UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139342 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I just bought this

Its a bit mad but it also has samuel jackson doing the voicover, well worth the money for anyone who likes a bit manga.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Didn't care for O' Brother where art thou (George is a nonce)

But I can't wait for this new Coen film:

http://www.nocountryforoldmen.com/

andy popp

• forum hero
Didn't care for O' Brother where art thou (George is a nonce)

But I can't wait for this new Coen film:

http://www.nocountryforoldmen.com/

Yes, reports back ASAP please.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
I must have watched the trailer for no country about 10 times I'm well psyched for it!!!!!!!!!!!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
No Country For Old Men....
Well, predictably given the reviews so far, I thought it was very good.  Although it's hard to articulate quite why I liked it so much and define what kind of film it is.  There is a lot of bloody action, yet it is neither gratuitous nor mindless.  There is a lot of stillness and attention to mood, but it is not dull: just beautifully paced and nuanced.  The performances and script are both excellent with dialogue that manages to be quotable yet not seem like it has been shoe-horned in for good trailer material.  If I had to sum it up in a word it would be "restrained"; there is little of the self-aware "kookiness" characterises most of Coens' work (aside from Javier Bardem's hair!).  Possibly the greatest tribute I can pay to it is that I came out of the cinema with a lingering respect for the taciturn, independently-minded folk of Texas... which lasted until I turned on the news and was reminded about US politics.

and on DVD:
3:10 to Yuma
This started off quite well: a good old fashionned western with a debonair, psychopathic villain and a good man "who's gotta do what a man's gotta do".  Unfortunately, it undid all of that good work with a final section and denouement that just beggared belief with it's cack-handed idiocy and betrayal of it's previous character development.

Eddies

• forum hero
I watched 'Black Snake Moan' last week.
I rate it, a great performance from Samuel L Jackson... and a smoking hot chick!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Into The Wild, story inspired by the life experiences of a young bloke who gave away his college earnings and went on the road in america. Brilliantly directed and played by all involved really awesome film, if a bit apple pie

Watched this last night. Brilliant.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Aye, saw that a couple of weeks back too. Superb. What was really surprising was how closely they followed the book.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
No Country for Old Men - Missing a lot! But still very good. Tad slow, but it works. Empire give it 5/5, hmmmm, 3.5/5.
Thoughts?

Near Hueco aswell!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
There was a limited choice of flicks available on the plane over the Atlantic last night so I opted for 'The Jane Austen Book Club', a bit of a soppy Rom Com that warmed the cockles of my heart.  I mention it only because I realised the actress and character (I know it's not real) that I was rapidly falling in love with was the stunningly beautiful and very talented Maria Bello

She won a golden globe playing Edie Stall opposite Aragorn in Cronenbergs A History of Violence and IIRC Bubba called me d*rty b*stard on here after I praised her performance in it.  Worth thinking about out as a 'compromise' DVD rental.. she's a fox.

Over the weekend I watched Exiled by Johny To.  Set in Macau during the handover from the Portugese to the Chinese Authorities it follows the fortunes of a group of friends who ended up working for three separate gang bosses who are now vying for supremacy in the former colony.  Quite odd really being a warm hearted tale punctuated by some fantastic gangster shootout set pieces including one that re-starts as they all wind up at the same hospital having shot each other to pieces in a restaurant.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
Don't know if its been mentioned yet but I saw 'Juno' the other night. Very well acted/scripted and Funny - Recommended if you like odd comedies in the Garden State/Little Miss Sunshine vein.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I was rapidly falling in love with was the stunningly beautiful and very talented Maria Bello

She is stunning.

And a very talented actress of course. :-[

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Just seen the worst Ben Kingsley film ever, The Last Legion  3.5/10 tops & I'm being extremely generous here.  Utterly crass. 

IMBD (see link) gave it 5.4/10 but that's ridiculously high.

Not even the dusky perspiring bosom of  Aishwarya Rai could save it.   :thumbsdown:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
After the horrors of that awful last film I went out and hired the best horror flick I've seen in years.  It's brilliant.  But enough spray.  8/10

Trailer

The oddest thing - the film's actually better than the trailer by miles, weird . . .

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
and on DVD:
3:10 to Yuma
This started off quite well: a good old fashionned western with a debonair, psychopathic villain and a good man "who's gotta do what a man's gotta do".  Unfortunately, it undid all of that good work with a final section and denouement that just beggared belief with it's cack-handed idiocy and betrayal of it's previous character development.

Here, here. Just finished watching this. Started really well, but a very improbable ending lets it down on a big scale!

Looking forward to No Country For Old Men tho.

mark

• forum abuser
Has Primer been mentioned? Saw this last week and have watched it twice more since then in an attempt to puzzle out what was going on and whether it made sense. Highly recommended to the geek contingent on here.

Then watched Pi, which was recommended as similar. Did not think it particularly good and certainly not in the same class as Primer.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I thought Pi was good. not seen it for ages.
Maybe worth watching Requiem For A Dream as well?
Primer is excellent.
Watched superbad earlier, made me laugh most of the way through it. good to watch if your in a bad mood

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Its great that people have seen Primer - a word of mouth dvd hit. I love the fact that it doesn't really make sense.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Maybe worth watching Requiem For A Dream as well?

Meaning you have not seen this masterpiece?  All must watch this film.  Hubert Selby Jr wrote the novel: I think he's one of if not the most important US novelist of the last century.

Paul B

• forum hero
I enjoyed the butterfly effect on Film4 the other night.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Watched The Good Shepherd on DVD late last night after a long day and journey back from London.  Directed by Bob De Niro it charts the rise of the CIA from its incarnation as the OSS in World War II through to the aftermath of the Bay of Pigs through the eyes of a patriotic agent Edward Wilson (played with quiet understatement by Matt Damon).  I really enjoyed it but I was glad I was watching it alone and tired as it lacks a pace and drive that you might expect from a modern thriller.  That said, it's well worth watching and has some really strong performances from Damon, John Turturro, John Sessions (!!) as a KGB defector, Angelina Jolie (who's a damn good actress), Michael Gambon and others.  In fact as I'm typing this I'm thinking that maybe the cast are all just too strong for the film?? Anyway, worth renting, particularly if you don't know much about the chequered history of the Agency. 

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I've been rather inundated with films recently, and all of them have been rather good. I've just watched Bella which reminded why I always wished that life could be more like movies. A lot of the films I've seen in the past few weeks have been amazing epics which pay homage to the medium of film, and although Bella is nicely shot, it has it's roots firmly planted in reality (more so than I realised). A human tale, one that makes you feel pretty good, and makes you wish that you could walk out of work one morning and end the day lying on the beach with a warm breeze stroking your beard. Bella is actually based on a true story, as I just found out afterwards, which goes to show that life really can be like movies.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The Last Winter

Trailer -

Up until the last one second of this film I was enthralled by it - I thought that it ended too quickly, far too quickly and had more to offer - but perhaps not, decide for yourselves. 

I won't say any more, except to say that it has a real favourite of mine in the lead, Ron Perlman -

- who you may recall as Salvatore the hunchback in The name of the Rose.  A great actor, I think.

Give it a whirl.  It's spooky.  I rate it 7/10.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Saw The Kite Runner yesterday. Bloody brilliant. Sadly cant say Ive read the book but I thought the film was spectacular. Get to it.  :great:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The missus says it's her favourite book obn Earth - and she's a novel a week lass.  Trailer looks brilliant:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal