UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139586 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Just been to see be kind rewind and I thought it was surprisingly good. it does start out as one thing and then end on a completely different note however. There are a few moments of pure genious though (the camouflage scene is priceless)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Prbably going to get slated, but wasn't that impressed with "No Country.....". Some great dialogue, characters etc, but a couple of gaps in the story (obvious to anyone who has seen it) spoiled it for me.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
 :-\ Gaps ?? Without giving too many spoilers.. what did you think was missing?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
have emailed you.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Watch Eagle vs Shark and Michael Clayton last weekend.

E vs S - Described as Napoleon Dynamite meets Muriels Wedding. I don't normally watch rom-coms but I saw this advertised and for some reason I was tempted. I enjoyed it. I liked the fact it was low-budget, no big names etc. I thought it was funny and worth a watch. Set in Wellington, New Zealand. 7/10

Michael Clayton - This shows the dark side to industrial lawsuits in the US and makes it worth watching too. Tilda may have got the oscar but I thought Tom Wilkinson is great as the hot shot lawyer with a chemical inbalance and love of getting naked. I'll definately watch it again as the I think it's the sort of film which can grip you more than once and certainly theres enough info thrown about that you'll have missed something the first time. 8/10

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Ok I went to see Rambo last night and I was worried ... deeply worried. I had heard nothing but bad things about this film  and I so wanted it to be good that i thought about just imagining what it would be like and then pretending that's just how it was. I have to say I thought it was fucking amazing it exceeded my expectations massively and evidently has just been reviewed by too many people who don't know what to expect from an 80's action film. All i wanted was about 1 and half hours of carnage with some filly in story line and that's exactly what is, but with more carnage than that. Stalone doesn't look as old as he does in rocky and he still has some notable ass kicking scenes. All in all well worth the entrance fee

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Watched Sweeney Todd the other night. Really enjoyed it. Found myself drawn in and very absorbed. Loved the general atmosphere of the film.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary

The Assassination of Jesse James By the coward Robert Ford.

imbd gave it 7.9/10  I was prepared to go as high as 8.3 / 8.5.  This is huge on my scale.

Personally I'm w/ Ford:  he was right to blow him away, James asked for it, deserved it, got it.  Shame that Ford . . .   (editted for your viewing pleasure)

Best film this year, great acting, FANTASTIC soundtrack (rare!). IMO westerns are an amazing genre: ur - technology, no semtex, no Ferraris/Gucci et al.  Just people in life/death situations.  Also, rarely, a film w/ narration that was appropriate.  Watch it soon.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I watched the 1993 film The Piano last night. I'd forgotten how good it is. I enjoyed it when it first came out, but this time I got more out of it. Watching it with the benefit of 14 years more experience of people and relationships gave me a very different understanding of the characters in the film - got quite a buzz from noticable gain in my empathy skills. I'm trying to think of other films that might produce similar feelings of personal development...

Mary Poppins works in this way. When I first saw it, it was an interesting story, but viewing it as a parent threw up a whole load of extra stuff that I never noticed before.

Star Wars is just the same for me as when it first came out  :shrug: I'll try it again in another 10 years...

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Oh, I forgot this western from a week ago.  Just brilliant.  I've had a good run w/ wersterns of late.  I dig them more now than when I was younger.  I guess there is less to be fatigued w/ (?).  I'm sick of Hollywood type thrillers (seen loads of late, won't speak of them here.)  Where was I?  Ah yes:

Seraphim Falls

Again, I'd give it a bit more than imdb @ 6.9/10.  Not much but a little more.  Some great performances including one of Brosnan's best.  Liam Neeson, as ever, is great.  Loved the ending.  The trailer makes it out as cheese but it's not; defo worth hiring.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Went to see Juno last night. I might have fallen a little bit in love with the leading lady, her smart-mouthed dialogue and take on life. Or maybe that was just the screen-writer  ::)

It ticks the boxes for rom-com or chick flick if you're in need of something in those genres, whilst keeping social commentary, depth and a sideways look at teenage pregnancy. And a cute actress to boot. Rated  8)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Hire/p2p it if you must but don't pay cinema prices for Lions for Lambs (07 Dir. R. Redford)

Imdb give it 6.2.  It doesn't make 6 on my scale.

And it's:  If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.  They couldn't even get that right.  Oh this is some vague yankie justification for involvement in Afghanistan.  It's not the Kite Runner...

Now I really enjoyed Collateral, and I can't wait for Cruise to pick the ball up he dropped . . .   He's got some stellar performances in him I'm certain, this isn't one of them.  Fuck, Cocktail was twice as good as this!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Eagle vs Shark - Described as Napoleon Dynamite meets Muriels Wedding. I don't normally watch rom-coms but I saw this advertised and for some reason I was tempted. I enjoyed it. I liked the fact it was low-budget, no big names etc. I thought it was funny and worth a watch. Set in Wellington, New Zealand. 7/10

Saw this last night. I didn't see much of the Muriel's wedding other than its in the antipodes...

Very much Napoleon Dynamite though - if you liked it you like this. Main pull is the male lead is Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Conchords. I think the NZ accents are being overplayed  -  I thought they were funny anyway!

With references to Bees and apple cartoons Bonjoy will like this I think.

Plattsy

• forum hero
Now I really enjoyed Collateral, and I can't wait for Cruise to pick the ball up he dropped . . .   He's got some stellar performances in him I'm certain, this isn't one of them.  Fuck, Cocktail was twice as good as this!

Problem with Cruise is that I feel he is Cruise first and the character second in most of his performances. Every film seems to be the Tom Cruise show (in no way am I clouding my thoughts of him as a person with his performances  :whistle: ). Thus I'm watching Tom Cruise rather than Ethan Hawk or John Anderton or Gooseman.

Anyroad. Watched Stardust the other day. Wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. The story is unique (and funny), the acting and locations are good. The effects are quite well done and overall I enjoyed it. 7/10 (for Houd - Imdb 8/10)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The best thing Cruise has done is Magnolia. Ironically this is the role that appears to be closest to his actual personality the more of it he reveals.

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
Sorry if anyone has recommended this one before but "the Counterfeiters" Austrian film based on the true story of an attempt late in the war to destabilise the economies of Britain and America by having Jews in highly skilled in printing, photography plate making under an initially amoral career counterfeiter forge pounds and dollars. Just a brilliant study of someone becoming human.

Paul B

• forum hero
Thus I'm watching Tom Cruise rather than Ethan Hawk or John Anderton or Gooseman.

do you mean maverick?

Plattsy

• forum hero
The best thing Cruise has done is Magnolia. Ironically this is the role that appears to be closest to his actual personality the more of it he reveals.

Not seen this film but I imagine his character to be a right wazzerk.

[/quote]
do you mean maverick?
[/quote]

Thats the chap.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Not seen this film but I imagine his character to be a right wazzerk.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175880/

Watch it. It's a great film.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Magnolia, magnolia, magnolia . . .   *scratches swede*  Need to see that again; just don't recall . . . 

But since it's Cruise Day   *checks calendar*  Ahum, Cruise Day how about Interview w/ A Vampire from '94 (w/ Pitt & I think great) and there's Minority Report from '02 (Perhaps I'm biased as I love Sci-Fi?)   I think Born on the 4th of July from his earlier days '89 which is most watchable.

I'm getting excited about Valkyre Soon to be released, concerning the ever fascinating Nazi's and a plot to snuff Hitler.  (Also starring Strephen Fry, who I know is a fluent and intellectual German speaker)

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
I saw Topgun again a couple of weeks ago on a new home cinema setup and sat wide-eyed-and-jaw-open watching the aerial sequences though, hmmmmmm, afterburner through a meaty subwoofer 8)

And speaking of Magnolia, There Will Be Blood mightily impressed me last night at the big screen. Great writing with a story that didn't follow the usual hollywood arc (just like real life), Daniel Day Lewis in fine fettle and beautifully framed shots. 

9/10 (8.6/10 at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/)

Plattsy

• forum hero
It's not ruddy Cruise day round here.  ;)

Eastern Promises 7/10. If you like gorey hardnosed gangland movies set in London. This is the ticket.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
steve is right on the money with there will be blood its an awesome film particularly impressive is the young chap who was in little miss sunshine his church scenes stand out

Trev Suddaby

Any wanting a good hour and a half of comedy and violence should rent out "Shoot Em Up".  Clive Owen is excellent and totally hams it up.

Anyone else enjoy this film??

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I'm with you there trev leave your disbelief at the door though or you'll be disapointed

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal