UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139455 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Yes, Eastern Promises is good & 7/10 is fair (nothing ever gets 10/10)

Also, This is England, great film.  Better than Romper Stomper & American History X.  Highly recommended.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Watched a couple of DVDs last night.
The Contract was disappointing. Morgan Freeman was the only good thing about it. The other highly trained professional killers were incompetent. The dramatic bits just didn't work. Emerdale is more exciting, absorbing and convincing. John Cusack was lame and the less well known actors were worse. 4/10
Breaking and Entering was much better. Nothing too exciting, but better than Emerdale. Just an interesting, realistic story about some people in Kings Cross. It did feel like watching an ok tv drama or a very good episode of The Bill (not sure why I think that?). Jude Law's voice annoys me, but it didn't spoil the film. 5.5/10

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just finished watching Angel-A directed by Luc Besson.  Beautifully shot in Paris in black and white with an excellent subtly humorous story line about someone who's down on their luck and gets a little help sorting things out.  :great:

Must have been shot very early in the morning for the streets to be so clear!

Rob

Just finished watching Angel-A directed by Luc Besson.  Beautifully shot in Paris in black and white with an excellent subtly humorous story line about someone who's down on their luck and gets a little help sorting things out.  :great:

I've been waiting for this to appear on the local rental store shelves, but no such luck yet.

Went to see a couple of movies at the flicks this week... stay well clear of Balls of Fury, I went to see it because I'm a fan of Chris Walken but it's a complete stinker... I Am Legend is an adaptation of the same story that spawned The Omega Man and is okay if you like your post-apocalyptic tales.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

I've been waiting for this to appear on the local rental store shelves, but no such luck yet.

T'was only a fiver from HMV (just checked online and its the same price with free delivery).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Watched Stardust last night. What a great film. Excellent fairytale/fantasy type stuff. Good set of decent talent playing well scripted parts. Robert De Niro as a crossdressing sky-pirate captain, Michelle Pfeiffer as an evil witch, Ricky Gervais as a salesman, Sienna Miller as a self obsessed pretty bimbo - all good stuff. Even Peter O'Toole and David Williams in there as well. A good 8/10 from me.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada   (2005 Dir.  Tommy Lee Jones)

Been waiting many months (not for a good) but a great film to come by.  Perhaps this was it.  7.5 or 8/10

I like TLJ; but then I'm a big Burt Reynolds fan.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 08:29:20 am by Houdini, Reason: Q4-k9 »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just got back from watching Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park.

If you enjoyed his Elephant from 2003, then I suspect you'll like this too.

It's the story of a young skater struggling to come to terms with his part in the accidental death of a railroad security guard. Extremely atmospheric with stunning dreamlike skate sequences. Unusual for the use of several amateur actors recruited via myspace. On at the Sheffield Showroom at the moment.

andy popp

• forum hero
Loved Elephant, had meant to post about it before.

chappers

• forum hero
tell no one.
fantastic. watch it.

(why is it that every time i post here it is for a french film!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Tsk Chappers, back on page 11 ;) :lol:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,6004.msg113770

But yes, it's a great film - that bit where she looks up at the cctv camera still makes me shudder thinking of it :)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
Just got back from watching Gus Van Sant's Paranoid Park.
If you enjoyed his Elephant from 2003, then I suspect you'll like this too
caught this last night, lovely lo-fi skating footage (found the rest a bit too much like an 90's calvin klein pants advert) - agree with andy, bubba re. 'elephant' though, real classic - also worth checking out 'gerry' (G V Sant also) for the first scene, driving in the desert to the sound of arvo part

runt

• obsessive maniac
Zeitgeist 2006

May well have been mentioned before? But a really interesting feature length documentary, albeit typically yank and a bit sensational. From god to economics to god to war and back again but that's not really selling it, worth a look though
I'll never look at an banker in quite the same way again....or something

divx link here
http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=20687

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Into The Wild, story inspired by the life experiences of a young bloke who gave away his college earnings and went on the road in america. Brilliantly directed and played by all involved really awesome film, if a bit apple pie

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Moo is truly wrong about Anton Corbijns' Control - I cried frequently, the missus held my hand, we improvised, adapted & overcame . . .

Probably, easily, deservedly straight into my top ten, perhaps top 5.

Growing up in the 80's without Joy Division would've been murder fror me, Moo can't ever understand that.

This is a first rate film: Sams' voice is good, but not as good as Ians'.   Hooky and Rob Gretton are perfect flawless performances.  Wilson was portrayed delightfully (and respectfully).  The producer, Martin Hamnett, was portayed as he should've been, a junkie seer. 

Its's a beautiful work of art - it could never have happened in colour.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The actress who played Annik Honore in Control.

Weapons Grade material, I think you'll agree. 

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Oddly looking a little like Nena of neun und neunzig luftballons-fame.

Time trap technik!

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
OI houdini get your facts straight sunshine, I was full of nothing but praise for control in fact i believe i commented on how i thought the film was brilliant

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Oh sorry, had a recollection you said it was nowt special.  Just thought you must've been potty.  Probably more due to alcohol being served in German theatres . . .    :-[

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Probably more due to alcohol being served in German theatres . . .    :-[

The sign of a civilised society.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
I was uneconomical w/facts.  Yes, booze is served here, also, some is smuggled in.

The frau said I stank like a bum (of port).  I say, serves 'em right. ;)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I stank like a bum (of port)
The sign of a civilised bum

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I've just watched Juno and I am blown away. Absolutely wonderful writing, directing, and acting. The characters are genuinely interesting and "quirky" is the greatest understatement for this film. You should all see it.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Sounds good Uncle. It's on me list.

Here's another quirky gem. Heartlands - a Northern road movie. Full of big-small moments and proper Northerners, it's a journey of self discovey on a moped. Well cast, well directed and warmly written.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartlands-Michael-Sheen/dp/B0002W15DM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200416915&sr=8-1

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Anyone seen this?.......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479046/

Looks interesting but the reviews are mixed to say the least.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal