UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139538 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
The new David Lynch film is wank: 

You mean Inland Empire? Is it still in the cinema? I saw it in February I think. It is challenging, I won't launch into it I can't type very quickley.

Gilliam - Tideland? Is that a recommendation? I haven't heard opinions on this, I thought it was a kids film? 

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Tideland - I watched this recently. There were some nice moments. Much of the film made me a little uneasy. I almost stopped watching, but persevered. In the end, I think it was worth it. Felt like a short story of a film - the sort of thing writers do just to see what it will it turn out like. Sorry this isnt a more coherent critique, but I think I'd struggle to pin this film down without giving a hugely subjective interpretation.

Sam

• addict
i'm surprised no-one has mentioned Control - the Ian Curtis biopic: possibly the finest film you'll see this year - Samantha Morton's portrail of Deborah Curtis is stunning. you all need to see this.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Gilliam - Tideland? Is that a recommendation? I haven't heard opinions on this, I thought it was a kids film? 

I've got/watched Tideland and thought it was very good.  Not really a kids film at all, but its about the innocence of childhood, I guess in this sense its similar to Pan's Labyrinth.  As r-man says there are some rather disconcerting aspects to the film, but its worth watching and having been reminded of it I shall probably watch it again soon.

It does however have Jeff Bridges in a Dude-esque role again (albeit rather short-lived  ;) )

cowboyhat

• forum hero
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Control

Its alright. It looks stunning, (as you'd expect), all performances are very good, great script, but it didn't engage me at all on an emotional level. Like looking at one of Antons coffee table books.

I would be very interested to know what the reaction was of someone who had no knowledge of the story, how it ends. Not many people fit into this category. In that respect its like reading Anna Karenin.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Another vote for control awesome film brilliant performances particularly by the obvious

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The House is Burning.  Darn good, really made me fidget - some of the scenes make quite uncomfortable viewing.  One shattering day in the life...

Little Children.  Do yourself a favour and ignore this film.  Imagine this is popular with a certain type of woman.  DVD only, you don't need to go to the flix for this one.

Zodiac.  Serial killer thriller based on a true story.  A decent and sometimes tense film that ends so very disappointingly.  But certainly still worth watching if you're bored and the missus has gone to Bingo.

Can't wait to see Control.  Waited a long long time to see this (not open in The Reich yet).  I read Touching From a Distance when it was first published.  It's a fine read by-the-way.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Lonely Hearts 'Kin ace film set in the late 40's, thriller/moidormystery starring Salma Hayek as the Ultimate Fruitloop Bitch Murderering Psycho Don't-Turn-Your-Back-To-Her-Lest-You-Want-To-Die-With-Your-Prick-In-Your-Mouth Cutesy-pie Lovemunchkin Manipulative Rabbit-boiler Schemer From Hell, and some other, more balanced individuals, almost LA Confidential (but not that good - what kinda show djew think we're runnin' here?) but nevertheless darn good if you are turned on by the sight of a well-cut suit in a '49 Plymouth . . . And John (lick my jawline) Travolta as Corp-on-The-Verge-Of-Sum-Kynda-Poisonil-Fuckin'-Dwahma-Muthafucka-etc..  etc..

Dead good!  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:34:05 pm by Houdini, Reason: Boosh! »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
13 (Tzameti) was on BBC4 on the weekend. Recorded it but not watched it, don't know if they will reshow it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
watched a bit of this but wasn't really in the mood as its quite harrowing and I was feeling delicate

SA Chris

• forum hero

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
i'm not a great fan of the genre, but sometimes i like to get scared.
i managed to find and watch "the texas chain saw massacre", original version, 1974 i think.
it's amazing.
it's not even scary, but has a tension that never release, and it's plain and crude as sometimes only reality can be. it was inspired by one serial killer of the '50s, that inspired also "the silence of the lambs" and other stuff.
a must see in my opinion.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
thanks for the sympathy there Chris

SA Chris

• forum hero
You know me, I'm a touchy, feely, fingery kind of guy.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Ask The Dust  (Film of the '39 novel by John Fante.)

Good.  But not as good as I wanted it to be.  At first I thought Farrells' casting was a mistake, but his vanity was well up to (main protagonist) Arturo Bandinis'.  Salma Hayek plays a blinder (as per) as fruit-loop Camilla Lopez.

Costumed poorly (it was all too clean); takes liberties with the script a bit, dumbs a few things down that didn't need etc.. but still a decent crack at it.

Film or book?  Book.

LA Times review.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:09:23 pm by Houdini, Reason: ginspell »

Yossarian

• forum hero
9th Company

A Russian film about Afghanistan. Really really good. Well, I thought so. I guess it's trying to be a Russian Platoon or Hamburger Hill or summat. But it's newer, and as such the fighting scenes and effects are a bit more up-to-date. Although there are a few cgi sections that are a little transparent, albeit involving enormous explosions.

However, the cast is top notch, the script tight as Jerry's lycra, and the overall impression one of great accomplishment.

And there are some mean Hinds too...

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Certain it's been mentioned before but I saw The Presteige on DVD tonight. Very good costume caper about two rival magicians. I like films that keep you guessing. It's impossible not to sit there theorising about what's going on. Christian Bale is good. Michael Caine's is "bladdy" excellent and David Bowie's in it too. What more do you need?

chappers

• forum hero
 Presteige - i went to see it in the cinema. i have this on dvd now, it is really good. people should see it.

count down the days until the new batman....

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
batman there is a new batman why was i not informed of this, though i think we should all agree that he's not really a superhero he's just filthy fucking rich

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
batman there is a new batman why was i not informed of this, though i think we should all agree that he's not really a superhero he's just filthy fucking rich

First I'd heard of it too. Fucking sound. Christian Bale is class as Batman..........

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
"Threads" on google video

imdb

If you live in Sheffield it's especially worth a watch.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 12:10:11 am by Bubba »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Fantastic recommendation, Bubs!   I love Cold War Paranoia films, and used to watch this frequently when I was younger - full-on post-viewing nightmares!  :o

To get the full flavour of the times, may I recommend watching SCUM immediately afterwards.  If you can find a slab of Skol to quaff with it - all the better.

Has anyone seen Bubba - vs - Ho-tep

(The King - vs - The King of the Dead.) This DVD has been staring at me for well, about a year, waiting to be hired.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Watched 'the woodsman' starring Kevin Bacon last night. Basically the story of a paedophile recently released back into the community on parole. Shows his struggles to readjust in a very impartial light. The film caused controversy at the time for portraying a paedophile in a sympathetic manner. It's better than it sounds. Character based film, rather than events based - so it can seem a little ponderous at times - but well acted and well realised. Worth a watch, I reckon.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com

First I'd heard of it too. Fucking sound. Christian Bale is class as Batman..........

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

they're filming part of it out in honkers this week - will keep my eyes open for any superstars strolling down the street

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
holy shit i have just finished watching "13 (Tzameti)"

by Gela Babluani. it has left my mind shattered, it is the most brutal mind fuck i have seen, makes requiem for a dream look like bambi. one scene of it had me in tatters, edge of seat, nerves in bits.
amazing, i would recomend it highly, brilliantly shot.

(oh yeah, its in french)

anyone else seen this?

Watched this at the weekend (on the back of recommendations here  :) ).  I "enjoyed" it, its very well shot and very tense, but felt the ending let it down a bit.  Not wanting to spoil it for anyone, but I kind of guessed something along the lines of the ending would happen, so the last 10-15 minutes was really just waiting for it.  Overall a pretty good film though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal