UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139244 times)

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
anyone else seen this?
agree chappers, well worth a watch, very fraught - also looked like it was set in the woods somewhere near font?

chappers

• forum hero

Just seen "Zodiac" which was also very good: gripping throughout its length

yes yes, how good was the "movie poster scene" in the basement?! i could have swallowed my hand i wanted to bite it so hard in the cinema.

see this people, its great, amazing casting, with some nice lighter moments of comedy. (want to read the book now too!).

Paz

• junky
I've been checking out thid old list of `top 10' kung-fu films I found:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030701204801/http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/feature.jsp?id=113425

Still a few more to go, but the results so far are that:

Brotherhood of the Wolf is well good. 

It's got enough French costume drama normal film stuff (like a plot etc.) to keep any other halfs you might have happy as well without getting annoying, which is good as the fights are ace.  The man Dascascos seems to have an underground following so if you know better, stop me now before I check his older films out further. 

Fist of Fury and even Way of the Dragon are better than Enter The Dragon - it's good but apart from the ace set pieces to me this always feels a bit like a cheap ass second rate bond film.  Anyway they're Bruce Lee, nuff said.  The Jet Li one was so so and while Iron Monkey was alright, Once Upon a Time in China was better in comparison IMHO.  Out of the Jet Li ones (apart from Hero obviously) I can't believe I never heard of Fearless when it came out - it's not just cool just because you can see it as a prequel to Fist of Fury (though they probably made hundreds of these).

If I must flesh out any more recommendations with links then I don't know why I haven't mentioned Drunken Master before as it stands up so well to all these recommendations of other people's. 
I also really liked Wing Chun, (I can't be the only one who after seeing Crouching Tiger... wondered why I'd never seen Shu Lien in anything else before (having forgot about Tomorrow Never Dies)). 

With some `normal' films:
It could be a little hard to find, but Underground is really really too - don't think it's been on the thread yet.  Finally I might just have been pissed, and it might just because I'm sick of US teen movies, and it could fall into the so deliberately crap it's hilarious category but I laughed more through Getting Any than through any other film I've seen in years. 

saintlade

• player
Feel I must second Nibs reccomendation :great: "dead man" by jim jarmush, fantastic film, a little trippy and arty but very funny with that fellah Johnny Depp. Cool music score, seem to remember it's by Neil Young but my memory may be lying to me as is oft the case.

Scouse D

• forum hero
holy shit i have just finished watching "13 (Tzameti)"

by Gela Babluani. it has left my mind shattered, it is the most brutal mind fuck i have seen, makes requiem for a dream look like bambi. one scene of it had me in tatters, edge of seat, nerves in bits.
amazing, i would recomend it highly, brilliantly shot.

(oh yeah, its in french)

anyone else seen this?

More importantly Chappers it's filmed in Font!! Can't believe you missed that bit!

I've just watched 'The Lives of Others'...Fantastic, I implore you all to watch it.

Stubbs

Fist of Fury and even Way of the Dragon are better than Enter The Dragon - it's good but apart from the ace set pieces to me this always feels a bit like a cheap ass second rate bond film.  Anyway they're Bruce Lee, nuff said.  The Jet Li one was so so

I think that's a pretty poor list TBH, for better Jet Li action check out Fist of Legend (remake of fist of fury) and Twin Warriors if you haven't already seen them.

I guess it's an old list, but I think Kung Fu Hustle deserves a place on any top ten martial arts list now, and how there's not a Segal film there i'll never understand...

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Watched The Wind that Shakes the Barley over the weekend. It's a Ken Loach film about the struggle for Irish independence - set in 1920 just after the first world war.

I thought it was brilliantly realised film, and my eyes were full of tears for most of it. One of the most interesting aspects was the uneasy allegiances that nationalism elicits, and how these allegiances soon fall apart in the most destructive manner possible once power is actually gained.

It was the winner of the PALME D'OR at the 2006 Cannes Film Festival apparently.

chappers

• forum hero

More importantly Chappers it's filmed in Font!! Can't believe you missed that bit!

I've just watched 'The Lives of Others'...Fantastic, I implore you all to watch it.

i figured it was font, but could not be arsed checking there are plenty of woods in france that look like that im sure!

I saw lives of others last night. very good indeed, thanks for the tip scouse.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Watched Sunshine and 1408 on the plane. They are both shit. I thought Sunshine was especially disappointing; could have been a cross between Armageddon and Event Horizon, but ended up with the worst bits of both,.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Babel Almost Paul Auster-esque.  Everything seems incongruous for ages then it all clicks together.  I like this type of film.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Yeah, I enjoyed Babel.

Atonement is good too, but it's no bundle of laughs that's for sure.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
With eye candy that hot, there's no time for laughter...

chappers

• forum hero
i watched babel the same day as last king of scotland, i remember i liked it, but not as much as the other.
i will watch it again to make sure!

it is by the same director as 21 grams and amores perros, two films i would recomed highly!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
amores perros

Daft Frau indoors only went and bought this on DVD with German-only subtitles!  Been gagging to watch this.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
Just watched trailer for '13', looks great. Reminded me of a Spanish movie starring Max Von Sydow, 'Intacto'. Money making through being lucky and russian roulette bsaed themes. Pretty good.

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds

not sure if 'old boy' has cropped up on this thread yet, but it is pretty dark and twisted - a scene where the dude eats a live and squirming octopus in a restuarant had me jump behind the couch

andy_e

• forum hero
I think Babel's shit- the stories are only just linked together, tenuous in extremis.

Gibb

Old Boy, now theres a film and a half. Classic of its genre.

Maybe a bit Old Skool but watched The Big Lebowski last night. Wished I had watched it years ago, got to be in my top 20 films of all time now.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I think Babel's shit- the stories are only just linked together, tenuous in extremis.
isn't that the whole point?

i watched intimacy the other day, as the final part of yossarian's kureishi season.

on reflection it's better than the mother. the irritating daughter in the mother (who i'm sure is supposed to be extra irritating) just irritates a little too much. but intimacy really was good. this may be because of a variety of locations in which i have spent too much time. aka, my favourite bar for many years, and the barons court theatre, where i nearly cracked my head open on a number of occasions. if you aren't interested in my post-student day reminiscences, there's an erect penis and lots of shagging in it...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom

Maybe a bit Old Skool but watched The Big Lebowski last night. Wished I had watched it years ago, got to be in my top 20 films of all time now.
You only just watched big lebowski!!!!

go and give me 50 soldier

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Ratatoulille. Obviously better if you have kids to take.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
yesterday night i watched "slevin" and it's excellent.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?".  Badass.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I watched 28 Weeks Later on DVD last night and it was better than than I had expected - quite chilling in a 'hmm this could almost actually happen' way.  It tailed off a bit in the final third when it degenerated into a bog standard chase sequence but the rest of the film makes up for it.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
The new David Lynch film is wank:  get it out on vid if you must but don't go to the cinema to see it.  I've blocked it's name out.

The new Terry Gilliam film is tres bizarre, I'd fidget too much to make it through a bigscreen viewing.  Decent enough but hardly mining new territory in film.  I've lost the title to alcohol.

LK of Scots = shit hot Amin performance, chilling stuff.  We need more film like this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal