the emergency services - I think I was looking for a fight, but got too tangled to talk my way into one (even The Bleach and Ogleby seemed unwilling). Spending time with that lot did make me feel better about myself though  :lol: Mrs Starfish can fill you in on the details of the mess I got myself into  :whistle:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
300 gets Chez hOU's vote for worst film seen since Xmas. 

Dire.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal